Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2015, 07:55 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
11 years old and I still have 3/4 of the tread left. I've only owned the coach for a month so not sure of the original tire history. But the two previous owners still live in the area so someday I'll ask the original owner as to why the first tires needed changing after 4 years.

I had asked the previous owner to balance the front tires before taking possession, but otherwise haven't been unhappy with the ride. Hopefully the tires hang in their til late fall or spring. My furtherest trip til then will be about 300 miles. Leaving in a couple days for a 200 mile trip.

The only place I'd be driving to in an RV with 11 year old tires on it is to the nearest tire shop for new ones.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2015, 08:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
11 years old and I still have 3/4 of the tread left. I've only owned the coach for a month so not sure of the original tire history. But the two previous owners still live in the area so someday I'll ask the original owner as to why the first tires needed changing after 4 years.

I had asked the previous owner to balance the front tires before taking possession, but otherwise haven't been unhappy with the ride. Hopefully the tires hang in their til late fall or spring. My furtherest trip til then will be about 300 miles. Leaving in a couple days for a 200 mile trip.
Be sure to sign up for roadside service before you leave your driveway, quite likely you will need it for tires.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #17

Let us know the results of your trip

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The pressure on the sidewall is the minimum to support the maximum rating of the tire, see my previous post for the supporting info.
Is what you are saying true for all tires or some RV types? My tires say max pressure 80#. Your statement suggests that I can go higher.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
I would stick with Michelins for the rv. I use other brands for local vehicles but the rv and suv that get distances from home are riding on Michelins. As far as tire pressure you should use the axle weight and the pressure chart to determine the exact pressure. The sidewall pressure is the max pressure at max weight which will make the rv ride harsh if running light. I buy my Michelins thru the fmca advantage program .
Rod
IASM
Haven't you seen the numerous threads about Michelin sidewall cracks?
After my recent experience with Michelin tires I would suggest anyone considering new RV tires do a search for "Michelin sidewall cracks".
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Just replaced my five year old Michelin XRV tires with new (one month old) Michelin XRV tires. Even though they only had cosmetic cracks due to sun exposure (the interior rears had no cracks), Michelin paid for 75% of the cost of the steers, and 70% of the cost for the rears. Have covered storage now, so the new tires are out of the sun when stored, I will own them for many years to come.

Incredible customer service from Michelin, they really stand behind their product.

The fact that you own 11 year old Michelin's without any cracks is a testament to their quality.

I've run Michelin's for 40 years on multiple vehicles without a failure or even a flat tire. The ride is superior, the customer service outstanding.

It's Michelin's for me!

Cheers!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

The pressure & load info shown on the sidewall can be very confusing because it means different things for different types of tires. It's different for a "P" passenger tire than for a heavy truck tire, for example. Or for an ST trailer tire. Also, a P-metric tire will usually have an actual "max inflation" stamped elsewhere on the tire, maybe in fine print near the bead edge. That really is the design maximum! Big truck & bus tires, however, basically just say Max xxx lbs at yyy psi.

On the large tires used on most Class A's the definition is as Mr.D described. It's the pressure that produces the maximum rated load and not the max usable pressure. However, there is little reason to exceed the max sidewall pressure by more than about 10 psi. An extra 10 psi helps assure you still have the required pressure if the weather suddenly turns cold or a small leak develops and you can't immediately fix it or air up.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:01 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
There is also a max pressure rating on your rims, at there is on mine. My tires are rated to 130 and the rims 120.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:19 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My insurance offers some roadside service, but am about to sign-up for Coach-Net before leaving on Thursday for the 200 mile trip.

When I picked up the coach a couple weeks ago, I was told it was completely serviced by a local business. However, I think 'completely serviced' meant they changed the oil and filters and greased the joints. However I will not be using the business for my servicing because I keep finding little things that weren't checked like tire pressure. Tonight I found an inside dually with no air. I aired it up and if it's significantly low on air in the morning, it's going to the tire shop where I'll have them fix it and do a general inspection of all the tires and get me a quote for some new rubber. Always something . . . .
Old 08-04-2015, 09:25 PM   #24

Don't be surprised if the tire shop won't repair an 11 year old tire. Most won't, due to the liability concerns. Michelin's web site says that their tires should be replaced before they're ten years old.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:29 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What's the chance of finding my size tire? XZA 275/70R 22.5. I couldn't even find that size in some of the online stores. If a tire shop happened to have 6 lying around, I'd be tempting to just tell them to install them.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:37 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Keep in mind how much damage a blown out tire can do, 11 year old tires, id be heading to the tire shop, why wait until fall?
Old 08-04-2015, 09:39 PM   #27

That's not an uncommon size. Lots of companies make them, not just Michelin. I'd think you should be able to find a set without too much trouble.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:10 PM   #28

Yes, the tire was manufactured the 8 week of 2004. I would suggest you look at Toyo tires. Good tire and reasonable price. I am on my second set and will replace with Toyo when the time comes.
CarlGeo is offline   Reply With Quote