Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 10:36 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Was this tire made in 2004?

Fact-checking myself. Was the tire in this picture made in the 8th week of 2004?

Where do I find what pressure my tires should be at? The data plate inside my coach just shows the maximum pressure of 120 pounds cold. Same as printed on the tires. The front tires were recently balanced and those have 95 pounds. I suppose the duels on the back should also be 95-100 pounds?

And if you didn't replace these tires with Michelins, what brand would you go to next. Yokohama?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	102030   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0489.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	102031  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 10:40 PM   #2

Yep, that's an 11 year old tire!

Whatever brand you replace it with, please do it SOON!!!!

Old 08-03-2015, 10:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I was afraid you were going to confirm that . . . . ugh!
Old 08-03-2015, 11:07 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The pressure on the sidewall of a Michelin RV tire and many others is not the "Maximum" the tire should ever have (unlike car tires) it is the minimum to support the maximum rated carrying capacity of the tire.

From the Michelin RV Tire Guide:
Quote:
"If you look at the tire's sidewall, you'll see the maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating, and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry the maximum load."
From page 6 of the GoodYear RV Tire and Care Guide:
Quote:
"How much air is enough?
The proper air inflation for your tires depends on how much your fully loaded RV or trailer weighs. Look at the sidewall of your RV tire and you’ll see the maximum load capacity for the tire size and load rating, as well as the minimum cold air inflation, needed to carry that maximum load."
From TOYO:
Quote:
Q: What are the consequences of inflating the tires to accommodate the actual loads?
A: If the inflation pressure corresponds to the actual tire load according to the tire manufacturer’s load and pressure table, the tire will be running at 100% of its rated load at that pressure. This practice may not provide sufficient safety margin. Any air pressure loss below the minimum required to carry the load can result in eventual tire failure.
But then they go ahead and publish a weight/pressure chart allowing lower pressure for RV's!!

From the August 2010 Motorhome Magazine "Tread Carefully" tire article:
Quote:
The maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry that maximum load are located on the tire’s sidewall.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:09 PM   #5

I would stick with Michelins for the rv. I use other brands for local vehicles but the rv and suv that get distances from home are riding on Michelins. As far as tire pressure you should use the axle weight and the pressure chart to determine the exact pressure. The sidewall pressure is the max pressure at max weight which will make the rv ride harsh if running light. I buy my Michelins thru the fmca advantage program .
Rod
Old 08-03-2015, 11:09 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I went with Sumetomo's. Suppose to be a good, middle of the road tire, Rides nice.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:09 PM   #7

If you do go with Michelin , the inflation chart is in this file.
But you'll need to weigh the coach loaded for travel.

EDIT : three posts at the same time ... are we trying to set a record here or what.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf michelin tires for RVs.pdf (1.58 MB, 194 views)
Old 08-03-2015, 11:11 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
I would stick with Michelins for the rv. I use other brands for local vehicles but the rv and suv that get distances from home are riding on Michelins. As far as tire pressure you should use the axle weight and the pressure chart to determine the exact pressure. The sidewall pressure is the max pressure at max weight which will make the rv ride harsh if running light. I buy my Michelins thru the fmca advantage program .
Rod
The pressure on the sidewall is the minimum to support the maximum rating of the tire, see my previous post for the supporting info.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:58 PM   #9

.....and very early in 04!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:22 AM   #10

Mr d. Im not sure if im reading your post correctly but its my understanding that the listed weights and pressures on the sidewall are the not to exceed number which means to me a tire listed at 130psi and max single load of 9090lbs would mean to never load over 9090lbs and never exceed a cold inflation pressure of 130psi. I want to be careful with post regarding tires since the information is being distributed widely via the forum. Your quoted comment regarding minimum pressure could be interpreted that its ok to inflate above the maximum cold chart pressure. If using the chart then the listed pressure is the minimum for the listed weight but never will the chart pressure exceed the max cold pressure listed on the sidewall.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:13 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you're are a member of FMCA (or Join), they have the Michelin Advantage Tire Program. You buy direct from Michelin and pay separate for mounting, balance, etc. It is a savings.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:03 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since you have a 2000 model MH , it looks like your original tires only lasted 4 years. Why would you even think about replacing your 11 year old tires with another brand. Those Michelins are still in service after 11 years. You now know that Michelins will last 11 years, why bother with any other brand, what more are you looking for in a tire? Was there a problem with the ride or traction?
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:31 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
11 years old and I still have 3/4 of the tread left. I've only owned the coach for a month so not sure of the original tire history. But the two previous owners still live in the area so someday I'll ask the original owner as to why the first tires needed changing after 4 years.

I had asked the previous owner to balance the front tires before taking possession, but otherwise haven't been unhappy with the ride. Hopefully the tires hang in their til late fall or spring. My furtherest trip til then will be about 300 miles. Leaving in a couple days for a 200 mile trip.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
11 years old and I still have 3/4 of the tread left. I've only owned the coach for a month so not sure of the original tire history. But the two previous owners still live in the area so someday I'll ask the original owner as to why the first tires needed changing after 4 years.

I had asked the previous owner to balance the front tires before taking possession, but otherwise haven't been unhappy with the ride. Hopefully the tires hang in their til late fall or spring. My furtherest trip til then will be about 300 miles. Leaving in a couple days for a 200 mile trip.
The fact that the tires need balancing after all of this time may be a clue that the 1 or more tires are coming apart.

I just replaced 6 tires because it felt like one front one came out of balance. On the way to the tire shop ( 40 miles ) two of the rear started acted the same way. My Tires had 18,000 miles, were 8 years old and looked like new.