Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: About your First motor home?
Kept it (have it) at least 3 years because I'm paying on it. 0 0%
Kept it over 3 years because my choice was the right choice 36 63.16%
Traded/Sold my first one within 2 years to get the Right one 19 33.33%
Sold my Motor Home to get out of motor homing... 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2018, 06:54 AM   #1

Was your FIRST motor home right??

We all do our research and ask around before we jump into something, and then we find out that somebody else's thoughts may or may not be the same as ours.

Was your first choice what you expected it to be?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2018, 07:25 AM   #2

Yes , pretty much .
We didn’t have a lot of money , o didn’t want to finance something to find out I didn’t like it , so bought cheap , that way I didn’t have a lot of money invested in something I didn’t like .
We had a lot of fun with it weekend camping for 3 years , than sold it for what I paid for it .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:35 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't check any of the poll because nothing really came close to our need/use.

Our first MH was purchased specifically for one trip, Alaska..

It was a 21ft Micro-Mini Class C on a Toyota chassis.. Gas was $4 a gallon in the lower 48, $8 in northern Alaska, so getting 15 mpg was a make / break for the trip..

The MH was inexpensive enough so that if something serious happened, we could abandon it. i.e. if we broke down in Prudhoe Bay, it would cost several thousand dollars to tow it back to Fairbanks.

We sold it a couple years later for more than we paid for it, and bought something a little larger that would meet our current needs. (2001 Mirada)

http://iflyez.com/alaska/

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:40 AM   #4

We looked at Motorhomes for years. Always wanted to try the lifestyle, so decided we would sell our home (wanted to down size anyway), and buy a Motorhome. House sold much quicker than expected and still didn't have a coach. Went to the local Holiday World and a local rancher was trading the Dynasty in for a newer model. My wife walked in and said thus feels like home. We made the deal and the rest is history.
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #5

Kept my first one for five years. It was a 37 ft gas. I liked everything about it except it only had one slide, and it was gas. I moved up to a 37 ft diesel pusher for the ride comfort and engine brake. It still only has one slide, but the price was right. Am still shopping for the right one. Price dictates what I buy. Im not looking for new, so I am very patient waiting for the good deal to come along in the type I want.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:31 AM   #6

I did not check any of the boxes either, right or wrong had little to do with my first coach. It was a hand me down class B camper van from my parents when I was in my late 20's, they had bought it used to try out having a small RV, and after a couple of years upgraded to another similar size (better/nicer) class B on a higher GVWR chassis. Going in I knew it had a number of faults, was under powered, not all that stable to drive, high mileage, cheaply built, etc., still I kept it for 3-4 years, and used it mostly for weekend trips. The eventual reason for selling it, had little to do with use, or appropriateness, and instead had to do with the ever increasing cost of maintenance and repair. Also I had some life style changes going on, getting divorced, etc.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #7

I don’t see any boxes
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:38 AM   #8

I'm on my sixth one. This one is a diesel pusher that I special ordered, picked up at the factory. Let me clear,..... NONE have been my first choice. I always have to settle for less than what I really want.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:39 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
I suspect the first one was the right one for the poll purpose.

In our 17th year with it but it has no slides. We might enjoy some slides.

So maybe it wasn't right after all?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My first RV was a used 16' TT bought in 1968 after having started RV'ing with my parent's in 1957.
Didn't buy my first MH (17' 1988 Type B) till 1988, kept it till 1997.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:30 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
When I retired (2005) we looked for our first motor home. We wanted something cheap because we didn’t know if we would like the life style or not. Kept that one for a year and traded up. Kept the second one for 7 years until we got the one we have now.

I think it’s a good idea to start cheap to see if you like it.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:16 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Because of posts on another form 17 years ago that "36' MAX for public CG" I bought a used 36' DP. Took all of one trip west to learn that's BS so traded for a 40' one slide Beaver. Once we could use more than 100 days/year decide to spend some serious money and ended up with a slightly used 04 Dynasty 42' (first year of 4 slides) that we snowbird in and go out west every other summer...boondocking most days.

Recently had a eager buyer with cash for our Dynasty so after 14 years we upgraded to much the same but nicer, a 08 HR Navigator 45'...so #4 is the last one.

.The boxes are near the top above the posts
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:26 PM   #13

our THIRD one is, or at least I think it still is : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:16 PM   #14

5 yrs with ours and still happy camper.