RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2019, 08:55 AM   #1

Wash and waxing

Looking for recommendations for washing and waxing procedures and products for the exterior of my Motorhome.

Dinop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2019, 09:07 AM   #2

I use https://shineononline.com/. Cost is about $100, it's a sealer used for fiberglass boats and will last about 2 years for the sides and 1 year for the front cap.

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #3

I use Aero Cosmetics Waterless Wash and Wax on our 40 pusher. Product is made in Texas for aircraft. It includes UV protection. Cost is under $30.00 per gallon. You will need micro fiber towels and pads. Our 14 year old coach looks great!
Steve and Linda's APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:20 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The pros recommend natural fiber like 100% cotton for wax on and off as microfiber usually contains synthetics like polyester that will scratch clear coat. They also say no brushes only use lambswool for washing and mild detergents like baby shampoo and white vinegar. Unless you have a previously owned coach that someone else has already ruined then use whatever you want.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:23 PM   #5

I use just a tad of dishwashing soap, that's it. 12 year old coach still looks new!
Has a LOT to do with the type of paint and such.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:59 PM   #6

If it has fiberglass, I use Polyglow on everything including my boat
dans1999f-53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:53 PM   #7

We like the Aero Cosmetics spray for light cleaning/polishing/touch-up but use Meguiar's Gold Class soap & de-ionized water rinse for a "real" wash. Lucas Slick Mist Tire & Trim Shine on the tires.

Meguiar's paste wax twice/year.
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #8

There is a pro detailer that has weighed in on this a couple times with very detailed comments which seem to be right on the mark. You can probably find them if you want to read a few pages.

I use Aerospace products and to me it is the best bang for the buck. Anything that goes on easy is going to have to be repeated at least three times per year. A good wax will possibly make it one year but takes a lot of time and effort.

For me the synthetic spray and wipe works well as I need to get the road grime off anyway and the only way is to rub it off with mild detergent and then I follow that up with one of the Aerospace products.
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I'm also a happy user of Aero Wash Wax. We bought the kit (which included the telescoping pole) several years ago & have used nothing on our coaches since. Easy to apply & leaves a nice shine.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:41 PM   #10

Use a car wash product or baby shampoo to wash with so not to remove any existing wax. Then use any of the modern spray on / wipe off “Waxing products”
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:01 PM   #11

Another Aero Wash Wax user. We bought the entire kit including the applicator on a long pole. Fairly easy to use and leaves a nice shine.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:07 PM   #12

I use Meguiar's Ultimate wash and wax. It's a waterless wash and wax with a high lubricity. It leaves my coach spotless and shiny every time, and I can do the coach two times with one bottle that cost less than 10 bucks at Walmart. Spray on wipe off no buffing simple and easy.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:50 AM   #13

Which kit did you get? In looking I can see a few different kits, which is recommended?
climber15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:58 AM   #14

To the OP, it appears to me that you have a coach (Tiffin) with full body paint.....

Unless you are a going to get very serious about your paint, the differences between one product / brand or the other of car wash soap, wax or sealant is going to be generally negligible as long as they are appropriate products for the application. Which means, that for an RV with body paint it’s pretty much like washing / “waxing” your car, and your results are generally going to be dictated by your expectations and the related time / effort involved.

Detailing is a passion for me. Many people may think I’m nuts, but I thoroughly enjoy the time and effort I put into this on all my vehicles. I’m just trying to help and while some of my remarks may come off as snide comments, I’m simply trying to set expectations for folks.

Start with my post #31 in this recent thread, regarding “waxing”, and follow the other referenced links to other wash/wax threads for a lot more info / discussion. It gets (very) deep.....

First wax

Regards, and good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1C5F1D8-30C5-4350-81F8-C2ABC0B01E17.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	268522  

Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote