Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #1

Wash Me!

Where do you wash your RV when washing it at home isn't an option (people living in HOAs know what I'm talking about)? I'm especially interested in getting the undercarriage clean due to winter driving on salted roads.

I'm guessing (hoping) truck washes are an option but have no knowledge about those.

Thanks,

Riover

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good question, I'm interested in the answer as well!

Old 01-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i think most big truck stops have a place to wash 18 wheelers. so rv would be no problem. maybe a flying j gas station i heard something abt them on this subject.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:38 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When we were fulltimers, I would wash a couple of times a year at an RV park that allowed rig washing. I've had it done I think twice by a vendor the park allowed in for washing.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Blue Beacon truck wash centers. you can find locations on their site.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
You might find a self service wash that will accommodate your size rig. Some have a pad that is not inside a building for that purpose.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #7

RV washing

found a truck washing facility in Palm Springs CA they charge $1.50 per foot and $1.00 on Fridays

Jim
Old 01-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
bjo

we were just driving our car down I75 Southand saw a truck wash right nxt
to Flying J. but this Truck wash was not connected to Flying J so we pull off I75 just to ck it out and they will wash MH any size $45 to $50 and they were washing a big rig truck and said they will do under and all. The truck driver said they did a good job. he said some don't do so good.
Just a thought.
BJO
bjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I had mine washed at blue beacon in Knoxville TN yesterday. I don't think I will do it again. I can say it is cleaner than it was but by no means what I would call clean. For 50 bucks I expected more than a slightly cleaner coach. They only used high pressure wands and no brushes.
jfleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleeman View Post
I had mine washed at blue beacon in Knoxville TN yesterday. I don't think I will do it again. I can say it is cleaner than it was but by no means what I would call clean. For 50 bucks I expected more than a slightly cleaner coach. They only used high pressure wands and no brushes.
Well I can't say they would all be the same but the one at the SanAtonio exit here in FL did an excellent job on ours. Our coach was never that dirty from the drive down from MI. For $52.00 they washed the coach, car and my bicycle and I was in there less then 15 minutes tops. They didn't touch the coach with any brushes either just a cleaner and then sprayed it off. I only wish I had taken a before and after picture. I'm in impressed and for sure would use them again.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I use truck washes when traveling. Usually under $50 and much cheaper than having it washed at most RV shops. Sometimes they do a better job than I do, some times not quite as good, but for $50 it is an acceptable job.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
If you have a Norcold fridge with the recall 3"x3" box fitted, then be careful not to get this box wet when using a truck wash. You may end up learning about "the dreaded red light" because your fridge may stop working until you learn about the now famous "magnet trick".

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riover View Post
Where do you wash your RV when washing it at home isn't an option (people living in HOAs know what I'm talking about)? I'm especially interested in getting the undercarriage clean due to winter driving on salted roads.

I'm guessing (hoping) truck washes are an option but have no knowledge about those.

Thanks,

Riover
3am VERY localized rainstorm?
Old 01-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #14

I have a portable pump that enables me to wash anywhere and draw water from any source. When I had big rigs, I carried a small pressure washer to get the crud off underneath, I can draw water from my tanks, or from any body of water. I have washed in roadside stops, parking lots or about anyplace I can stop and get away from traffic. Generally I put water and washing liguid in a bucket and use a soft wash brush, then rinse with the hose or PW. One really does not need a lot of water to rinse only. I measured the flow with my flow meter once just to see how much I consumed. Can't recall the amount but it was not all that much but water useage obviously depends on the coach size

I do this often before I go into a campground that does not allow washing.

I have stayed at campgrounds with a wash bay where one pays for time on the sprayer.

Some self wash bays will accept big rigs also, have used those many times and I have had portable wash services where a guy comes around with his own water and does the job, however I prefer to do my own washing or at least my own finish job.

At home I can wash outside or in my RV garage,

I have used truck wash facilities also. One north of Tucson AZ did a super job, there were at least 10 people cleaning and wiping it dry. I usually give generous tip with so many people doing a good job. It looked to me that the folks doing that needed additional financial support.

So to answer the OP, figure out a way to wash from your tank or any water source and wash wherever you can park and do it.

Good luck.