Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Washed the roof

Decided to take on the task tonight to wash the roof. I need to do some sealing on the roof so I thought I would start with washing it.

Used the mixture I found on this forum of water, bleach, and dish soap.

Seems to work ok but could use a brush to get all the dirt off.

It is a fiberglass roof and a lot of small grey particles washed off into the drive. Is this part of a sealant that was on the roof or is it part of the roof?

Had to wash the entire coach when finished with the roof as it had many black streaks on it.

What a job but it is done and it looks much better.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #2

I don't think that I would use the bleach on a fiberglass roof as that is more commonly for rubber. As to the particles, does the roof still have a good coating of clear coat on it and shine? If it does, I really don't see how it could have come from the fiberglass. It might have come from any sealant used along the edges of the material and around the roof penetrations but my suspicion is that it was some residue of what had collected on your roof and nothing to be concerned about.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have been washing the fiberglass roof on my Dolphin twice a year for almost 10 years using a 5 gallon bucket with hot water, with 1 cup bleach, a squirt of the original blue Dawn Dish soap, and if needed a sprinkle of Bar Keeper's Friend. I use a telescoping scrub brush, and use extreme caution because it gets SLIPPERY! I noticed some crap on the sides and ground once, and determined it was the small original solar battery charger falling apart after 9 years.

Once the roof has dried, I then apply 2 coats of Mop and Glow with a sponge mop. This wax has never yellowed or flaked to date. No more black streaks, and it increases my fuel economy by about 20 MPG! Of course, your MPG may vary. . .

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the input. I need to use a soft brush cuz it still has some black dingy spots on it.

Not sure when the last time it was washed. It sat in the Arizona desert for a few years before we purchased it in June.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I used a combination of Awesome, Tide, and a spray that had bleach in it. I also used a small pressure washer to get off most of the mold and mildew, which may be what you are seeing in your driveway. I then used my cleaning mix and a heavy bristle brush to get the roof White (as close to new as possible). I then applied a couple coats of Zep High Traffic Floor Wax. I did this about 4 months ago and it held up well.

I rewashed, which as very easy, and applied another coat of Zep. Roof looks great.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Once the roof has dried, I then apply 2 coats of Mop and Glow with a sponge mop. This wax has never yellowed or flaked to date. No more black streaks, and it increases my fuel economy by about 20 MPG! Of course, your MPG may vary. . .

Bruce
If you had used that ZEP High Traffic floor polish you would have to stop and drain the extra fuel every once in a while,-- just to keep the tank from overflowing...

jacwjames: Not picking on your ZEP post, we overlapped...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE] If you had used that ZEP High Traffic floor polish you would have to stop and drain the extra fuel every once in a while,-- just to keep the tank from overflowing...

Old 10-24-2014, 04:08 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do my rubber roof with Spic & Span and water. Exactly as I do kitchen floors save that in the kitchen I mop again with just water and on the roof, that's what the garden hose is for . No bleach.

I use a "Van Wash" brush (Telescoping car wash brush) instead of a mop, seems to do a better job.

OF course the last time was just a touch up (I was really up there for other work, I have a "China Bomb" Air Conditioenr, the condenser fan blew up (Flew apart) and I was replacing it) Noticed some mold so I used the Swifter on that, it does contain a bleach. No Green No More.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:00 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What would a guy use that has a metal roof there is fiberglass around the edges and a sealant/tape that connects the fiberglass to the aluminum. Its a 1982 PA We have always just used Dawn/
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:44 AM   #10

I washed my roof a few months ago and now I get this white residue running off the sides. It leaves white streaks on the top edge after it rains. I wished I never washed it.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:19 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I washed my roof a few months ago and now I get this white residue running off the sides. It leaves white streaks on the top edge after it rains. I wished I never washed it.
What did you use? Maybe you need to wax it or put down a coat of sealer. It probably is the gel coat oxidizing and it needs to be protected. I've cleaned and waxed mine with no streaks or residue at all.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:55 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
What would a guy use that has a metal roof there is fiberglass around the edges and a sealant/tape that connects the fiberglass to the aluminum. Its a 1982 PA We have always just used Dawn/
Tim
I have a friend that owns an Airstream TT, he used to use Aluminex clean and shine, then an aircraft wax called Nuvine. Lots of work.

He recommended this site for a variety of products for metal roofs:

Products List and Description

Travel safe!

Bruce
Old 10-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Washed the roof

I purchased a brush for my mop handle and cleaned the roof again today.

I found out it is not fiberglass but more of a membrane stretched over the top.

Not sure what type of material. I think I will call Fleetwood on Monday and see if they can tell me.

I hope the bleach and soap did not damage the material.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpgb View Post
I purchased a brush for my mop handle and cleaned the roof again today.

I found out it is not fiberglass but more of a membrane stretched over the top.

Not sure what type of material. I think I will call Fleetwood on Monday and see if they can tell me.

I hope the bleach and soap did not damage the material.
I did the same thing when we owned a Fleetwood Tioga in the late 80's, never had a problem. I only add a cup of bleach to 5 gallons of hot water, then a squirt of the original blue dawn dish soap. The bleach kills any mold, and whitens the membrane. That must be some tight membrane on your roof to make you think it was fiberglass! The membrane on our old Tioga was slightly bunched up in places, giving the mold a good place to grow.

Bruce

Tags
roof