Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #1

Washer/Dryer and tankless water heaters

We have found a couple of MHs that we like have a washer and dryer. I'm wondering how well they work and if you use it much. We will be full timing in a couple of years and I'm debating whether this is something I would want or not. Also, we looked at a Legacy 340 by Forest River this weekend and it has a tankless water heater. Does anyone have any input on how well these work.

cloverpatch
2001 Fleetwood Flair
Logansport IN
cloverpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #2

We have a stackable washer/dryer and they work very, very well. Use them all the time while we are on the road. I have heard that you should steer clear of the "combo" units and go for the stackable/separate units.

Can't help you on the tankless heater - ours is the standard 10gal model.
rgwilliams69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #3

We would not want to be without our stackable units, and did not want any kind of water heater, as we prefer Aqua Hot system.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #4

We have the stackable ones and DW loves them. No more waiting in laundromats. Tiffin had a fair amount of trouble with the tankless when they first started using them. I don't know how they're doing now.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #5

We have a combo in ours (vented style) 13 years old love it and no problems with it. Yes they do small loads but that no biggy, one load every other day or so is all we ever have to do. Marty
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:24 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have the Splendide combo unit in our present rig, have never used it, just haven't be able to get away for that long that we ran out of clothes.
The Magna has stacked units and the dryer is a 240 volt just like home so I expect we'll get some use out of it. If we ever get to go full time that is.
Wife really doesn't think we'll use it much and the dealer says they take more out than they install.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:56 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We only got our rig 3 weeks ago and took a week trip and packed less clothes because we could wash and dry while away. Our stackable worked great. We never thought of having a WD until we started researching a new RV and most said they did not want to spend their time waiting in a laundermat so absolutely get one especially if you are FTing. We aren't FTers but plan on longer trips and look forward to the convenience!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:22 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to vandog
The stackable w/d works really well, uses less detergent and less water. Personally I Don't like the idea of washing clothes in an RV laundromat! If you are a full timer or even an almost full timer you will thrilled to have it! My other half tells everyone it's my favorite item in our RV.
vandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #9

Tankless

We have a tankless system & it took a wee bit to get used to. You adjust the temp by using less pressure not turning the tap one way or the other.

Down side so far is that the unit kicks in immediately. So if you are just washing your hands or rinsing out a dish cloth you use the cold only so the unit won't kick in.

Not real noisy inside or outside & you never run out of hot water which is nice.
BC Boomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:58 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If the heater is a Girard, I would pass and choose a tank style water heater.

I had the older style of tankless (Girard) where you needed to partially shut off the hot water to increase the temperature. It never did work well. Only a few months in the year did it ever get the right temps. The rest of the year it was either too hot or too cold.

The newer Atwood tankless heaters are much better. They operate just as the house does, turn on the hot and add cold to bring the temp back down. The Atwood's have temperature regulation via an adjustable gas valve. The Girards didnt have any regulation (still dont?), and thats their weakness.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We are getting ready for a year of fulltiming and would not want to do it without the W/D! It's slow, but sure beats the laundrymats!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We have the Splendide W/D combo unit.
We also have an Aquahot system. Some people refer to
Aquahot and Hydrohot as "tankless".
The DW washes just about everyday. We have no
worry about doing wash and having enough hot water
for both showers.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #13

I have a Girard tankless heater, and for the most part I've been happy with it. On our first trip out with it, however, it did stop making any hot water at all. The DW took a cold shower, which you can imagine did not go over well. After a couple phone calls I realized there is a small white "reset" button on the unit that needed to be pushed in. Once I did that, it kicked on right away. What I can't figure out is why this reset button was not mentioned anywhere in the owner manual and it is not marked on the unit. I've had to do the reset a handful of times since then, but it always works fine after that. I just could have saved some heartache and stress if they had explained it in the manual.

The only other time I had any problem was one day when the outside temp was in the 20's. The unit couldn't quite keep up in those temps, and I ended up taking a less than lukewarm shower that day.
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Stacked W/D...

Tankless WH...Mixed reactions.

Tankless systems for S&B can be a great way to be eco & budget friendly provided you can recoup the costs when used as a retrofit. Much less expensive in a new build. There are units for S&Bs that are very sophisticated and can provide a very stable water temp output.

That being said I'm a tad concerned about how they will work consistently well in RV applications.

Perhaps the most annoying thing is called SLUGGING. That is caused when the water flow rate of the is reduced below the point that it deactivates the WH and you get slugged with COLD water.

So, as an example, if you are using a low flow shower head. After a bit you think the water is too hot and you turn the handle to the cold side. This could reduce the hot water flow rate just enough to cause it to shut off and you now get slugged because of either a flow rate cut off or high temp cut off.

Keep in mind that most simple tankless heaters raise inlet water temps X degrees. X maybe be a single value for simple units used under a vanity or a variable value if there are adjustments available to the user. As a safety the unit should have a max temp limit but that can be tricky if it is simply and ON/OFF limit.

Looking at the Girard User's Manual, bottom of page 12, item 6 & NOTE you get some valuable information.

1. User needs a minimum of 1 GPM to activate the unit. Below that, you get "limited" AKA slugged.
2. Adding cold water (but not too much) could keep the water flow near 1 GPM but, reading between the lines, the slow rate could raise water temp to the cut off of 131*. If that happens, you get slugged until the water get to 110* and then gets heated again...repeat and rinse.
3. The user had a Gas Modulator Control (GMC) and if not properly adjusted you could get slugged. See bottom of page 11.

For all practical purposes this unit is kinda "dumb". Its proper operation depends on the user fully understanding how it works and how to use the GMC. Smart units will actually measure inlet water temps, water flow rate and outlet water temps and adjust automatically to keep the water temps consistent.

The trick is to have a good feel for the actual temperature of the water entering the WH. That can be wildly variable from between the temp of water in the ground pipes to the water in the hose/filters/water softener and what ever before it gets to the WH. This can also change when you move from one CG to the next depending on outside and soil temps and thus finding the proper GMC setting again.

For those reasons I would suggest you enough water before getting in the shower. The idea is to get water from a stable temp source to your shower head. It could take a lot of water when using CG water with long water hoses, filters and softeners exposed to outside temps or not too much if using onboard water tanks.

BTW...be careful when taking a shower while running things such as a dish washer or washing machine. When they start cycling use of water off and on...your shower could get very interesting. LOL

I'm just responding from my previous experiences with tankless systems and reading the literature for one particular RV brand and model. Researching all available units might you find a better/smarter unit. However, low flow rates seem to bedevil many good units so look closely for low minimum flow rates to be one of the most important things to start with. Again, this is very important with RVers using low flow rate shower heads and/or using low flow rates simply to preserve internal water tank levels during dry camping situation.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, tank, water, water heater