Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #1

Washer/Dryer Combination Recommendations

I just purchased a 09 Thor Magellan with the option for a washer dryer. What would be a decent unit to install. And does the dryer part actually dry the clothes?
2009 37ft Four Winds Magellan Ford V10:2011 Honda CRV Toad/2008 Keystone Sprinter
ewg1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #2

It seems that more people are more consistently satisfied with the stacked Maytag or Whirlpool washer and dryers than the all-in-one units. We like Whirlpool units. In a previous rv we had a satisfactory stacked Kenmore which was all one unit but with a separate washer tub and dryer.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have the Splendide and it works well .Our use is not heavy. It came with the coach That having been said , the next coach will have a stacked washer/dryer . Mostly what you can install will depend on price and space for installation
Old 09-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #4

If you get the Splendide combo be sure you get the vented version. We are fulltimers with the Splendide combo and it does quite well. It does take longer on the combo because both operations have to be done in one machine. If the DW would give up storage she would be happier with a stackable.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:50 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We also have a Splendide, does fine but drying is quite slow and load size quite small. We would have preferred a stackable but no space for it!
Old 09-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #6

I agree with waroland. I believe your 2009 Magellan is plumbed for a combo unit only so unless you're willing to do extensive modifications and give up either counter or storage/cabinet space, you're probably going to be limited to a combo unit. The most used combo for RV applications is the Splendide.

Since I believe that both 37' Magellans have floor plans which put the washer/dryer combo against an outside wall, you'll be able to easily use a vented model. A vented model will be much more efficient and will actually allow you to dry clothes where a non-vented (or ventless) model will take literally hours to dry anything. A vented unit will require you to cut a hole to the outside, however.

We've used a vented model in several RVs and are satisfied with the drying capabilities ...it's not like having a home dryer, though. However, as mentioned, a ventless model will take "forever" to dry things.

If you are buying a new one, the vented model will be the 2100XC. It can be seen here on the Splendide website CLICK.

Here it is to purchase at RVUpgrades (an iRV2 sponsor and forum founder): CLICK ...or at Camping World, CLICK ...or shop around for the best price.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We also have the Splendide combo. It does take a long time to do a load & the dry setting seems to be just 1: HOT! And I mean hot enough towels almost burn me if I let them go the full dry cycle & open the door as soon as it released. I'm careful to get stuff out before completely dry. If I had the space for a separate/stackable units I'd have those instead.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:29 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Splendide. We've had two combo units and now have a stackable...all worked fine. The stackable is faster, but otherwise they worked the same. Agree vented is better.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Splendide, and it's better than a stream and rock to wash, and twig to dry on. It was in the coach when we bought it, buy a stack unit the Splendide takes forever to dry.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:00 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Our Splendide works great. I really don't care how long it takes to dry. We're usually hooked up to free electric, just turn it on, close the cabinet, and take the clothes out when they're dry!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:34 PM   #11

I just purchased a 2012 Thor Challenger 36FD, today (9/25/15) is 1 week to the day I brought it home. Love it. It came with a Splendide washer/dryer and it work well. Enjoy
lwalker209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Just got back from a four day trip with four teenagers in the Smokey Mountains. I was surprised how quickly the Splendide all in one dried towels and clothes after tubing pretty quickly, as long as you don't over load it. It does dry on a very hot setting.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

If it's to be a combo, get the Splendide, the vented model. Do not even consider the unvented one - it needs a lot of water and a sewer line to use at all.

The dryer is 120v, so it takes much longer than a home 220v or gas dryer. Think 2x. And being a combo, you can't dry until the washer is done. Think in terms of doing frequent small loads, and doing something else while the wash is running. Shopping, a hike, or whatever. You will get frustrated if you think you have to sit there and wait for the washer to do its thing.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:46 AM   #14

i just took a our very lightly used Splendide 2100 out of our Monaco Dynasty almost all of our trips are one day or two days so better half wants more storage space for - you guessed it, her clothes and shoes. Because we almost never used it, i pulled it out and replaced it with shelving. What little we did use it, it worked just fine! Waroland is right on, you want a vented version and this is a vented version, which dries significantly better than the newer non vented (condensing) units. Make me an offer! i'll even put it on a pallet and secure the drum for shipping ...
markchioda is offline   Reply With Quote