Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2010, 05:54 AM   #29
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn-Tx View Post
Wow…this post is almost as controversial as asking which oil is best!
How true!

Onboard washers and dryers are pretty controversial. Many people say they would rather have the storage space in their RV and they would rather go to a laundromat and get the wash done all in one shot. And RV washers and dryers, especially the combo units, do have their limitations.

We're in the other camp that loves the convenience of being able to do laundry any time we want. We've even done it with no hookups, but you need to be very careful you don't overflow the gray tank. We also like the fact we know no one has washed dog beds or dirty diapers in our washer.

The stackable units are more efficient, but they obviously take more space. Many RVs just don't have room for stackables. Once you learn how to use the combo unit (don't overload them, take clothes out as soon as possible after the dry cycle ends to avoid wrinkles, etc.), the combos are quite workable. For one thing, you can do a complete load without having to move the clothes from the washer to the dryer.

If you decide to install a washer/dryer, get a vented model if at all possible. The ventless models use more water (the extra water is used to cool the air to condense out the moisture removed from the clothes), and they are much slower to dry.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2010, 07:03 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've got a never used vented model sitting in the garage from my '07 Winnie. Would rather have the extra storage space and 180# less dead weight. If anyone needs a replacement or parts...

jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrobinryan View Post
I've got a never used vented model sitting in the garage from my '07 Winnie. Would rather have the extra storage space and 180# less dead weight. If anyone needs a replacement or parts...
I'd put this in the classifieds section. You should be able to get at least $500 for it.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #32

We have a Splendide and it decided to fill with water, wash and stop at that point. No spin! Had to scoop out water. Any ideas? Would it be something that Camping World or other rv dealer/repair would work on? If so, may be cheaper to buy a new one. Ours is 10 yrs old.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #33
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTutHut View Post
We have a Splendide and it decided to fill with water, wash and stop at that point. No spin! Had to scoop out water. Any ideas? Would it be something that Camping World or other rv dealer/repair would work on? If so, may be cheaper to buy a new one. Ours is 10 yrs old.
Since it's 10 years old, it might be time to replace it, especially if you use it a lot. There is a newer model with increased capacity (2100XC) that Camping World sells for a little over $1000. Installation would be extra; but since you already have the piping, that wouldn't be that expensive.

We recently had to replace the circuit board AND the heater. The cost for parts was over $500 by the time we added in overnight shipping. I did the work myself, so the $500 didn't include any labor.

Westland Sales is the U. S. distributor for Splendide. It was a little hard to get through to them on the phone; but once you get hold of a tech, they are very helpful at walking you through troubleshooting if you're inclined to try to fix the washer yourself.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:36 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

The only problem I have had with my Splendide installation is that if the MH is in storage for some time or I am traveling and don't use it then the drain trap dries out and you get gray tank stink in the MH. Took me a while to figure out where the smell was coming from. The other big thing is if you are storing the MH in the winter time then read the instructions on how to get RV antifreeze into the machine's pump so it does not freeze. I first blow my water lines out with air and I then turn the machine on using warm water selection so it use both the hot and cold valve. After no more water comes out of the lines I then add RV anti-freeze to inside the machine and follow their directions to get it into the pump.

The only thing that has ever gone wrong with mine was that a mud dauber built a nest in the vent so it stopped the flap from opening all the way. When this happened it overheated in the dry cycle and the safety overtemp sensor popped and I lost the dry cycle. Called them up and they told me to pop the top off the machine and then told be how to reset the sensor vice having to replace it.

A question for all current Splendide owners....do you have to always use the RESET function on the selection dial before you select anything or any mode? If I don't and I start the machine the know on the selector starts moving around at a high rate. Do I have a problem?

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote