Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #15

Official iRV2 Sponsor

This is one of those endless debates that won't ever reach consensus. There are two groups of people--those who wouldn't be without their washer/dryers and those who don't want them even if they were free.

We are in the first group. We don't care how long it takes to wash and dry a load; why should we? We put it in when we leave in the morning and it's all clean and dry when we return later. That's a key advantage of a combo. Do the loads have to be rather small? Sure, but again, who really cares? It only takes a few moments to toss one in. We even have an unvented combo and love it despite the fact that many people who don't own one seem to think they are horrible.

As for doing the wash in laundromats not being inconvenient, what we find most inconvenient is having to accumulate a pile of dirty clothes to take there. We never have more than one washer-load of dirty clothes around at any time.

Whatever you decide will be right for you. There is no right or wrong answer.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #16

have it or not is no right or wrong. those doing a lot of snow birding, hookup and stay, will need w/d more than those traveling a lot. i belong to the traveling group. on the road, i don't want to use w/d because, not only i don't use it often, but also it will use A LOT of water for laundry. the grey tank will be full in short time. i have a set of w/d. when i bought the coach, the seller told me they were not connected. now i just don't bother to connect them as i don't use them and no need for them. in any truck stop, i can wash clothes for $.75 and drying for $1. why bother?

Old 10-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #17

We are on our 2nd vented combo. The first one gave out after several years. It would shake the whole MH when spinning. The new one is much better. Can't hardly feel it running. Wife would not be without one. Yes it is not as powerful as a large home unit. Yes the clothes will wrinkle unless you pull them out mid dry cycle and give them a shake. But IMO it beats carrying things to the laundry. You can reasonably wash and dry 2 loads a day and still have hot water for evening showers.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #18

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
have it or not is no right or wrong. those doing a lot of snow birding, hookup and stay, will need w/d more than those traveling a lot. i belong to the traveling group. on the road, i don't want to use w/d because, not only i don't use it often, but also it will use A LOT of water for laundry. the grey tank will be full in short time. i have a set of w/d. when i bought the coach, the seller told me they were not connected. now i just don't bother to connect them as i don't use them and no need for them. in any truck stop, i can wash clothes for $.75 and drying for $1. why bother?
Don't equate being on the road with not being able to use a washer/dryer effectively. You obviously don't stay at sites with full-hookups so your comments about tank capacity are relevant. We stay at FHU sites >90% of the time so we can use our W/D any day we wish. The issue of traveling vs snowbirding and sitting in one place is totally specious.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
We will definitely want a washer/dryer setup if possible in our next rig. We estimate that we was spending about $50 a month doing our wash on our trips. Then add to it the going back and forth to the facilities to get them done.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL2 View Post
We are doing much research and deliberation in preparation for future purchase of Class A Coach. Wife is very interested in stacked washer and dryer. Seems that this will necessitate moving from 32/33 ft length DP category to 35 +.

Interested in opinions from those owners that have this feature as to how valuable they think it is.

Thanks

We love our washer and dryer . Wouldn't go without it ever again. People are correct when they say they take longer to dry. If you don't mind what people before you are washing or just drying than maybe the 3 foot by 3 foot space the washer and dryer take up you can use to store stuff. It's not the same space as your laundry room at home. It's a small cabinet just inches bigger than the washer and dryer. But if it's raining and you have to travel back and forth to move clothes from washer to dryer how fun is that. Recently we stayed at a KOA camp ground that had tent camping also, there must of been a Boy Scout outing. When they got ready to leave all the kids (30+) put their wet towels and wet tennis shoes into the dryer only as we where right in front of the laundry room . I've seen people just drying their dog beds when it rained throughout the night as we walk a lot in the camp grounds. Good luck with your choice.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #21

We opted for the space and have had no problems with going to laundromats or using the facilities at RV parks. I was told by a friend that had one that the clothes come out too wrinkled from the dryer.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
How much do you like park laundry facilities? Oil field worker just washed his work clothes and you are going to do your sheets.:bang head:

Combo units don't work. You won't regret a stacked w/d in your coach IMHO.

We also agree with you!
Old 10-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
My wife finally learned the secret to using ours and the cloths come out with minimal wrinkles. When we have full hookups we do several loads a day to keep up. Don't know how we'd survive without it. We still have to go to the laundry mat every once in a while but without the washer dryer combo we'd be lost.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #24

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblackwell View Post
I was told by a friend that had one that the clothes come out too wrinkled from the dryer.
A lot of people don't bother to read user guides. The guide for the Splendide makes it very clear that the unit can wash ~15 lbs of clothes but can only dry ~11 lbs effectively. If you exceed the dryer's limits it will take a very, very long time to dry and the clothes will be wrinkled.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #25

I asked the same question several weeks ago and go pretty much the same answers you have gotten in this thread! The coach we were looking at had the stacked units and I just couldn't see where they'd be very efficient...besides they are SMALL! But then so are those midget sized washers & dryers that many RV parks have.

We wound up buying the coach with the stacked units and I used them for the first time a couple of weeks ago and LOVED them! No more waiting for a washer to open up and then wait for the dryer and wonder what had been in them before our stuff was. No more having to make sure we have plenty of change and spending 3X the amount to get clothes dry. They make great dirty clothes hampers too!

I doubt that we would have ordered a coach with them but boy am I really really glad this one has them.

AND...our Ventana is under 35'.
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We had a 2005 Diplomat that only had space for a combo unit. I'm not a fan of combo units, so we never bought one. We were still working and most trips were a week or under. We did take some longer trips before retiring and I hated doing laundry.

Last year we stopped in a very nice RV park in North Carolina. We were 10 days into a 6 week trip with the Diplomat and needed to do wash. We grabbed our clothes, went to the campground laundry and found every machine full with two more people in line. We were looking at hours of running back in forth. We had to drive into town to do laundry.

Never again....our new coach came with a stackable unit. They're fantastic. Wash when we want and know that the unit is clean. We now wash the night before we leave for home so the laundry is done when we get home.

"docj" gave the best response.....a washer and dryer is something you need to decide upon, depending on how you travel. If you're still working and taking short trips, probably not a necessity. For those that full time, I 'm guessing that many are staying in one place for a period of time and develop a routine with a particular laundry facility. That's fine, but if you move around a lot, it makes it more of a chore.

Side Note:.....We bought our new coach off the lot. It came with options already in place. One of those was a dishwasher. You think a washer and dryer is nice, you'll really like the dishwasher. Let the dishes collect for three days and then just turn it on and everything is clean in the morning.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:44 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
YEP...we would hate to be without our stacked units. We could do "OK" without them but we use them about every day. Costs way less than a Laundromat. We still use the laundromat for heavy stuff like blankets and sometimes when we want to get the bedding done quickly. Still, for the vast majority of our needs they are great.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
We will definitely want a washer/dryer setup if possible in our next rig. We estimate that we was spending about $50 a month doing our wash on our trips. Then add to it the going back and forth to the facilities to get them done.
That $50 is a very good estimate. That is what we were paying. In addition to spending approx 4 hours each week depending on how crowded the laundromat machines were. Plus hauling things back and forth. We like our W/D.