Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
That $50 is a very good estimate. That is what we were paying. In addition to spending approx 4 hours each week depending on how crowded the laundromat machines were. Plus hauling things back and forth. We like our W/D.
Sandee is pretty "picky" about how much she puts in a load and what colors go with what. From what I have seen on our sporadic use of a laundromat I would suspect we would be pushing $75 or more a month.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
The amount of time we've spent in the laundromats uncomfortable chairs, plus all the quarters, plus the unknown factor of the quality of the laundromat make me look forward to having a w/d in our mh. We have dedicated cabinets and hook-ups are there, so we are ready.
Interesting discussion on stackables vs combo.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #31

We have stackers. OK, here is the bad part in our MH. W/D instructions say turn off water after washing. Our power and valves were behind a drawer. Almost impossible. I removed the drawer, took off the drawer front face and re-mounted it so access was easy. Next had to move electric to the front and re-plumb water valves to front of access compartment. Just make sure you have access to those things.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Washer/ Dryer Thread

Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to respond. I LOVE this website because of the fantastic level of help available to the novices like us. All of this born of the collective love of RVing. I am so grateful .
JPL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:05 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Some rigs are now coming with 240 volt dryers, in fact even some older higher end units have them.
Interesting. Do you know where they are getting the power? Do they have to run the generator?

My knowledge of electricity stops at the switch. My understanding is that 50 amp is only 2 legs of 120 power.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Our only downside was a remark made by the DW. She misses the chat that goes on in the laundry while everyone is waiting for their turn.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
As we are full timing the washer and dryer is a must for us. It is a stacked unit (Whirlpool) and actually works very well. DW loves it.
ravens2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
We are of the must have list. Can't stand spending the day in a laundry mat and the DW refuses to put her clothes in a washer or dryer that she doesn't know what's been in there before.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wife and I thought hard on this too.. Today the cost of a load of laundry (or a dryer load) runs from about a buck to as much as 3.50 depending on if its the park laundry or a public facility and teh size of the machine, I have seen some that are 4.50 or more but those are BIG machines.

We calculated how many loads of laundry we would likely do over 10 years (Roughly the life of a washer/dryer) and figuring the average it looked to be about a break even deal.. We opted for the added storage space (our rig is 38 feet). I will admit, some days, when I'm out of ... something.. and it is pouring down rain... I think a small washer in the RV might not be a bad idea.. but still... I think we made the right choice.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
DW didn't care and thought they were unneeded until we had one already in our current rig now she won't be without it ! It's a combo unit and does require some changes and learning how and what to load so it doesn't wrinkle things but it does the job and generally we run a load ea day. It washes and drys on its own so once started we don't pay it much attention. Takes longer but who cares? I'm not waiting for it.
You'll never convince those that use it to be without or those that haven't to see its value .. Just one of those ford Chevy things!
Old 10-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #39

We never intended to have one but there was a combo unit in the coach we bought. After 2 years it stopped working ( it was 15 years old) and getting a new one was automatic. She loves the damned thing.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #40

220 for a dryer is just 110 x 2.....one for the motor and one for the heating element, so since 50 amp is 110 x 2 anyway, I could see it work....30 amp would be a no go, though....

We have a stackable set up. With the HE washers now, they work great, clean good, and spin the clothes pretty dry. Dryer sucks, but it is just a 110 dryer.. seems to get hot enough but air flow is poor so things like jeans take a cycle and a half....even towels dry better than jeans....regular stuff dries great!

We are always on the go in the MH. We use it Mar - Nov.....long and short trips alike. The things I like about the MH is that we have everything, to include our own bed, W/D, and the kids get to watch TV as we motor down the road. For us, convenience outweighs storage. With the kids school schedule, we travel late into the night, get to sleep in our own bed and the W/D are running when we are out having fun.....

If I were FT retired and able to sit around the laund-ro-mat....it would not matter as much. But if time is not on your side, then having them seems like a no brainer....

WW
Old 10-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Nicest laundry room around

When I show people our coach and get back to the bedroom. I tell them it also serves as my laundry room. It has a Multi-media system, it has a table to fold clothes on (a.k.a.the bed), a private bathroom, and easy access to food and drink! I love my Whirlpool washer and dryer. But as dojc noted, there is no right or wrong opinion for the question. It all depends on your personal preferences.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Interesting. Do you know where they are getting the power? Do they have to run the generator?

My knowledge of electricity stops at the switch. My understanding is that 50 amp is only 2 legs of 120 power.

You are correct but 240 vac power is available when the 2 legs are 180 degrees out of phase. This is standard 240 power and it is available in a 50 amp RV pedestal.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote