Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL2 View Post
We are doing much research and deliberation in preparation for future purchase of Class A Coach. Wife is very interested in stacked washer and dryer. Seems that this will necessitate moving from 32/33 ft length DP category to 35 +.
Interested in opinions from those owners that have this feature as to how valuable they think it is.

Thanks
How important? Hmmm...... Let's see. You are "doing much research and deliberation in preparation for future purchase of Class A Coach." AND "Wife is very interested in stacked washer and dryer." Appears that she has nixed the concept of a tent quite possibly due to comfort reasons, therefore is looking to have indoor plumbing as a comfort item. Washer/Dryer are only more comfort items, but I will remind you of a statement in your original post "Wife is very interested in stacked washer and dryer." That statement is all you need to think on because the old saying is so true..... "If Momma ain't Happy, Nobody's Happy." You can't watch the game on that new big flat screen from inside the laundromat. Good luck in your search and research.

chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #58
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL2 View Post
We are doing much research and deliberation in preparation for future purchase of Class A Coach. Wife is very interested in stacked washer and dryer. Seems that this will necessitate moving from 32/33 ft length DP category to 35 +.
Interested in opinions from those owners that have this feature as to how valuable they think it is.

Thanks

Our coach had the Splendide 2000 combo vented W/D when we bought it. After getting a drying problem fixed we love it! I definitely would never have a coach without one!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #59

"She misses the chat that goes on in the laundry while everyone is waiting for their turn. "

No problem, just start a load and walk down to the laundry room and sit with your friends.........................

OK, back to the topic, our 2005 coach had the combo unit installed. We both love it. I had suggested that I could add a unit to our '94 (34 ft.) but she didn't want to give up the space. Now I think she'd give up MY space to have it.

As for the drying/wrinkle problem, Jan makes sure she knows when to remove the clothes and do whatever magic she needs to get it right. I had insisted we needed the unit, but have never used it. I'd get it all wrong, so there is no point in starting.

Anyway, as others have said, the polarization on such a simple subject is astonishing. We really like ours............

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #60

Are there concerns about them filling the gray water? Or do you leave your gray water line open when running the laundry? Also, how much water does it use? Would you use them while boondocking?
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
Are there concerns about them filling the gray water? Or do you leave your gray water line open when running the laundry? Also, how much water does it use? Would you use them while boondocking?
Gray valve SHOULD be open. On occasion we have run the washer with it closed for a load, maybe two but you will fill up the gray tank quickly. Also if you do attempt to use them with the gray closed that you use the shortest cycle possible to reduce water use. Keep a close eye on your tank levels.

I have heard/read in some rare cases that people have reported running the washer with the gray valve closed caused some water to not fully go down the drain. I suspect that means the gray tank vent was blocked and air pressure build up during the time the washer was dumping the water out put of a fair amount of resistance. That is my best guess anyway.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #62

It depends on what kind of RVing you do. We stay in public parks as our first choice - national parks, national forests, state parks, city and county parks. We also boondock a lot which we're doing right now for 12 nights at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta.

When you don't have unlimited power, water and dumping facilities, a washer/dryer are a no-go.

We do two weeks of laundry in two hours and we're finished. I wouldn't have it another way.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #63

A washer and dryer is like an ice maker - it's NOT an option, it's a necessity. That is unless you like hanging out at Laundromats and using machines that have had 10,000+ loads of Laundromat-users stuff in them. No thank you, I'll use my clean machine and do it at my leisure.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
A washer and dryer is like an ice maker - it's NOT an option, it's a necessity. That is unless you like hanging out at Laundromats and using machines that have had 10,000+ loads of Laundromat-users stuff in them. No thank you, I'll use my clean machine and do it at my leisure.
I've never used my washer or ice maker. You're worried about what's been in the public laundry but have no concerns as to the water quality going in your ice maker. That's funny.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
I've never used my washer or ice maker. You're worried about what's been in the public laundry but have no concerns as to the water quality going in your ice maker. That's funny.

There is not much funny about a snarky post. What is the point you are making?

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #66
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Better yet, I have to wonder about someone who doesn't use their washing machine or ice maker for fear of the water. Do you flush with bottled water for fear of a splash back!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #67

Going on our fourth year FULLTIMING. No W/D. Need the space.
Never had a issue with a park laundry.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Better yet, I have to wonder about someone who doesn't use their washing machine or ice maker for fear of the water. Do you flush with bottled water for fear of a splash back!
I suppose if I spent a lot of time in campgrounds I would use a washer. I have a MH to travel, see and do things that can't be found in a campground. We take several short trips, usually only a few days. We have plenty of room for clothes for the two of us. We're on vacation and don't want to waste it in a campground doing laundry. We use plenty of water for everything but drinking. I don't know what's in the water when we fill from a well of unknown condition. So, we carry water for drinking. If you aren't concerned, then drink up.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
..Don't leave home without them...
Russell
Same here. We have the single Splendide, washes then dries. Takes longer but gives us lots more space.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This has thread really turned into a belly bumping contest.

Dear OP...

There are pros and cons to having an onboard W/D (stacked or combo) for your use. As a part timer we had one and never used it. The storage area it took up could easily be a nice storage space for our dirty clothes. LOL As a full timer we have a stacked unit and use it a lot. We still occasionally go to laundromats for loads of bulky stuff like our bed blankets and such.

PROs:

Convenient.
Probably economical based on use.
Always available on your schedule.

CONS:
Takes up space.
Not as fast doing large and/or multiple loads.
Something that needs to be maintained.
Washer really needs full hook ups for the most part.

We like them and wouldn't change. That's OK.
Others don't and won't change. That's OK.

My recommendation is this...Consider what you think is important and act on it. If you get them and don't like them...remove and sell. If you don't get them and get tired of the other options...go get them.

From what I have read...most folks that get them prefer them and wouldn't be without them. Those that don't have them and are happy don't think they would consider getting them.

Your Choice.