Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Washer Dryer How Important?

We are doing much research and deliberation in preparation for future purchase of Class A Coach. Wife is very interested in stacked washer and dryer. Seems that this will necessitate moving from 32/33 ft length DP category to 35 +.
Interested in opinions from those owners that have this feature as to how valuable they think it is.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #2

Don't leave home without them. We love ours. They won't do large loads and it takes the dryer a little long. But we will do a load ever other day or so & love them.

Our first two coaches didn't have them. I got dealer to throw them in on the deal on the third coach and the rest is history. Actually kept same units for the 4th coach. Dealer transferred them.

Russell

Old 10-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
How much do you like park laundry facilities? Oil field worker just washed his work clothes and you are going to do your sheets.:bang head:
Combo units don't work. You won't regret a stacked w/d in your coach IMHO.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #4

My dime (2 cents with inflation)............

I would not give up the space in our 37 footer to a W/D. Over 300 days on the road, and two of us never had Laundromat problems.

DPs are full of things that can break, and a W/D combo just adds 2 more to the list.

If we do another DP, I want to drop back to under 34 feet. Too many tight squeezes and no goes with the 37.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL2 View Post
We are doing much research and deliberation in preparation for future purchase of Class A Coach. Wife is very interested in stacked washer and dryer. Seems that this will necessitate moving from 32/33 ft length DP category to 35 +.

Interested in opinions from those owners that have this feature as to how valuable they think it is.

Thanks

If you expect these to be just like the 240 vac dryers at home you are doomed to disappointment. We have been full time for 7 years with a vented combo unit and would not trade for stacked units because we don't want to give up that much space. The combo works just fine regardless of comments to the contrary. We are enjoying this life way too much to get concerned about a washer/dryer.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #6

It depends on where you stay. Most nicer parks have pretty nice laundry facilities.

We now have a vented combo. It's okay for doing a little wash and sucks as a dryer, unless you like wrinkles.

Our last coach had a stacked washer/dryer. Much better than what we have now.

They are a convenience, but not one we couldn't live without.

This would be a great poll.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #7

I bought a Splendide combo unit with our new 5er in 2008. That sealed my fate, DW will not own another RV without a washer and dryer included. They are an excellent unit, albeit slower than separate units because it is a set and forget combo.
The cleanest and best laundry rooms are still suspect for what the previous wash cycle held, pet bedding, greasy work clothes or shop towels. I've witnessed a business vehicle stop at a laundromat, the driver jump out and wash stuff that had what looked like loose fiberglass insulation all over it. Then they dried the stuff there too.
If we can't use our onboard washer we bag dirty clothes and wait until we get either to our home or a military base CG, where the washers and dryers are much cleaner and monitored for misuse.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
For those of you that are nervous about using the laundromat at a campground or just in town, most washers have a "empty" or "quick rinse" cycle that can be used with bleach prior to doing your laundry. Most newer machines only charge a nominal fee to run this cycle. And just because you may have a washing machine in your RV, do not think for a second that it is much "cleaner" than the laundromat one! Take a look at the link below, not for the germaphobes amongst us!

Are Bacteria & Viruses Lurking in Your Washing Machine?

Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
My dime (2 cents with inflation)............

I would not give up the space in our 37 footer to a W/D. Over 300 days on the road, and two of us never had Laundromat problems.

DPs are full of things that can break, and a W/D combo just adds 2 more to the list.

If we do another DP, I want to drop back to under 34 feet. Too many tight squeezes and no goes with the 37.
X2 ... can't imagine giving up the space.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Not cost effective, too slow and takes up space.

But it is convenient. Used to have to spend time running back and forth to do the laundry. Now a load every day or two and we can do it at our liesure. Priceless
Old 10-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
If you expect these to be just like the 240 vac dryers at home you are doomed to disappointment. We have been full time for 7 years with a vented combo unit and would not trade for stacked units because we don't want to give up that much space. The combo works just fine regardless of comments to the contrary. We are enjoying this life way too much to get concerned about a washer/dryer.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Some rigs are now coming with 240 volt dryers, in fact even some older higher end units have them.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #12

I removed my Combo unit and made sliding shelves behind the vented door. Love them. The W/D combo would shake the whole coach during a wash dry cycle. I just back a few more clothes or go to the RV park washing machines and dryers.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
X2 ... can't imagine giving up the space.
X3 ........... & lots of extra weight to haul around.

We have found it quite easy to pick a spot every couple weeks to get all the laundry done at once in short order,
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been instructed the next coach will have something or I get to do laundry while on the road so I guess you could say pretty high on the must have list.