RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
You are giving up a lot of space in a 36’ with a second bath and a W/D. We have a 38’ interior/40’ exterior, and travel a little over half time. We still feel the space need some times. That said, I absolutely love my stacked washer and dryer. We dry camp about half time, but generally hit up a full service campground every 5-7 days to dump tanks and do laundry. Occasionally we are out longer and have to use a laundromat. Every time I do, I get reminded how much I love having my own W/D! As a compromise for a second bathroom, look at models with larger single baths. Ours has two sinks, lots of cabinets, and a good sized shower.

UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainmanVH View Post
Making the leap into a class A this winter. We've narrowed our search to 3 different models from 3 different manufacturers...all in the 36' range. We ended up at this length because there are a couple of features we like: bath and a half, and washer/dryer. I still like the idea of going a little smaller, but can see how these things could be useful during our .5 full-time plans. For those of you who have W/D setups --- do you use them regularly, or do you use laundromats instead? Same for 1.5 bath ..... is this a minor convenience or a necessity?

Thanks.

RJ
ABSOLUTELY!!! We are fulltime in a 41' DP and we use w/d almost daily as well as both bathrooms. We eat together so it seems only fitting we need facilities at the same time. Also, its having use of another sink and mirror that you wouldn't do in the kitchen. If you're taking care of business and dont want to have someone else in earshot or odor distance it's safe to use another restroom without waiting or getting gassed. The w/d usage pays for itself...If you use a laundromat the cost is ridiculous. Not to mention remembering everything you need, always having ENOUGH quarters (who does) and getting all your stuff back cleanly. Then there's the waiting and literally airing your dirty laundry in front of any other nosy beighbor.
Get the 1.5 bath and the washer dryer, NO REGRETS!

dannew0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:09 AM   #31

Wife loves the W/D, no way we could full time from October to May without it. I think the 1/2 bath would be nice if we were in a 42í+ coach.

IMO a 36í coach is already small enough. A 1/2 bath will take up lots of valuable living space.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:07 PM   #32
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
First......Not everyone camps the same way. Our first DP had room for a combo washer/dryer, but did not come with one. At that time, we were still working and camping on weekends and summer vacations. The washer/dryer was not a big deal. When we bought our first DP after retirement, a stacked unit was a must. We use it all the time as we take much longer trips in retirement. When we had our RZR and went off roading, it was soooo nice to come back at the ed of the day and throw all the clothes in the washer.

In regards to a half bath....the trend is for large all in one rear baths, moving away from the split bath. When you offer the rear bath people are seeking, you have to add the half bath, or you would have to crawl over the bed when on the road. For us and how we travel, we love the half bath. My wife goes to bed earlier than I do and that leaves me with a bathroom that doesn't disturb her. Oh yeah, it became my bathroom and the rear is hers!

Lastly, it's human nature to criticize or say you don't need something if you don't have it, which you can see is happening in this thread. Those that don't have a half bath can argue that I'm wrong, until you look at all the new coach offerings with half baths. Who knows what the next trend will be.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
We are at a different end of the spectrum from many of those commenting earlier - we are out for 3-7 days once a month (my wife is retired, I am not). For us, we have guests stay with us about 1/3 of the time, and having the 1/2 bath allows us and our guests to not disturb each other.

We bought the coach at a show, and the Stacked W/D were installed. We thought we would never use it, but almost immediately we found that it was essential when we had an essential need (we have dogs, and once in a while there is an "accident", or a trip gets extended, etc.). Would not buy a coach without them now.

Now if you ask about the Dishwasher...never been used, but good pot/pan storage.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Combo unit, this summer it went on the fritz.. Wow.. was I ever happy to get it back up and running... wouldn't be without it... Dont have the bath and 1/2 so can't comment BUT think I would prefer additional living space...Good luck with your aqusitio..
Old 10-10-2019, 05:46 AM   #35

We have a combo unit in our 40 footer with bath and a half. We spend most of the summer on the coach. The first year DW didn't want to use the combo unit because she heard from friends it was too small. Second year I started using it but she resisted.
This year we used it exclusively and didn't visit a laundromat. The combo units do wrinkle clothes in the dry cycle. But hey your camping not going to a wedding.

During our summer extended travels we use the half bath with a cat access door at the bottom of the half bath door to house the cat litter. Other times we don't take the cat and love my own half bath.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:05 AM   #36
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCathy View Post
We love our w/d combo. I call it the magic machine. We put our clothes in it everyday when we go to bed and they are clean and dry in the morning. No piles of dirty laundry! But make sure combo is a vented unit. Have had unvented unit and the clothes do not dry. They just steam. We half time and would not be without it. I can see where 1/2 bath would be nice.
I actually have a magic hamper. I put in dirty clothes and they end up clean, folded, and put away. I don't know how it does it.

Seriously though, we have had a coach with no washer/dryer, one with a combo unit, and now a stacked set. The combo worked fine but the stacked is definitely preferred. We're full time and don't have a desire to spend much time at a laundromat when we could be at home.

As for the bath and a half, it was on our must have list with this current coach. It doesn't take up enough space where I would want to store more stuff as opposed to having the convenience of a second bath. It's great if you have guests. But a big reason is that we had a problem with the toilet in our last coach and had to wait several days to get parts to fix it. I had a broken leg and ankle at the time and the inconvenience was enough to make sure we had a "backup" this time....just in case.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #37

A great alternative to the Splendide models ($1200) is the Magic Chef ($700) sold thru Home Depot. HD will also extend warranty to 5 yrs for a little over $100. I have an install video in the Fleetwood forum section if you want more info.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #38

We are FTers, and we have a bath and a 1/2 and love it. It has turned out to be the best feature of our MH. We each have our own bathroom. We can both shower and then have our own area to get ready afterwards. Guests can use the 1/2 bath without walking thru the bedroom.

Don't have a W/D. We use camp ground laundry facilities and that doesn't bother us. We usually do laundry twice a month or so. Start in the morning and all done by noon and usually costs about $15 or so each time. We didn't want a W/D because that cuts to much into our CCC and we like carrying other important stuff. We also like a broad variety of clothes instead of just the basics so lots of drawers and 2 large wardrobes fit us well.

If we did want a W/D though it would definitely be stacked set.

2012 Winnebago Vista 35F
Joree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #39
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We have separate W/D and use it all the time. Itís so much easier to put an occasional load in the washer, than to sit in a laundromat.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #40

Have both and use them both. 1/2 bath is really too small for me but wife uses all the time on the road and while camped. (She also uses full bath but hey women get 75% of space everyplace right?)
While we have a bit extra space I don't think we could get by with much less than about a 42ft rig for how we use our coach. Winter home and travel at other times weekend to weeks. At our ages (61 &63) comfort and convenience is what it's about if you can afford it.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavnTheWales View Post
A great alternative to the Splendide models ($1200) is the Magic Chef ($700) sold thru Home Depot. HD will also extend warranty to 5 yrs for a little over $100. I have an install video in the Fleetwood forum section if you want more info.
That is a great alternative. I love our Spendide combo unit but if/when if fails I would certainly look at this unit. I wonder if they make a vented model as well.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:07 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
That is a great alternative. I love our Spendide combo unit but if/when if fails I would certainly look at this unit. I wonder if they make a vented model as well.

Most combo units don't need to be vented. The drying method is though condensation that is sent down the drain, unlike a conventional dryer.
https://www.goedekers.com/blog/how-d...r-combos-work/

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote