Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2019, 04:25 AM   #43

I believe my Splendide combo unit is vented. The website grinestone posted above did not mention the common issue of wrinkled clothes common with the Spendide combo units after drying. I wonder if that is just common to Spendide.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #44

The ventless models take much longer to dry, and they use more fresh water, to cool and condense the water vapors that come off of the clothes. We can wash three loads in our vented Splendide for every TWO loads our neighbors can wash in their ventless Splendide. Only vented models for me, thank you.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainmanVH View Post
Making the leap into a class A this winter. We've narrowed our search to 3 different models from 3 different manufacturers...all in the 36' range. We ended up at this length because there are a couple of features we like: bath and a half, and washer/dryer. I still like the idea of going a little smaller, but can see how these things could be useful during our .5 full-time plans. For those of you who have W/D setups --- do you use them regularly, or do you use laundromats instead? Same for 1.5 bath ..... is this a minor convenience or a necessity?

Thanks.
RJ
Sorry but the DW likes her own sheets - that part of the reason for the Coach and will never use a Laundromat - so simple answer is We have had a washer dryer for the Last 20 years, sure is easier than carrying three weeks worth or clean clothes - - When we 1/2 time it we will do a load every day/night and have even gotten used to the washer rocking us to sleep - .

As for a Bath and a Half - Nice in a house, but when you only have 300 sq ft I would tend to want to have a little more open space and not a lot of part time space, Larger closet vs the 1/2 bath is just better for Us.

This will be YOUR Coach so do what makes you or the DW Happy, we are all different.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #46
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I believe my Splendide combo unit is vented.
The Splendide 2100XC is vented while the 7100XC is not. We had a quote from a dealer to add one into a coach that was provisioned for it (water and drain but no exterior vent) and they quoted just under $2,000. But they also did not specify the model number in the quote so I asked.

You guessed it, they quoted the 7100XC non-vented one. Several hundred dollars of profit on that quote had I bit on it.

They also quoted the same labor charge to install front Sumo Springs and and to install rear Sumo Springs, several hundred dollars each. On the F53 chassis the fronts are drill-less and can be installed in an hour by anyone. The rears usually require dismounting the tires (to do it right) and drilling holes. When I asked why the price was the same (actually I said I thought they made a mistake and pointed the above facts out), the service manager said they flat-rate it and would not budge. He cost their dealership a sale and I let the salesperson know why he lost his commission.

Ray
Old 10-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I like the 2100XC and have bought several takeouts (practically new) on Craigslist for $400-$450. Glad some people do not like them.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
I like the 2100XC and have bought several takeouts (practically new) on Craigslist for $400-$450. Glad some people do not like them.

Same here, bought 2 Haire 1600 combo's on CL, one for my mother's apt and one for our camper, paid $350/$400 respectively. That was 4 years ago and ours is running strong and mothers is in storage as a spare for now.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:47 PM   #49

Been following this thread because at some point I hope to be selling my C and moving to a pre-loved DP. I'd rather have on board laundry than carry more clothes and for my needs I think a combo would handle all but my heavy cottons and blankets. If I'm traveling with companions I thinking a stacked W/D would be be better. I really don't want to spend time in laundromats if I don't have to.

Same kind of consideration regarding the half bath. For myself it really doesn't matter and I'd probably use that space for a mini-office, but if I routinely have others with me I think the half bath could be a friendship saver.

Something else to think about regarding floor plan - if you have a single bath can it be easily accessed with the slides in? I'm thinking of large rear bath plans that could require crawling over the bed or having limited door opening from galley or salon slides.

It really comes down to how you see yourselves using your coach on a day to day basis - if you half time, you're still out for a week or more at time, and a weeks worth of my dirty laundry ripens by the hour. Getting home without a bunch of "catch up" chores has its attraction, too.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:21 AM   #50

We just purchased a used 2018 37’ gas MH. Original accessories included a stacked WD. We had the dealer remove the units and put in shelves and a hanging rod. We much prefer using a campground laundry.

Also have the half bath and it is a great feature.
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
We asked this same question last month, I’d link to the post but I can’t find it. As someone stated, those that had it, loved it, those that didn’t did not see the need. We decided not to go with it in the 2020 Bay Star we placed an order for just this morning. We did opt for the W/D prep option so if in the future we decide we want them, we can add them.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMichHunte View Post
We asked this same question last month, I’d link to the post but I can’t find it. As someone stated, those that had it, loved it, those that didn’t did not see the need. We decided not to go with it in the 2020 Bay Star we placed an order for just this morning. We did opt for the W/D prep option so if in the future we decide we want them, we can add them.

Are these some of the post you were looking for? You hit the nail on the head, like most things in life, you don't realize you like something until you try it. I compare it cars with power windows and automatic transmissions, they are must have's now.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/looki...ns-464099.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/washer-dryer-456865.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/wash...te-456304.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/addin...0v-444259.html
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
All our Motorhomes have had stacked separate w/d units. I would never have MH/RV without one. Something you did not mention is residential refrigerator, that is also one thing you should never leave home without, why? RV refrigerators cause 60% of all fires. On very hot days, forget about the milk, beer, or any perishables staying good. Yes, the residential units will cost more, and require more batteries, and bigger inverters, the expense will pan out while you own it, and be there for the next fellow down the road. Please keep us all safe, and take a dedicated driving class for large vehicles, trust me, this rig is going to be different from anything else you have driven unless you drove for a living. Have the wife take it with you, you never know when she needs to backstop you because of an emergency.

We went to 34'10' DP from a 40' MH. We never felt need for the half bath in either one. Looked at them, and just rather have the living space/bedroom space instead of an area we would not use as much. Additionally, the manufacturer will have to plumb, and this adds complexity to the construction process, and more points of failure with all the bouncing and jiggling. Something to consider.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:39 PM   #54

National RV Owners Club
We hardly ever use ours, as most parks have full size Laundry, nice to sit and chat,
Blazeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
This may be sweet lemons, but it works for us.

We have a combo washer/dryer. I love it, because I can do a small or urgent load in the evening. My husband doesn’t like it, because the loads are so small and take so long (he’s in charge of laundry at home). Plus it’s noisy and shakes the coach. I don’t care about either of those things.

If it were up to him (it is NOT in this case), he would take out the Splendide and put in a dishwasher. Makes no sense - it’s way too far from the kitchen sink!

The compromise (for me) is always having access to do laundry if necessary, and also saving up for a big laundry at the campground laundromat to do towels and sheets as well as jeans, etc., once every 2-3 weeks as needed. On those days, my husband takes up all the big and sturdy stuff, and all the delicates go in the Splendide combo, which I take care of in the coach. That way he doesn't have to worry about separating the delicates out before throwing in the dryer, and we get everything done in a couple of hours.

I really really wish we had two toilets. We are constantly conflicting in the AM - we’re old and each need sit-down time, multiple times. My husband doesn’t mind using the campground facilities [shudder], but if we’re not right next to the bathrooms, he might not have tim to get there. A single toilet was the compromise for buying a solid 2007 DP for a reasonable price. But if we ever buy another coach, I will NOT compromise again.

Frankly, two bathroom sinks are unnecessary for us - I wish we could replace the hall sink for another toilet.
DianaCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #56

A necessity

We have a combo W/D. Stacked units would have been nice, but the extra cabinet space is nicer. When boondocking or at public campgrounds where there's not full hook-up, we've had to go searching for a laundromat. In some areas (like Redding CA) it was hard to find and very expen$ive. (We rarely use commercial campgrounds). But more campgrounds make FHU available, so we use our W/D. Yes, it takes about 2 1/2 - 3 hours per cycle, and IF you load in too much, wrinkling can be an issue. But now we consider a W/D a necessity.
As for 1/2 bath, with just the 2 of us, we really can't imagine the need or desirability.