RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #1

Washer/Dryer or Not

Making the leap into a class A this winter. We've narrowed our search to 3 different models from 3 different manufacturers...all in the 36' range. We ended up at this length because there are a couple of features we like: bath and a half, and washer/dryer. I still like the idea of going a little smaller, but can see how these things could be useful during our .5 full-time plans. For those of you who have W/D setups --- do you use them regularly, or do you use laundromats instead? Same for 1.5 bath ..... is this a minor convenience or a necessity?

Thanks.
RJ

RainmanVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2019, 05:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Yes on a combo washer/dryer. Most will say yes on the 1.5 bath (latest fad) but even at 45’ we say NO, but 2 sinks are nice. I made the mistake of starting at 36’ for half time.

Old 10-06-2019, 05:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainmanVH View Post
Making the leap into a class A this winter. We've narrowed our search to 3 different models from 3 different manufacturers...all in the 36' range. We ended up at this length because there are a couple of features we like: bath and a half, and washer/dryer. I still like the idea of going a little smaller, but can see how these things could be useful during our .5 full-time plans. For those of you who have W/D setups --- do you use them regularly, or do you use laundromats instead? Same for 1.5 bath ..... is this a minor convenience or a necessity?

Thanks.
RJ
We have used our W/D units for years. Now, using separate W/D units has been 100% better than using a combo setup (the ability to wash and dry at the same time, can't do that with the combo units). Momma doesn't like to use campground machines. Reference the 1/2 bath question, I never have had the need for an additional stool in 28 years of using a motorhome. I would rather have the additional living / storage square footage. Just my opinion though.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:21 PM   #4

Have a stacked washer and dryer and would not be without it.
Best of luck on your search and post pics of your final choice.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:27 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We have both - bath and a half and stacked washer dryer in a 38’ gas motorhome.

We love both features and highly... very highly recommend them.

When we started looking my wife and I both said “it would be nice but not mandatory.” Now, my wife says best decision we ever made and the number one reason she wants to spend more time in the RV and take even longer trips.

She loves having her own bathroom AND she hates using laundromats. Happy wife... happy husband.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:44 PM   #6

If you can get separate units I’d do that but at the least have a single wash/dry unit. We didn’t think it was on our list of must haves, but now that we have one we’ll not be without it.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:52 PM   #7

We had an older Class A w/o a WD so, when it came with our new rig we were like ,"yeah, yeah. Big deal." Wrong! Use that puppy almost daily when out. Cut the amount of clothes packed in half.
Still miss our full tub in old RV. Only a stand up shower now.
Bookmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:23 PM   #8

Even though we have a W/D we still have to use a laundromat for bulky items like comforter or bedspread. Previous coach didn’t have one and managed to get along without it but enjoy having it now.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:33 PM   #9

Stacked W/D is a must for us. No interest in bath and a half, takes up to much space. That said, be sure to get whatever floor plan appeals to you. Good luck shopping.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

When we started looking my wife and I both said “it would be nice but not mandatory.” Now, my wife says best decision we ever made and the number one reason she wants to spend more time in the RV and take even longer trips.

She loves having her own bathroom AND she hates using laundromats. Happy wife... happy husband.
X 10 !!!!
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #11

Washer and dryer plus 1/2 bath if you're planning on staying on the road or spending significant time and an absolute for full time
Old 10-06-2019, 07:17 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a W/D in our rig and use it all the time. WE cannot imagine traveling with out them.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:28 PM   #13

We would rather have the space. Most trips for us use upper scale rv resorts at least half the time. So we use their laundry room. Possibly would change our minds if we were full timers. We just manage our trips so that after primitive camping we stay at a resort to refresh everything and go from there.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:52 PM   #14
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

I could have written this except we have a combo, not a stacked set. 38' as well. I have the 1/2 bath in the middle and I keep my junk in there and she keeps her stuff in the full rear bath.

The 1/2 bath also has a Tecma macerating toilet to pump the "stuff" to the single black tank in the rear of the coach. We exclusively use that toilet for #2 so I don't have to worry about any "poop pyramids". The rear toilet is a standard Dometic 310 RV toilet.

We use the combo Splendide 2100XC literally every day. We use it to dry bath towels and beach towels to help keep the interior humidity down and to keep towels from being hung out. We also use the Splendide as the clothes hamper. When it gets half-full we run it.

As an aside, we also upgraded the rear bathroom fan from the cheapo worthless OEM fan to a MaxxAir 7000K. It runs at half-speed on exhaust when using the shower to also help keep the interior humidity down.

HTH,

Ray