Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Is a washer/dryer useful or needed
I use my washer/dryer and recommend buying a coach with it. 119 73.46%
I do not use my washer/dryer and do not recommend buying a coach with it. 9 5.56%
I do not have a washer/dryer. 34 20.99%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #57
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Our first DP had room for the combo unit, but didn't come with one. I don't have any issues buying anything I want for my motor home, but just never got excited about the combo units. If there had been room for a stackable, I would have bought them in a heartbeat.

A stackable unit in our new coach was a must have. My wife still didn't think she would use them. Our first trip out, we put all our clothes in the last evening and when we got home, she was soooo happy the laundry was done.

We camp with our kids (they have their own RV's) and it's inevitable that one of the grandkids soils their bedding or their is some other disaster. It's nice to have the stackable units there to clean things up.

Yes, you may lose some storage space, but typical the washer/dryers are put in large coaches. And....as one person said, you no longer need a laundry hamper.

Our coach also came with a dishwasher. We didn't order it that way, it was already installed. Everyone teased us, but we loaded what few dishes we used each day into the dishwasher and when we got ready to head home we did load. It was really nice.

Many years ago people were talking around the campfire and saying they would never buy a new car with those silly power windows. Why would they want those when they can just roll them up by hand.

Lastly, anyone who thinks a washer and dryer is going to cut down their fuel economy is really kidding themselves.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2014, 12:47 AM   #58

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Lastly, anyone who thinks a washer and dryer is going to cut down their fuel economy is really kidding themselves.
Well, the facts are, the more weight you carry the worse your gas mileage will be, this is just a fact of life. The combo units weigh only about 150 lbs, the stackable types are probably a bit more. Also, if you want to do laundry on the road you will have to carry extra water as well. Will it make a huge difference to your gas mileage? Probably not, but every pound does count. My point was only that if you probably won't use it then there is no reason to pay to carry it around. I agree with the Raining Star, it all depends on how you use your RV. For some it makes perfect sense to have a washer/dryer and for others it makes no sense at all to have them.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:00 AM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
I have not read this thread, but I hate carting our dirty laundry to a laundry mat and waiting for a washer or dryer. We are not full timers, but we do go on extended trips of 1 to 3 months at a time and it is very convenient to pop the clothes in the washer/dryer combo when we stop at a campground with full hookups. Mark
Old 05-16-2014, 04:52 AM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Box1
Old 05-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #61

I don't have an RV yet, but I can say I most certainly would want a washer/dryer. I'd even want a dishwasher.

I've lived a huge chunk of my life with the convenience of these appliances, so it makes no sense for me not to have them in my mobile condo.

Yes you could stop at a laundry mat during your travels, but why waste the time? Think of it this way, do you really need a refrigerator in an RV, when an ice chest would do? Better yet, why even use an RV, when a tent works. Get my point?

This technology lets me spend more time doing the things I enjoy, and it's affordable.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #62

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
I don't have an RV yet, but I can say I most certainly would want a washer/dryer. I'd even want a dishwasher.

I've lived a huge chunk of my life with the convenience of these appliances, so it makes no sense for me not to have them in my mobile condo.

Yes you could stop at a laundry mat during your travels, but why waste the time? Think of it this way, do you really need a refrigerator in an RV, when an ice chest would do? Better yet, why even use an RV, when a tent works. Get my point?

This technology lets me spend more time doing the things I enjoy, and it's affordable.
WOW! Doesn't have an RV yet but has the best answer and reasons for why! Convenience and time to spend on other thinks!

By the way my vote is #1
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #63

On short weekend trips we probably would not use it,on week long trips definitely to keep from be overwhelmed with dirty cloths. Although they don't hold much every little bit helps.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:19 PM   #64

Forest River Owners Club
Definitely Box 1 - we love ours and would hate to be without it... Really a major time saver and we hate going to a public facility... Can chill in our own rig while clothes are washing in the back.....
Old 05-16-2014, 10:23 PM   #65

Freightliner Owners Club
Box 3
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #66

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club

Name:   image-158380319.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  61.7 KB
'Nuff said.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #67

Before we bought a washer/dryer we had to use coin laundries, until one time in Florida DW opened up a washer and a 2" diameter spider crawled out. We've had a washer/dryer ever since. Now DW does a load and dries it while we are driving. We have water and holding tank capacity to do 3 loads while driving if we want. At bedtime she puts in a load, next morning it is clean and dry, ready to put away. I often do that while she is preparing breakfast. Point is, we don't miss doing anything because laundry must be washed. Is it cost-effective? No, but neither is RVing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:17 AM   #68

As weekenders only we don't use one, if we went on week plus trips it would be nice to have. If we were full time or close to would be a must have.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:04 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
box 3.We bought a unit with one(combo) used it several times , takes to long for what you can put in it)we are full timers the extra storage and less weight of unit so out it came.We will take laundry with us on one our trips in town,so no big problem.
When i removed it that thing weight a ton i did not realize how much extra weight we were getting rid of.It is now a closet with pull out drawer.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #70

Box 1. Don't leave home without it!! Washer makes for great clothes hamper too!!