Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2016, 07:24 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Washing a Class A - Costs

I'm taking delivery of a new coach next year and started thinking about how I'm going to wash the beast. From my research, there are lots of options from foam guns to long poles with sheepskin pads and various cleaner systems like Wash Wax All and "The Solution".

For the purposes of this conversation, it's about $200 in "equipment and materials" the first year and $50 a year thereafter for supplies. Yes, you can do it for less using dish soap and a rag but that's not for me so let's just drop that one from the conversation.

There's a truck wash nearby (Blue something) that costs about $40 per wash.

I figure I'll wash the beast about 4 times a year.

Based on my numbers, the truck wash is more money but not much more. Given that it takes way less effort to drive to the truck wash I'm wondering if I'm better off skipping the washing supplies and using the truck wash.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Waywards is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #2

I use wash wax all after trying many different brands of waterless wash.

I wash the vehicle using a small pressure washer and soap maybe 4 times a year. I haven't really found any car type wash soap that works well on the coach. It only gets that dirty if you drive in the rain. . Of course driving in the rain is one of those iffy things. We drove out West for 5 weeks and did not have any rain at all.

You might look into a deionizing water filter. I think that they are too expensive.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also use wash wax all. It takes less than an hour to do all 4 sides, so I tend to do it after every trip. I like doing it myself so I can see the condition of the coach as I wash. I do the roof twice a year.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We too were out West all summer. No rain for us either but we did pick up plenty of dust. We took advantage of the Blue Diamond (I think) truck wash when we found one. They are nice but they don't dry and they don't wax. I use "Wash Wax All" whenever things start looking dull and I am very happy with the results and the ease of application. Wash wax all does provide UV protection which is very important.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:47 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I highly recommend the CR spotless water system. I purchased last fall and have used it to wash after coming back or leaving for trips. I can wash the whole coach in about 40-45 min and the best part is there is no drying needed as it dries with no water spots. How often you have to replace the resin (I bought 3 replacements for $210 total- $70 each time) will depend on your water quality. I have probably washed our coach 6-8 times and vehicles about 6 times and still are no where close to needing to replace our resin (at 2ppm and recommendation is to replace at 20 ppm). The initial cost is large for system but once you have it I can't imagine not having one. I actually for Christmas had my wife get me the smaller version to keep in the coach when on trips if we need to wash at all.
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:51 AM   #6

Ok, this is the first i've ever heard of Wash Wax All. Went to their website to read about this stuff. Just sounds too good to be true so i went to Amazon to see about reading some of the reviews there. Everyone seems to like this stuff but i can't comprehend how it can work.

Did i read that around a pint might be used for a 30 foot motorhome? I don't have to wash the rig first? Except for dampening your cloth, you don't use water? I would think the microfiber cloth would get dirty and unusable after just a few swipes of a dirty surface. Again, just one pint? Am i dreaming?
Old 12-28-2016, 09:57 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Ok, this is the first i've ever heard of Wash Wax All. Went to their website to read about this stuff. Just sounds too good to be true so i went to Amazon to see about reading some of the reviews there. Everyone seems to like this stuff but i can't comprehend how it can work.

Did i read that around a pint might be used for a 30 foot motorhome? I don't have to wash the rig first? Except for dampening your cloth, you don't use water? I would think the microfiber cloth would get dirty and unusable after just a few swipes of a dirty surface. Again, just one pint? Am i dreaming?
I use 3 or 4 microfiber rags for my 40 ft. I use the pole with microfiber for reaching up high. It really is "that good!"
Old 12-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #8

Another vote for wash, wax all. Have been using it for about three years. It does an awesome job, I do have to use a micro fiber cloth for the corners etc, but it make cleaning the MH easy.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Um, could have sworn I asked a question about costs. Maybe I was dreaming?
Waywards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:11 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Nope. That's what you asked. I never went to a truck wash ( many here use them ) . I had extension poles and all the attachments . It didn't take an hour and didn't require a ladder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeward_aa View Post

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #11

We've used 'The Solution' on all our vehicles for the past 20+ years, including cars. However, we'd never apply it (even though it says it's o.k.) without washing first. When we sold the '04 motorhome 8 years later it sparkled. It really does protect the finish from sun damage.

Washing and applying 'The Solution' was done by a hose, bucket and long brush for the high parts; just rags on the low parts - done every two months - even as full-timers. 'The Solution' was done with paper towels and you need very little. It wipes on easily. No rubbing or polishing. If in a no-hookup campground as we were most often, we just used a bucket and got the water at a community faucet in the campground. We carried a folding ladder. It worked for us.

We don't even take our cars to a mechanical car wash. We don't like the thought of those brushes on the paint surface. Folks mention Blue Beacon for RVs but we never looked into it. Is it mechanical or hand wash? RVs have so many 'things' on the outside and roof that could get damaged.

Here are the prices for Blue Beacon:

RVMotorcoach Wash Prices

Some RV park have an outside service that will come in to wash/wax. Prices vary and can be up to $300 depending on the length of the RV.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My cost is minimal, I use an extendable, soft, long bristled brush and whatever automotive wash wax is on sale at Walmart. Use the same on all my other vehicles except a soft wash mitt.
I used it on my previous coach (fiberglass) and my current is full paint. I would not use any of kind pressure washer on any of my vehicles.
Takes me about 30/35 minutes on my 39 footer, feet never leave the ground.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeward_aa View Post
Maybe you did. I just don't sweat the incidental costs when it comes to taking care of the MH. Washing it is the least of my concerns. I spent less than 50 on the wash wax all about 2 years ago. I may have spent 10 bucks on more rags. The wash wax all is still half full. I wash at least every other month when traveling.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you wash your coach with regular water, hook up a leaf blower and use it to dry off after rinsing so no water spots!

Beats using a cloth to dry off.

burfurd

Tags
class a