Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Washing bugs off front cap and windshield

So I was wondering how you keep the front of your MH clean? I have to park my MH in a storage lot, and don't have access to water for a hand wash. So do any of you use your extended windshield washing wands, and just use a small bucket of water in the RV park to clean the windshield, and front grill of your MH? Gets kind of ugly after a fews days on the freeway, especially during the summer with all the bugs out?
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 07:29 PM   #2

For the windshield it's a light cleaning with Windex. I'm not trying to get everything off, just the stuff that would smear. Follow that with four ought (0000) steel wiool. That doesn't hurt the glass and will clean everything off the glass.
For the painted portion of the front cap I just use plain water in a bucket and an old washcloth. For stubborn bug splats I'll use a little Windex.
If you clean it right after you stop, even for an over night stop, it's fairly easy.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:33 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I get out my ladder and I use a small bucket with warm water (and sometimes a little vinegar) and a nylon scrubber pad or one of the little green rectangular scrub pads. Cleans the windshield very well and can be used on the cap (gently). A spray bottle with clean water helps with rinsing when needed. Wipe dry with clean towel or paper towel.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:38 PM   #4

I use soapy water and scrub brush on the entire front end. Fortunately I have water so that isnt an issue. I make sure the front end is waxed before I go on road again. We carry a ladder for the cleaning at stations where they dont provide a ladder or platform.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For the front cap, a campground owner in Alaska told me to try Pledge dusting spray, let it work a couple of minutes and then wipe off. It will remove the toughest bugs. I use the cheapest spray I can find. The bugs come off easier the second time.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #6

I use a bug sponge (and soapy water) that you can buy at Walmart. Google "bug sponge" ... It will not scratch either your window or paint. However, does require you to pull out your ladder so you can reach the top of your front cap. Works very well and as previously stated, the fresher you can get the bugs the better. Seems once the sun bakes them to the surface, then you have to scrub harder and a little longer.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:04 PM   #7

MicroFiber Cloth..
Mklbrook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:07 AM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Thanks everyone!
Tytlfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:04 PM   #9

Bugs

Greetings all,
Being new to RV'ing I listen to everyone's tricks and techniques for RV related issues. I recently purchased the system by Aero Cosmetics. The wash wax all cleaner wax is a dry wash so using it at parks that don't allow washing is not an issue. The mop kit has a v shaped head that has two micro fiber mop heads. One is the wet side the other is for drying and buffing. The 4' handle extends to 12' in one easy motion. The entire system is a bit pricey, but well worth it. The bugs come off so easy. The kit comes with a special scrub pad that is non scratching. I can't say enough about it. ( non compensated user)
Firelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #10
YC1

A good quality painters pole that is adjustable is worth the price. Screw on a brush for washing or a squeegee for cleaning the windows. You can get up close or stand back and get good leverage cleaning those monster.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #11

I 2nd Washwax.com using it for 5 years. Never wax again.
Ggrvusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #12

Prestone Bug wash in a sprayer, let sit, wipe off with a wet towel
Old 05-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought some cleaner from the Harley Davidson dealer. They label it and it's called "Bug remover". Spray it on a wet surface and let it sit for at least a minute or two, then wipe it or spray it off. I've never seen anything work like it. 16oz. spray bottle (#93600022) runs about $9 plus tax.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytlfamily View Post
So I was wondering how you keep the front of your MH clean? I have to park my MH in a storage lot, and don't have access to water for a hand wash. So do any of you use your extended windshield washing wands, and just use a small bucket of water in the RV park to clean the windshield, and front grill of your MH? Gets kind of ugly after a fews days on the freeway, especially during the summer with all the bugs out?
Forget all the gizmos and chemicals. Get on Amazon and order up one of these and use plain water with with this wraped around your extend a pole brush/squeegee. You WILL be amazed. No climbing a ladder. Will not affect your wax or paint finish.
To coin a phrase "Best Thing Since Sliced Bread"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

Tags
front cap