Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-16-2016, 07:19 AM   #1
Washing DP Radiator

I am about to wash my rear radiator once again and in the past I have used Simple Green Pro-HD with decent results. Just curious if anyone has come up with any other product which they find works even better.

This time I am considering using hot water to rinse it off thinking this may also improve end results.

Any feedback is appreciated.

expedition1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
Well Sir,
If you're open to a bit of advice, the first thing to do is, do whatever it takes, to get a good look at the "backside" of those fins. NOT the fins you see from the back of the coach, the ones you CAN'T see from the back of the coach. It's very hard to get to those primarily because the CAC is in the way. But, this way, if you can get a good look at them, AND the CAC fins from the fan side, you'll know if you're solution of ANYTHING is doing any good.

This is the problem with many D/P coaches. True access to the size that needs the cleaning is almost impossible with many of them, including mine. There was only ONE way for me to get my CAC and radiator thoroughly clean. And that was to remove both of them.

And even then, with the radiator on a set of saw horses, it took over a gallon of ZEP Citrus based degreaser, and three applications of a pressure washer to get all the gunk removed from those fins. There is no way on this planet that I could have EVER done that kind of effecien work, with them in the coach.

But, you'll have to determine if your system works good enough for your satisfaction.

2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:20 PM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Washing DP Radiator

I use this to clean mine:
Simple Green 13406 Extreme Aircraft and Precision Cleaner, 1 Gallon Bottle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VXU7OE..._RCd3xbTSERWJ7

I mix it up in a bug/weed sprayer per directions, spray the fins front, back, and sideways. Allow it to do its job, then spray it down with a hose. You have to spray a LOT to get the soap out, and you need to use a medium/mild spray pressure that does not bend the radiator fins.

I also go to a paint store or big-box and buy a disposable set of painter's overalls, because I get myself pretty dirty reaching and spraying all around in there.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:31 PM   #4
Agree, old clothes, something you can throw away, are a good plan.

I use diesel fuel, and Gunk foaming engine cleaner. Warm the engine up and shut it down. Spray from under the bed and while laying underneath using either material, and do the same from the back. Let it set for a few minutes, then start rinsing with a garden hose - again attacking from both sides.

When spraying/rinsing try to shoot straight through the fins. Shooting at an angle, any angle, not nearly as productive.

Let dry, then repeat as many times as necessary.
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
I use Simple Green Extreme. Spray on with warm or hot water - spray the front of the CAC. Than I run the engine at a high idle while still spraying into the fan - be careful. This is to hopefully blow the liquid through the CAC. I have seen it come through the CAC and through the radiator and show up at the back of the radiator. Then I let it sit for 10 minutes and do the same with hot water.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote