Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2015, 12:33 PM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't like the brush idea so I got a window washers T bar. It came with a microfiber head but you can get lambswool heads too. The handle is adjustable so I can wash the coach from the ground, no ladder needed. Plus it's handy at fuel stops for washing the windshield.

T-Bar

Shop Ettore Microfiber Sponge at Lowes.com

Pole

Shop Ettore 3.7-ft to 8.8-ft Telescoping Threaded Extension Pole at Lowes.com

T-Bar sleeve

Sleeve -- Sörbo - Yellow Jacket w/ Snaps - 06"

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2015, 02:09 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
I keep my MH at a storage facility where I don't have access to a water hose. I try to keep some water in the fresh water tank so that I can use a bucket and brush to wash the MH. I have occasionally washed at a campground, but I have always been nervous about this being allowed. What is the correct etiquette at campgrounds? Is it more permissible to use just a bucket instead of a hose?
Follow that CG's rule sheet you received at sign-in and you can't go wrong. I have asked about bucket N sponge washing when the rules said no vehicle washing and occasionally been approved, but most often denied.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
I didn't like the brush idea so I got a window washers T bar. It came with a microfiber head but you can get lambswool heads too. The handle is adjustable so I can wash the coach from the ground, no ladder needed. Plus it's handy at fuel stops for washing the windshield.

T-Bar

Shop Ettore Microfiber Sponge at Lowes.com

Pole

Shop Ettore 3.7-ft to 8.8-ft Telescoping Threaded Extension Pole at Lowes.com

T-Bar sleeve

Sleeve -- Sörbo - Yellow Jacket w/ Snaps - 06"
That's a conundrum. One of the MH mftrs, I forget whether it was Monaco or Newmar stated in their owners manual NOT to use microfiber because it would scratch the paint they used.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 11-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
I'm not as "seasoned" as some of the fine folks on this forum.. but I agree that it's best to wash it yourself for many reasons, including the fact that you will be forced to visually inspect every square inch of your RV. Case-in-point, I washed my (new in Sept) RV recently and discovered that one of the lights was full of water. The light still worked (miraculously) so I may not have noticed for quite some time if I was going to Blue Beacon all this time. Lots of opinions about products out there so I won't add my 2 cents. But I wash mine after nearly every trip, and I wax it 2x per year.

(BTW--I also don't like the idea of power washing an RV.. too much risk. So I'd certainly never allow someone else to blast my baby with high-pressure water and air.)
An aside to this topic, but I'll say it anyway. I found out the hard way when water fills a clearance light lens, it then runs into the wiring hole in the skin and soaks everything inside.
I had to rebuild the left front corner of a 5er because of this. Now every clearance lens has a 1/8" hole drilled in the bottom.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:20 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmat View Post
I used Blue Beacon on my last RV once and some of the markings on the door were washed off. Otherwise I thought they did a good job. However I then read in the manual to avoid commercial truck washes. In my Itasca Sunova manual it is clear and it is probably in the Meridian manual as it is most likely the same brand paint:

Washing
• Commercial vehicle wash facilities should be strictly avoided! They will scratch your RV! Truck-style wash centers have high pressure wands that emit higher than necessary water pressures and the brushes are very aggressive. Most truck wash brushes are made from a heavy plastic for durability and are under heavy pressure. They are designed to clean heavy road films on semi trailers and are often dirty. They are not designed for custom painted RV’s and they will scratch the clear coat finish. Many times these scratches can penetrate the clear coat finish, possibly causing delamination and/or other paint related issues that are not covered under warranty.

A friend of mine who travels in the winter months said that at several campgrounds they had a people that came around for a fee to wash motor homes. They were self contained and brought their own water with them. While in Florida in March he was at a park that allowed you to wash your coach which he attempted to do and fell from the ladder and ended up with a compound fracture of his lower leg. Which of course got infected, healed up, got re-infected, had the screws removed and is currently on antibiotics from the March incident. So I'm not advocating you clean it yourself but that is an option if you find a park that allows it.

There has been other forum discussions about waterless cleaners which some people have been talking up. That might be an alternative but there are still the same risks as washing it with water yourself. Camping World offers RV washing and most RV dealerships have people or bring in people who detail the motor homes that they sell. Perhaps if your in a campground for a few days the campground would know of someone or a phone call to a nearby dealership could locate a local company that just washes RV's. Many times you will see on the border of the campground map ads for nearby rv repair people, dealerships and people washing motor homes along with restaurants, etc.

There is always somebody that washes cars and would give you a price for washing an motor home. It may cost you a few dollars but Blue Beacon isn't that cheap either.
Theres the rub, Blue Beacon MH wash is not the same as their commercial truck wash. Read their website to confirm.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That's a conundrum. One of the MH mftrs, I forget whether it was Monaco or Newmar stated in their owners manual NOT to use microfiber because it would scratch the paint they used.
Yep, heard that many times. Thankfully only used the microfiber sleeve once. If you do a Google search for window washer sleeves you'll find microfiber, lambswool and many other types. There is even a 0000 steel wool sleeve for those of you that like to clean your windshield with steel wool, not me, not yet anyway.

I also use this in combination with a soap cannon. It's just a hose powered unit, no pressure washer needed. I soap up the coach in sections, wash with the T bar and then rinse. I then switch from the T bar to a squeegee and wipe the whole rig off. Not show quality clean but it's clean and no ladders needed.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #49

I have used the wash services that come to campgrounds. I have used the low end and very high end ones. One high end (costing almost $600) made the coach brand new.
They use high pressure also but soft water (as opposed to hard water that leaves streaks). Also variety of chemicals.
I am still really interested to use BB while traveling on the road.

Itasca Meridian 36M, 2013. Jeep Wrangler X, 2009
Full Timer from Norfolk VA
Old 11-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #50

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I have been using Blue Beacon in San Antonio and they do a very good job. They are no brushes involved only high pressure. I also will do the lower part of my coach myself.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Theres the rub, Blue Beacon MH wash is not the same as their commercial truck wash. Read their website to confirm.
So not to confuse others the name of the place is Blue Beacon Truck Wash but they distinctly specialize in washing Trucks and Motorhomes and they wash them differently. Checking their website It seems they know what they are doing when it comes to Motorhomes. When I went to the Blue Beacon in Sioux Falls, SD I was the only Motorhome in line everything else was truck and trailers. What was nice I even had them do my jeep while still being towed behind the Motorhome. If all the Blue Beacons are the same as Sioux Falls you can see the entire operation from where you pay and verify that they are doing the Motorhome wash. So, rethinking it despite the manufacturers notice and provided they did as they explained on their website I would give them a shot. When you think about it - getting it clean more often is better for the finish than having the dirt stay on it until you get home weeks or months later.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:21 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Went to BB in Weatherford, Tx on Saturday morning - first time they asked me how long... guess the tag axle gave it away !

$52 wash, rain-x, citrushined wheels, and undercarraige ... worth every penny.

the wheels look absolutely BLINDING
and it rained today :(
but I didn't drive it so it just got a nice purified water rinse !
Old 11-17-2015, 06:36 PM   #53

Been washing mine myself. Take a Saturday with nothing else on list, drive over to water hose outlet where I store my coach, bucket of McGuires wash/wax, give it a good cleaning. Lite a cigar, break out a couple of microfiber towels, ladder and wipe it down. QC myself after I am done and if I don't like something, I can holler at myself.
DaSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #54

Practice makes PERFECT WASH. My address is___________.

Peter Collins
Woodland WA
2014 Anthem 42DEQ
pallencollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:24 AM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Getting up there

Lots of great ideas for keeping the coach clean and shiny. I wash my own coach using baby shampoo, as recommended by the manufacturer (Tiffin) using a wash mitt on an extension pole, like many others. But I never feel like I'm doing a complete job on the higher areas so I bought a section of scaffolding from Tractor Supply for about $150. It sets up easily and comes apart so I can easily store it in my garage. Once a year I do a complete hand wash and wax job using the scaffolding. It is much easier and safer than using a ladder and I can thoroughly inspect the paint surface for any dings.
Then I hope it doesn't rain for a while!