Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Wash and Polish by detail crew, and like previously suggested cheaper then ER. Sanford

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 03:53 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks to all. Located blue beacon fairly close and tried them out. They do not do roofs, but put enough water up there to get loose stuff off. No dirt ran down the side. Wash and Rainex $47.00. Good enough! DW will now go somewhere.

Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:46 PM   #17

2011 American Tradition

What about using 3-0-3 products on the roof rather than wax?
Old 06-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
303 is an excellent alternative for the roof. It is what I use after washing it. I do not wax my roof--but the 303 offers excellent sun screen protection in addition to acting like wax and repelling dirt.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:12 PM   #19

I use a extension pole with a soft brush everytime it gets a bath which is before and after every trip.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:23 PM   #20

Interesting that nobody else uses a portable scaffold and stands on that...
Old 06-29-2015, 07:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
2X - I use it too!

On another issue, if you don't have a built-in ladder, what is the safest way of getting up there? I have a 12' step ladder, but that is not tall enough!
Best you hire someone for sure...
Old 06-29-2015, 08:55 PM   #22

I wash my roof a couple times a year. I go bare foot, yes I take my shoes and socks off. I use a really soft broom and a five gallon bucket and scrub away.

It's a little scary as the coach rocks and sways, but it takes less than an hour and I'm use to the sway.

P.S. I leave in an area where you can wear shorts 360 days a year.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:28 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Interesting that nobody else uses a portable scaffold and stands on that...
Well now that you mention it I have a 40 foot scissor lift that is gasoline powered and will move on a rough terrain. I have used it for cleaning and waxing the top of the sides.

I was staying in a campground and wanted to get the motor home cleaned. I went to a local truck wash. They wanted 50 to wash the RV. I mentioned I had some black stripes on the sides coming off of the roof. They offered to wash the roof for 35.00. I had them do that and watched it. They had two guys with scrub brushes working on it. When they got done the roof was as white as snow. It is not worth the 35.00 they charged for me to get up on either the roof or my scissor lift to do that.

to the OP look for a truck wash and ask them to do the roof. The one I used had no problems with doing it
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
303 is an excellent alternative for the roof. It is what I use after washing it. I do not wax my roof--but the 303 offers excellent sun screen protection in addition to acting like wax and repelling dirt.
Are you sure about this statement for a fiberglass roof? This is good for the rubber and plastic stuff but not sure about your entire roof.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:24 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I still do the scrub and hand wax on my fiberglass roof. Seems to work well and I do this every summer, once a year.
Been considering using the Zep Wax but haven't made a firm decision yet.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:29 AM   #26

Washed the coach yesterday and decided to start with the roof....... It really wasn't very dirty (I had rinsed it off once before, and we had a good hard rain late on our last trip; also kept in covered storage), but I was not a happy camper up there.

Very glad I happen to have an 18"x18" piece of foam rubber to provide a non slippery surface to work from. I used regular car wash (same as I use on the rest of the coach) and a long handle pole with a micro fiber "mitt" to try to work away from water and soap, but going to rethink it for next time. Maybe a bucket, and work a very small spot at a time sitting on a larger foam pad, just wash it and dry it off, and move to a next spot.........

Was too nervous to even think about working on some of the left over muck from the coach build.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:37 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I washed mine with a power washer. Removed all the debris and dirt and now is very white. No soap or anything, just water and pressure. Took me maybe 30 minutes. I don't think it had been washed in a decade.
Tom Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Are you sure about this statement for a fiberglass roof? This is good for the rubber and plastic stuff but not sure about your entire roof.
Well.. I got the idea from others here on the forum and have been using it on my fiberglass roof. I can't imagine that it could be harmful? And I surely wouldn't want a waxed roof--imagine how slippery that'd be. Of course, we all make our own decisions, but 303 works great for me. :-)

Tags
motorhome