Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2015, 06:30 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Washing top of motorhome

How do you wash the top of your motorhome? The top of mine is filthy and I do not want to be on it with it slick. My footing and reaction is not what it used to be.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I pay someone else to do it for me.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I wear a good pair of shoes that don't slip on the surface. My fiberglass roof has dimples in it which provide for a nonslip surface, I don't seem to have a problem. I take my time and start at the front and work my way back.

The one thing I did last year was wash the roof really good, got it white white white, and then put down a couple coats of Zep Commercial Floor Wax. It looks really good almost a year later.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #4

I wait for rain. My roof is a brown color and the gutter system keeps the sides relatively clean. I do not wash my house roof either.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:25 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Hose, bucket, Simple Green, and wife's sponge floor mop. Once a year. Just move slowly, and take little steps. Do small areas and rinse well.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:39 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out Aero Cosmetics, they have a cleaner called WASH/WAX ALL waterless cleaners, they have a sample kit, to try it. it meets Boeing and Airbus specs. you can wash the roof with out water if you want, i used on my MH and and its a good product.
timmy g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you don't have a pair of shoes that won't slip on the wet roof - try an old pair of thick cotton socks. Trick form my sailing days. You want slick try a moving, wet and slippery surface. Also once on roof tie a rope across the top of the ladder and run hose over it to prevent hose from marking up the sides.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #8

Alot of good suggestions here, but if your footing and reactions are not what it use to be, hire a handyman they usually have the best prices.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:34 PM   #9
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy g View Post
Check out Aero Cosmetics, they have a cleaner called WASH/WAX ALL waterless cleaners, they have a sample kit, to try it. it meets Boeing and Airbus specs. you can wash the roof with out water if you want, i used on my MH and and its a good product.
2X - I use it too!

On another issue, if you don't have a built-in ladder, what is the safest way of getting up there? I have a 12' step ladder, but that is not tall enough!
Old 06-28-2015, 10:23 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I f your footing and reaction isn't what it use to be, hire someone to do it for you. Simply not worth the risk. 13' or so is sufficient to cause a fatal injury.

Assume the cost of having it cleaned is less than the deductable on your medical plan.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:46 PM   #11

my detail guy wash's the roof...once a year would do it
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:54 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
If you don't have a pair of shoes that won't slip on the wet roof - try an old pair of thick cotton socks. Trick from my sailing days. You want slick, try a moving, wet and slippery surface.
Yep, they gave that tip at an FMCA rally last week.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:41 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I always stand in the middle and using a long handle brush, wash to the outside.

My biggest problem is getting on the roof from the wimpy little ladder on the rear
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:43 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I wash the sides of my RV after every use where we had to drive in the rain (we are primarily weekenders). I only wash the roof about twice per year, before I'm getting ready to wax.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome