Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2006, 06:08 AM   #1

I am looking at the Flojet waste pump to drain my black water tank at home. Camping world has them on sale. Has anyone had experience with these? Any problems? Thanks!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2006, 06:08 AM   #2

I am looking at the Flojet waste pump to drain my black water tank at home. Camping world has them on sale. Has anyone had experience with these? Any problems? Thanks!!!!

Old 08-17-2006, 09:12 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been wondering the same for this kind of waste handling. In particular, I am concerned that the black holding tanks seem to be designd around the idea that the large surge flow during a dump helps move and evacuate the solids in the tank.
How does this occur with the much smaller drainage volume seemingly present with a waste pump?
Old 08-17-2006, 09:12 AM   #4

RV Sanicon macerator

Old 08-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

davidj2, CONGRATS on making your post in a year!!

Looks like you've gotten a couple of answers to your question, maybe some other folks will come along as well...

Don't be afraid to make another post, we look forward to hearing what you decide on the waste system!!
rebelsbeach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

A friend has one and I've used it at home. Works fine, but you really do have to have a large diameter hose (they recommend 1 inch) if you pump very much or very far. We tried to go 100 feet using 75 feet of 3/4 inch hose and 25 feet of 5/8 and kept burning out fuses on the 12V power line to the pump. I finally put a "Y" on the end of the 3/4 inch hose and ran parallel lengths of 5/8 hose and we managed to get the 45 gallon tank dumped. Still had to stop a couple times to let it cool down a bit, though. I'd say 3/4 inch is a minimum diamter and good up to about 75 feet.

That concern aside, it works great.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I have had the Flojet portable waste pump for two years and only use it when we are camping at one certain location. Mine has worked fine using a 3/4 hose and a 5/8 hose up to 125 ft. I did make up a 10 Gage power wire to run to the batteries due to the amperage the pump draws (20amps)and the fact it had to go 20ft to the batteries but it had no problems with the distance or the hose size during the pumping. Takes about 3-4 minutes to empty a 40 gal tank the first time, however, as someone said earlier, you don't get the suction since it doesn't drain as fast so I usually run another tank of water to flush the tank. That seems to work just fine. Overall, for what I use it for, its great. You might check around on the price as I paid less than 200 for mine over two years ago, forget who I ordered it from though.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 04:44 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have the RV Sani-Con and love it. Use it at home because my rv-dump is actually a sewer drain in the garage and the Sani-Con can easily pump the 40-ft distance from the motorhome to the drain. If I remember correctly mine will go up to 150-ft horizontal and 25-ft vertical. I think they have some models that will do better then that. I sometimes use it at dump sites, but most of the time I just dump through the hose.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:28 AM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:
RV Sanicon macerator

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Troth. RV Upgrades is a sponsor too.

Welcome to IRV2 David.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:31 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My new coach came with a Sani-Con, but since (1) the pump itself was mounted above the sewer-outlet (meaning it never could completely drain the tank by itself), (2) the hose needed to be connected/disconnected each time it was used (because there wasn't enough clearance to close the compartment door otherwise), (3) the higher-flow 4inch hose seems to evacuate the tank better and (4) the Sani-Con is a lot slower (especially if there's a waiting-line at the dump-station), I decided to continue to use the regular slinky-hose and keep the Sani-Con available ˜just in case'.

Well, last week I was very glad I had it. The place we camped at had water/electric but no sewer-dump on-premises, although there was a cleanout for the restroom building about 120ft from our site. Management said we were welcome to try and maneuver our rig close enough to do the deed, but with power-lines, tree-limbs and an nearly-impossible turn off the road, I decided to give the Sani-Con another try.

Out it came and was hooked up in short order. I ended up ˜donating' one of my fresh-water hoses for the task too (gotta remember to get another one to replace it!), but it all reached with inches to spare, and saved me from having to go way out of my way to find a dump-station.

So, I am now here to say that the RV Sani-Con did its duty and did it well.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:18 AM   #11

Thanks for the great info and other options. I will be pumping aprox 60' level ground to a clean-out in my sewer line. I guess the perfect size hose would be at least 1", and I will need heavy gauge wire for my power. It's good to know that it can and will work. When I get it figured out i will let yall know. Thanks!!!
Old 08-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davidj2:
Thanks for the great info and other options. I will be pumping aprox 60' level ground to a clean-out in my sewer line. I guess the perfect size hose would be at least 1", and I will need heavy gauge wire for my power. It's good to know that it can and will work. When I get it figured out i will let yall know. Thanks!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the subject of dumping into sewer cleanouts, does anyone know of any harm done to my septic system if I dump my black water into my home cleanout. I use Aqua Chem in the black water, and it contains formaldahyde (sp). Just curious.

Dieselclacker
Old 08-18-2006, 02:56 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dieselclacker,

Formaldehyde is not good for septic tanks as it kills the beneficial bacteria needed in the septic system to "digest" the waste. Note the third question on this link to the RV Doctor.
RV Doctor
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:25 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the info and the read Gary, I had heard that formaldehyde wasn't good for septic systems.

Dieselclacker