Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #1

Waste System Sewer Hoses

Hello,
My current stinky Slinkys are leaking and are in need of replacement.

I am leaning towards the Waste Master system. Does anybody have experience with this?

I have also considered the Sani-Con System. My main reservation with this is my concern the tank will not fully drain and sludge will be left in the tank.

Cost is not an issue as they are fairly close in price.

Thank you for your time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a Rhino Flex hose a few years ago. Rugged, and collapses for easier storage. Have thought about some of the other more elaborate solutions. But this premium slinky hose has removed enough of the hassles to be good enough for me. YMMV.

RhinoFLEX RV Sewer Hose w Swivel Fittings, 4-in-1 Adapter, and Storage Caps - 15' Long Camco Plumbing CAM39761

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Use your black tank flush to insure there isn't any slush left in the bottom of the tank.

I have a clear plastic attachment on our RhinoFlex RV Sewer drain hose so I can tell when the tank is clean and only clear water is draining.

Clearview 5" Sewer Adapter with Bayonet Lugs - Valterra T1021 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:53 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes ,, I have the wastemaster cam lock system. A good , no leak, tough, easy to use
hose ., The only down side I can think of is the cost and the fact that is is proprietary.
You won't find spare parts at a wal mart or RV store . It's durable enough that the chance of needing a part is remote , though.
Now you have to ask if I would buy this system again and the answer is - no. I would go back to the permanently installed macerator and a stinky slinky as a back up. If a macerator is not your cup of tea , the Wastemaster is an excellent choice
Old 12-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I see camping world has them on sale . Price makes it attractive
Old 12-05-2015, 11:33 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Use your black tank flush to insure there isn't any slush left in the bottom of the tank.

I have a clear plastic attachment on our RhinoFlex RV Sewer drain hose so I can tell when the tank is clean and only clear water is draining.

Clearview 5" Sewer Adapter with Bayonet Lugs - Valterra T1021 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World

Jon

Same here regarding the clear attachment. An excellent addition to any system.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:33 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Waste System Sewer Hoses

Hi, Lenny..... I looked at the waste master, but elected to defer. 1) in preparing your RV connection for the Wastemaster fitting, by removing the bayonet locking nubs you render the RV connector unusable for any future bayonet connector; 2) if you need additional length, there is no flexibility-- you must use the Wastemaster hose; and 3) that oversized end fitting on the Wastemaster is cumbersome to store, and functionally unnecessary. No additional valve is necessary, in my view, and should you choose to close that valve you will have a hose full of waste water to deal with.

I don't use any hose you could call "slinky". I think having an extra 5 or 10 ft of hose snaked around on the ground can only contribute to incomplete drainage and other problems. I use only the Rinoflex or Valterra Dominator hoses. Their bayonet fittings are substantial and standardized, and they both use the heavy, semi-rigid flex hose that will hold its length and shape after adjustment, and is very tough and durable. If replacement or addition does become necessary, sections are available at many sources in several lengths.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:12 AM   #8

Slinky works for me

I carry three slinky hoses. All are 10' long. If I need to I can put them together and get 30' of drain hose. I have never needed more. I also take a 35 gallon tank on wheels along with me on a carry rack which slides into the receiver hitch on the rear of my MH if I am going to stay where there won't be a sewer hookup.
I never let my black water tank get over 1/2 full. When it reaches 1/2 I fill it up with water and drain it. This keeps it clean and buildup free. If I am hooked to a sewer system I will add 1/2 tank of fresh water after draining the tank and drain it again to be sure the tank is clean. I always leave the gray water valve open so soap residue doesn't contaminate the level sensors. Before I leave the campsite I will fill the gray water tank and flush it out also.
After I drain either tank I will leave the hose hooked to the tank drain and pick the hose up some and walk it out to completely drain the hose. I drain the gray water tank last to help the hose rinsing process.
I also have a cap for the hose(s) which goes on to the inlet hose end and will accept a standard garden hose. I turn the water on and this does a good thorough job of rinsing the hose. I don't call it a stinky slinky because I don't let the hose get stinky.
When I am done draining the tanks and rinsing the hose(s) I roll the drain hose(s) up and put the ends together to keep any residual from leaking into the storage bay. I have caps which fit on both ends but don't normally have to use them.
A little time and work will usually solve most problems folks will encounter with tanks and hoses. There is really no need in my opinion for fancy gadgets to drain and maintain tanks and hoses. I take advantage of gravity.
I also have a sewage treatment plant just 1 1/2 miles from my workplace. They allow anyone to use the 2 dump stations they have at no charge. I will take my MH to work on occasion and fill the tanks at work, drive to the dump station and drain the tanks. They have clean water there and water hoses so a good cleaning is possible. I leave a couple gallons of water in the tanks along with a deodorizer to keep everything clean and fresh and odor free.
I have a small piece of 1x1" wooden trim cut to length I can place between the flush handle on the toilet and the bathroom wall so the tank will fill without me having to hold the handle.
None of this is rocket science. Just common sense and caring for the systems.
Lynn
Old 12-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I carry three slinky hoses. All are 10' long. If I need to I can put them together and get 30' of drain hose. I have never needed more. I also take a 35 gallon tank on wheels along with me on a carry rack which slides into the receiver hitch on the rear of my MH if I am going to stay where there won't be a sewer hookup.
I never let my black water tank get over 1/2 full. When it reaches 1/2 I fill it up with water and drain it. This keeps it clean and buildup free. If I am hooked to a sewer system I will add 1/2 tank of fresh water after draining the tank and drain it again to be sure the tank is clean. I always leave the gray water valve open so soap residue doesn't contaminate the level sensors. Before I leave the campsite I will fill the gray water tank and flush it out also.
After I drain either tank I will leave the hose hooked to the tank drain and pick the hose up some and walk it out to completely drain the hose. I drain the gray water tank last to help the hose rinsing process.
I also have a cap for the hose(s) which goes on to the inlet hose end and will accept a standard garden hose. I turn the water on and this does a good thorough job of rinsing the hose. I don't call it a stinky slinky because I don't let the hose get stinky.
When I am done draining the tanks and rinsing the hose(s) I roll the drain hose(s) up and put the ends together to keep any residual from leaking into the storage bay. I have caps which fit on both ends but don't normally have to use them.
A little time and work will usually solve most problems folks will encounter with tanks and hoses. There is really no need in my opinion for fancy gadgets to drain and maintain tanks and hoses. I take advantage of gravity.
I also have a sewage treatment plant just 1 1/2 miles from my workplace. They allow anyone to use the 2 dump stations they have at no charge. I will take my MH to work on occasion and fill the tanks at work, drive to the dump station and drain the tanks. They have clean water there and water hoses so a good cleaning is possible. I leave a couple gallons of water in the tanks along with a deodorizer to keep everything clean and fresh and odor free.
I have a small piece of 1x1" wooden trim cut to length I can place between the flush handle on the toilet and the bathroom wall so the tank will fill without me having to hold the handle.
None of this is rocket science. Just common sense and caring for the systems.
Lynn
Thank you for sharing. I too do not like gadgets as that is another notch against the macerator systems. Gravity always works.

I will mainly looking for people with 1st hand knowledge of the Waste Master system as there hoses appear to be highly resistant to leaking.

Thanks again
Old 12-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Hi, Lenny..... I looked at the waste master, but elected to defer. 1) in preparing your RV connection for the Wastemaster fitting, by removing the bayonet locking nubs you render the RV connector unusable for any future bayonet connector; 2) if you need additional length, there is no flexibility-- you must use the Wastemaster hose; and 3) that oversized end fitting on the Wastemaster is cumbersome to store, and functionally unnecessary. No additional valve is necessary, in my view, and should you choose to close that valve you will have a hose full of waste water to deal with.

I don't use any hose you could call "slinky". I think having an extra 5 or 10 ft of hose snaked around on the ground can only contribute to incomplete drainage and other problems. I use only the Rinoflex or Valterra Dominator hoses. Their bayonet fittings are substantial and standardized, and they both use the heavy, semi-rigid flex hose that will hold its length and shape after adjustment, and is very tough and durable. If replacement or addition does become necessary, sections are available at many sources in several lengths.

Hello John and Diane,
Thanks for your input. I too do not like having to remove those nubs but due to the seal differences between the old bayonet and "WM" it is something I probable will due.

I keep my rig in my garage at my office and installed full hookups.
My sewer drain is located 22' from drain port which requires 3 hoses. Unfortunately, my Rhino fittings are leaking in two hoses and need replacement. Since they are only a few years old and have failed I want an upgrade in quality.

Thanks again
Old 12-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Thank you for sharing. I too do not like gadgets as that is another notch against the macerator systems. Gravity always works.
I will mainly looking for people with 1st hand knowledge of the Waste Master system as there hoses appear to be highly resistant to leaking.
Thanks again
lenny-shawna
I don't know about the Waste Master system but I've been using the "highly resistant to leaking hoses" and fittings that came in the this Blueline Ultimate Sewer Kit: Blueline Ultimate Sewer Kit - $49.97 for over 14 years....(no leaks so far).
Mel
'96 Safari, 145k miles
Old 12-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
..........Unfortunately, my Rhino fittings are leaking in two hoses and need replacement. Since they are only a few years old and have failed I want an upgrade in quality...........

The fittings are leaking. That IS unusual. Those fittings are factory bonded and are essentially bulletproof! I've carried three sections for four years. My only replacement was necessitated by a puncture from a falling tree branch.

Of course, you're free to change to whatever you think is higher quality, but before you spend a lot make sure you're targeting the right problem. You might look at the o-rings in the fittings. They do need to be replaced from time to time. About a buck apiece, if I recall.

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
The fittings are leaking. That IS unusual. Those fittings are factory bonded and are essentially bulletproof! I've carried three sections for four years. My only replacement was necessitated by a puncture from a falling tree branch.

Of course, you're free to change to whatever you think is higher quality, but before you spend a lot make sure you're targeting the right problem. You might look at the o-rings in the fittings. They do need to be replaced from time to time. About a buck apiece, if I recall.

I totally agree with changing out the O rings or seals. Problem solved.
Lynn
Old 12-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by phranc View Post
Yes ,, I have the wastemaster cam lock system. A good , no leak, tough, easy to use
hose ., The only down side I can think of is the cost and the fact that is is proprietary.
You won't find spare parts at a wal mart or RV store . It's durable enough that the chance of needing a part is remote , though.
Now you have to ask if I would buy this system again and the answer is - no. I would go back to the permanently installed macerator and a stinky slinky as a back up. If a macerator is not your cup of tea , the Wastemaster is an excellent choice
Why wouldn't you buy it again? Is the ease of the macerator your determining factor?

I do want the macerator for that reason but am concerned about sludge left in tank.

Since you have experience with the macerator, how long does it take to drain a completely full tank?

Thanks again