Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #1

Wasted space

So with space being a rare commodity in RV's, I feel that all space needs to be utilized wisely. So thats why when we went & looked at a '99 Residency and found that there was a bunch of open space in the living room area, our minds started racing on how to properly fill it.

We are thinking that an eating / sitting / sleeping combo would best fit our family since the only sleeping area (besides the back bedroom) is the fold out couch & we have 2 kids (one almost 16 and one almost 5). Also, the eating area is a little ledge behind the L shaped couch that probably only 3 of us could fit at.

Any suggestions?

Here is a pic of the space. (sorry its not a very good pic, but it runs the length of the 3 windows on the passenger side)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2196.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	21708   Click image for larger version

Name:	passenger.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	21709  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The one thing that comes to mind is making sure you can secure what ever you put there. Finding a way to anchor down something might be the first step on figuring out what you want there.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #3

Carolina Campers
I have a '95 residency with the same floor plan. Except for our 3 year old grandson, it's not often we have overnight guests but when we do I utilize the fold out couch and if needed an air bed on the floor next to the couch. I've read of some folks on here fabricating a bed for little ones that stretches between the driver and passenger seats. For dining we have a coffee table in front of the couch that has a hinged top that raises up back towards the couch and locks into place for extra dining space. There's a flush mount D ring in the floor to secure it for travel. I also keep some folding tv trays in the basement in case we need additional dining space. As I often remind my wife, our RV is designed to sleep 3 and feed 6!
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #4

Good to know! Hubby was going to look into some bucket chairs that I guess turn into a bed, which would be great for more seating (especially close to those beautiful windows!) and also give more sleeping area.

I did find it odd that when you fold down the couch to make it into a bed, it doesn't come flush to the edge. Seems that it would actually give it more sleeping space if it did. But maybe it would need to be supported somehow.

Seeing as how we have kids, I was thinking of not eating on the couch, so the ledge & table between the chairs we'd like to add, might be a good solution.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
There are panels all over all RVs...pull them off, you'd be surprised at the area that is wasted that could be used for storage. I store little used items in some of these areas.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you want the space for eatin, a foldable 5 ft table and folding chairs could fit in that area and be secured when not in use behind the table you have there. Te table I have folds in half, and could go right over the top of your current table there.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
So with space being a rare commodity in RV's, I feel that all space needs to be utilized wisely. So thats why when we went & looked at a '99 Residency and found that there was a bunch of open space in the living room area, our minds started racing on how to properly fill it.

We are thinking that an eating / sitting / sleeping combo would best fit our family since the only sleeping area (besides the back bedroom) is the fold out couch & we have 2 kids (one almost 16 and one almost 5). Also, the eating area is a little ledge behind the L shaped couch that probably only 3 of us could fit at.

Any suggestions?

Here is a pic of the space. (sorry its not a very good pic, but it runs the length of the 3 windows on the passenger side)
Something like THIS, perhaps?

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That would be a great solution. Just a little expensive, but in my opinion, worth it. It will last for many years
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #9

We were looking at something like a dinette (yes, quite expensive) or a couple of caprains chairs with a table in between.

Is there like an RV pick your part somewhere, cause that sounds like a fun place to visit!