Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2016, 06:55 AM   #1

Watching your TV

While looking online at used DP's for sale, I'm wondering how do you watch tv when the screen always seems to be at 90 degrees to the seating areas? Most floor plans I see have sofas on the sides with a tv over the driving area, and occasionally in the wall that separates the living area from the bedroom.

Chris
Shelbydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2016, 07:00 AM   #2

We have the usual over head TV in our house that we use when on the road and we bought an additional TV that we pull out and set on the dash, outside or on the table so our necks don't get a kink in them!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:05 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
37" TV over the dash. We have two recliner chairs. When traveling they are next to one another on the driver side. When camped one is positioned in the middle of the coach, so nearly direct on to TV. The other is mid cabin and angled towards the TV. Works great for viewing. We also have a 32" mid TV, which at first we thought would not be used. However have found it's great for when at the dining table or working in the kitchen.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:37 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
One of the reasons we never liked the opposing couch layout. We were very specific in the layout of ours. Manufacturers have not been using our floor plan for very long, so new or only slightly used was our option.
We have the L-shaped sofa with the TV behind the driver seat with fireplace under it. A recliner is next to the TV. We also have the TV over the front. It works well for us because I usually sit on the couch and watch the TV in front of me, my wife sits in the recliner and watches the TV overhead.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:58 AM   #5

We also have the tv up over the dash. We have two lazy boy recliiners where the couch would have been.. Like others have said. I just pull them out and they face the tv with plenty of room to walk from front to back in the motorhome..
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
One of the first things we did with our current MADP was to have the front TV removed and replaced with a nice LED smart TV in a televator cabinet across from our recliner chairs. No more kinked neck or heads being banged on the oversized front TV cabinet.

Another alternative might be a wearable display. Yes, that is right, a wearable display. I just got my hands on a Vuzix iWear that provides a personal 125” home theater screen, as viewed from 10 feet away. Withese connected to virtually any HDMI video source I have the equivalent of an Imax theater right in my coach.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #7

I put my TV on a swivel mount. Stores flush up front while travelling and then pull out to a more comfortable viewing angle when camping.
WhatsHisName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:53 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have one TV over the dash, a small 32" unit. In the main salon I have a 48" on a pull out slide (just replaced the old 42" unit a week or so ago, the picture is of the old 42" unit). The recliner turns either way so no cramping my neck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6999 (11).jpg
Views:	203
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	142611   Click image for larger version

Name:	6999 Magna (4).JPG
Views:	212
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	142612  

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Watching TV

Our main TV is on an angle facing the couch, dinette and the captains chairs in the drivers area (as they turn 180 to face the TV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ENDEAVOR Inter 1.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	142613  
IrishGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbydo View Post
While looking online at used DP's for sale, I'm wondering how do you watch tv when the screen always seems to be at 90 degrees to the seating areas? Most floor plans I see have sofas on the sides with a tv over the driving area, and occasionally in the wall that separates the living area from the bedroom.

Chris
This was one of the first things we knew we had to change on our DS.
Removed the couch and replaced with two Lazyboy recliners. Tossed the wobbly swivel rocker that was opposite the couch and replaced with a custom cabinet that holds the TV on a lift and the computer, file drawer etc.
The overhead TV spot was changed into a storage cabinet. No more kinked necks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3017.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	142615   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3034.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	142616  

Old 10-25-2016, 11:44 AM   #11

TV modifications

Dennis45,
Very nice job you did , looks comfy + and professionally done. One of my couch's is getting the boot and i think I will copy your idea.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
One of the first things we did with our current MADP was to have the front TV removed and replaced with a nice LED smart TV in a televator cabinet across from our recliner chairs. No more kinked neck or heads being banged on the oversized front TV cabinet.

Another alternative might be a wearable display. Yes, that is right, a wearable display. I just got my hands on a Vuzix iWear that provides a personal 125” home theater screen, as viewed from 10 feet away. Withese connected to virtually any HDMI video source I have the equivalent of an Imax theater right in my coach.

For 500$ those headphone viewers are pricey but look very interesting. How about giving us a review on good and bad and your impressions?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #13

Our first two DP's had a traditional salon layout like you describe. They also had 19" deep dish TV's so we didn't watch movies. This coach has a nice size set right across from the sofa so we have been known to watch a movie when the weather is bad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSDP mod image 3.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	142619  
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
This our setup. I face this TV from the couch and the wife watches the one up front.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1477420173956.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	142627  
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote