Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #1

Water accumulation on top of the slideouts

Hi all. Need your help again. We have an Itasca Meridian 36M. It has three slideouts. Each slideout have a owning. When it rains the water somehow gets between the owning and top of the slideouts. When we take the camp down and pull the slideouts in the water drips from the side of slideouts inside the MH. Is there a trick to make sure the water is poured out before we pull the slideouts in? Hope I am explaining this well.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Several ways

There is a product called 'The Wedge' or something like that. Not cheap and you have to somehow inflate them after putting them between the slide and the topper.

I've seen folks make a frame out of PVC pipe to create a bit of a peak to keep water from pooling.

What I do is:

I bought a bunch of cheap, cheap, cheap, tether balls on eBay. The balls are only partially inflated and I push them about 1/3 of the way into the gap from each side of the slide. The ropes are ideal for taking them out before we run the slides in.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Nxkharra,
Try raising the rear or front jacks. This will make the coach slant so the water will run off. Re-level the coach and close the slides.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Nxkharra,
Try raising the rear or front jacks. This will make the coach slant so the water will run off. Re-level the coach and close the slides.
I figured this out by accident.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unless

The water is frozen! Loud noise that sounds like breaking glass. Wife running around yelling 'what did you break' (even though she's the one who sometimes puts things in the slide path). Neighbors all looking for the accident. Dogs barking. Kids screaming. Utter chaos......

If your toppers are anything like mine it would take a heck of an angle to get the water to run off. They just don't have enough 'pitch' and even when the fabric was brand new I got huge pools whenever it rained. I estimate I get about 2 gallons on both of my big slides, but not enough to worry about on the bedroom one. Seriously, the way FW installed them there is less than an inch drop all the way across the topper.

Another thing I've seen is putting a weighted rope lengthwise over the toppers so the water runs off sideways.

Next time I replace the fabric I'm going to use Sunbrella fabric. Water goes right through it. I hope my slide leaks will be fixed by then.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
People need to re-read the OP's post.

He's getting water BETWEEN the cover and slide roof. He want's to keep it out of the MH.

On ours' I'd only gotten water in once in 11 years. Guess the slide covers and wiper seals do their jobs.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
People need to re-read the OP's post.

He's getting water BETWEEN the cover and slide roof. He want's to keep it out of the MH.

On ours' I'd only gotten water in once in 11 years. Guess the slide covers and wiper seals do their jobs.
Here in not so sunny Florida with the sideways summer rains, I get wet on the slides below the awning toppers and tilting does work.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And it gets there?

And is there some magical way (sideways rain excluded) that it gets on the slide? It's probably going through the seams or maybe even through the fabric.

Keep it from pooling and the problem is solved.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #9

I agree, raise the front jacks enough so water will run off the roofs. It will not harm the frig to raise the front a few inches for 5-10 minutes while the water drains off. The slide wipers should remove any remaining after that.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
or ..When you first start to make slide come in, it will come up the ramp and tilt enough to drain water. So, run your slide in about %25 of the way and when most of the water has drained off , run it in another % 25 and let water drain off . Then another %25 ,let water drain off . Now you should be OK . Pull slide in rest of the way .. If you have a full wall slide this is not recommended. Check outside to make sure slide topper has retracted properly with no creases. If creased , extend slide and then retract again.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Check your owners manual. Mine warns of this problem and says to tip the coach left and then right (not necessarily in that order). I have found dropping the front jacks a bit does a good job but the water is dumped up front. I guess raising the front jacks is also a good idea. When I tried the left and right thing it took forever to drain all of the water. We have only had the coach a couple of months and rain issues are still new to us. But, in any case, you MUST tip the coach and re-level before you bring in the slides.

Happy trails!

Rick
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #12

Thank to all. I need to ask another question. I have only used leveling automatic where all the four corners come down or retract. How do i only do the front or back to drain all the water? Manual leveling?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm only familiar with my rig( and then just barely) but I do have a choice of d side, p side, front or rear or auto.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
The system I am familiar with is HWH. Each side has 2 buttons with arrows. Up lifts the coach. Down drops the coach. D - drivers side. P - passengers side. To lower the front a little for instance, press the Front down button momentarily. My rig requires the ignition key be in aux or start for the jacks to work.

If you want to lift the drivers side a bit just push the D up button and hold it long enough to get the results you want. All the buttons work this way.

No individual jack can be adjusted manually in this system. A proportioning valve sets the travel of the legs paired with the selected button operated.

I place 2' 4x4 pairs of blocks under each jack pad. I fitted each block with an eyebolt. I roped pairs together with a loop long enough to make retrieval easier when breaking camp.

I hope my instructions are usable. I just got up and what I am thinking may not be typed correctly!

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote