Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #15

I re-Dicor my vents, and any other areas that show cracking, etc every year. I used 4" eternabond on all the perimeter seams so I don't have to worry about that them. Has worked well for me. Don't use silicone!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #16

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snomas1 View Post
I re-Dicor my vents, and any other areas that show cracking, etc every year. I used 4" eternabond on all the perimeter seams so I don't have to worry about that them. Has worked well for me. Don't use silicone!!!

X2 Snomas1 comments. I re-Dicor as necessary annually, with the self-levelling product following the directions provided. Fills in any cracks, defects, etc, and blends in quite nicely. Very pleased with the results so far.
Sure hope that rain stops soon...

Old 10-20-2014, 06:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqvepy View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the advice so far. The vent is fully shut so when the rain finally stops, I'll be climbing up to see what needs to be done.

I see a recommendation for self leveling Dicor to reseal around the vent. Are there any products I should absolutely avoid?
Avoid using Silicone sealants!!! They do not adhere well in the long-term, residue is hard to remove, which must be accomplished before applying more, or any other sealant.
I have been well-satisfied using a spray-on product to seal cracks/leaks in present sealants. Rustoleum LeakSeal It is safe for EPDM, fiberglass, TPO, and many othe RV rook coverings.

I use the clear stuff. It sprays on in a thin opaque white coating , then drys to a clear rubber coating. It is thin enough to run into the smallest of cracks or holes. I carry a can in the MH all the time, just remember to invert the can and spray until clear gas emits after use, otherwise it will clog the spray nozzle.
This allows you to seal any found leaks, and gives you time to find an RV repair shop that uses a Seal-Tech system to locate any and all sources of water leaks. I highly recommend the Seal-Tech system to anyone with a water leak who desires to find and eliminate the source.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all the advice. There was a break in the weather and I went up and applied Dicor to all the seams in the vicinity of the leak. I restricted my range because the adjacent ceiling panels had no water coming out so I believe it is one of the roof penetrations over that segment. (I hope.) It will rain again tonight so I may get to test my repairs.

I am still getting water out of the foam and hopefully I get it all out before too much longer.
qqvepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Fingers crossed. Hopefully you Dicor'd it all and you'll have smooth sailing from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqvepy View Post
Thanks for all the advice. There was a break in the weather and I went up and applied Dicor to all the seams in the vicinity of the leak. I restricted my range because the adjacent ceiling panels had no water coming out so I believe it is one of the roof penetrations over that segment. (I hope.) It will rain again tonight so I may get to test my repairs.

I am still getting water out of the foam and hopefully I get it all out before too much longer.
2014 Polaris Scrambler XP 850
Bobby.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #20

John,
Sorry to hear about the leak. They so often can leave permanent staining. On the up side, better off in the bath than the living area.

On a previous coach I had a drip around the fantastic fan in the galley during a very heavy, windy rain. Long story short... after much searching I found two hairline cracks on the topside fan housing above the Dicor sealant level. The cracks were very difficult to see. I replaced the entire fan unit but I was never able to totally remove the ceiling stains.

In retrospect, I think the cracks may have occurred from walking too close to the fan which may have caused enough flex to cause the cracks. Who knows. But, now when on the roof, I try to stay a few feet away from any sealed penetration.

cheers, and best of luck with the repair.
Joopy
Old 10-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #21

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Water and Padded Ceiling

Glad the weather let up enough to Dicor the obvious offending areas! We all hope that corrects the current issue.
As soon as the weather settles some, it would be prudent to proactively inspect the entire roof and to Dicor any even slightly suspect areas. As you know, water flows in mysterious ways. :(
Old 10-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The weather was good this weekend and hit the mid-60s. Of course tomorrow it will drop into the 40s. I went up and redid all the seams right after I completed the grey water drain rebuild. Hopefully it stays dry inside. It is absolutely amazing how much water is in that foam. I would say gallons. I am still getting water out but at least it is not in the quantities I originally was getting out.

Full timing it is harder than I thought. I have had some sort of repair every weekend for the past 5 weeks. The dealer staff recognizes me now. It is almost like being Norm on Cheers. Too bad I am not rich enough to buy new, but then if I was, I would probably be groaning about the taxes instead
qqvepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:21 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Well,
Last night we found water dripping from our toilet room around the fantastic fan. After investigation, I found that it was coming from the shower skylight across the hallway. The skylight looked perfect from the roof, but when I took the inner trim dome down, I could see there were pretty large cracks from each of the 5 corners of this skylight. All 5 corners were cracked!! Crap.

The water was pooling on the roof around the base of the skylight, between the edge of the curved part and the sealant. This configuration created a trough that funneled water to the cracks. What a mess.

Today, we opened up all the access holes and have been working the water out of the foam in the ceiling by hand as much as possible. I ran the A/c's all day to pull as much moisture as I can, but it will take a lot more. I also have a small heater in the toilet room to help.

So I quickly ordered a 30qt. dehumidifier from Amazon Prime and paid express shipping to get it here by Monday. We are headed out Wed to Mesa then Quartzsite. Yikes, gotta get this done.

Also ordered a new skylight for Monday delivery. Guess what I will be doing the day before we head out. In the meantime, I patched the cracks with Eternabond tape and Dicor sealant in case it rains again before I can get it fixed right.

I presume we will need to run the dehumidifier pretty constantly for quite a while to suck all the moisture out. Even then, it might stay wet a long time and mildew. Not sure if there is a better technique for ridding the ceiling foam of the water???

Also, I noticed in a post above that someone mentioned Instagone. I have used it before to remove stains from the ceiling of our other coach. This stuff really works. It will make stained areas look like new. The only downside I saw was it does leave a lingering smell that is like Hydrogen Peroxide. Maybe that it is what it is. Anyway, I have some left over and used it today to take the stains off the ceiling and other stained parts. Worked good.

Learned something new on this one. I thought I had inspected the skylight real well before our rains. Now I know, you can't inspect one of these adequately unless you pull the trip dome down and inspect from the inside!!

Roy
Old 01-02-2015, 08:36 AM   #24

On our prior coach I had a couple areas of stained ceiling and used the spray Oxyclean stuff from the laundry isle in the grocery store. Spray it on, let it soak a few minutes, use a white cloth to soak up the liquid and redo as needed. It took me about 3-4 applications, but the ceiling came out great, no difference between the treated areas and the untreated areas and it leave a reasonably pleasant smell.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:22 AM   #25

When we had a leak in our padded ceiling, I used paper towels and chamois cloths to softly press out as much moisture as I could then we ran a dehumidifier. We seemed to catch it early and that left things unstained and odorless. Good luck
Old 01-04-2015, 07:29 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Zep's advanced oxy cleaner will get the stains out the first time. Trick to it though. You need to thoroughly soak the area with the cleaner let sit for a few minutes and then vacuum it out. No blotting or scrubbing.

Tags
padded ceiling, water