Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #1

Water dripping from front a/c unit

Hello all, We are on our maiden voyage in our new to us 02 HR endeavor DP, had coach all cked out before trip but as no trip goes perfect. We have had a new problem each day. Saturday the cold water supply line to water heater blew out. Thank god we heard it and shut water off and put new fitting on line all was good. Today's issue small amount of water dripping out of front a/c just below the blower motor squirrel cage. It was raining for a while, and we had a/c running all night no water drip all seem to happen when we shut unit down any input or help would be great.
Thanks Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab guy View Post
Hello all, We are on our maiden voyage in our new to us 02 HR endeavor DP, had coach all cked out before trip but as no trip goes perfect. We have had a new problem each day. Saturday the cold water supply line to water heater blew out. Thank god we heard it and shut water off and put new fitting on line all was good. Today's issue small amount of water dripping out of front a/c just below the blower motor squirrel cage. It was raining for a while, and we had a/c running all night no water drip all seem to happen when we shut unit down any input or help would be great.

Thanks Bill

As far as I know the water condensed by the unit is intentionally dropped on to the roof outside of the unit. Unless I misunderstand your post, this sounds like normal operation of the AC?

Old 05-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It could be a rain leak but I bet it's condensation. I'm not sure if your coach has a condensation drain line running from roof air down to ground. If so, it could be plugged. Remove the air filter in ceiling and see if you cam see plastic tubing.if so, you have the drains. If not, you may have to take the shroud off on the roof and see where the clog is occurring.

It's important to resolve the problem so you don't stain the ceiling.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:30 AM   #4

As stated above, many roof units discharge condensation on the roof. Some use a drain pipe system to divert water to drains underneath the rig. Sounds like yours is working ok--if very humid conditions, ambient air may have contracted still cold evaporator coil and condensed out some water. Think I would wait to see if it continues to drip water while operating.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Saab guy,

MN Traveler read your post as water leaking on roof. And I read it as leaking inside coach. Can you clarify please.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:20 AM   #6

Hi thanks for the replies water did not start to drip till after we shut a/c unit Down. I did see condensation draining yesterday from the roof over the side of coach, I thought it was condensation. Have not seen any leaks as far as rain goes since we have owned it last August, had roof cked by ALT rv service last month and they sealed front and rear caps said rest looked Good. I will go up on the roof as soon as it drys out
Bill
Old 05-29-2016, 10:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks Bill
Saab guy
While I suspect the drip is the result of condensation..(running a roof A/C on low in humid weather can cause that).

However I suggest you verify that the A/C mounting bolts, (aka: hold down bolts), are tightened to the proper torque.

I check mine yearly and often find they need to be re-tightened.

BTW the proper torque, (in INCH/pounds), will be found in the owner's manual for your air conditioner.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-29-2016, 11:32 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would think that most coaches, like mine, have a catch-pan with a flexible drain hose that lets the water drain underneath. You could find that hose and use a high-pressure air line to blow it out (from the bottom end).

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:48 AM   #9

That is normal for the AC's to drain off the roof, usually via the rain gutters if leveled correctly. If not totally leveled it may drip off in more places. We have found that when ours shut/cycle off there seems to be a little more water. If in any type of humidity you can get a pretty big pool of water on the ground on both sides of the front of the MH. The condensation has to go somewhere, much like you see it dripping under your car when you park.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
That is normal for the AC's to drain off the roof, usually via the rain gutters if leveled correctly. If not totally leveled it may drip off in more places. We have found that when ours shut/cycle off there seems to be a little more water. If in any type of humidity you can get a pretty big pool of water on the ground on both sides of the front of the MH. The condensation has to go somewhere, much like you see it dripping under your car when you park.
Not necessarily. I have drain tubes that direct the condensate water under the coach. If I have condensate dripping off the roof, I have an issue. I was trying to establish if OP has those drains.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Not necessarily. I have drain tubes that direct the condensate water under the coach. If I have condensate dripping off the roof, I have an issue. I was trying to establish if OP has those drains.
Ok, but this is not some emergency he needs to work on while on his trip. It is normal for any AC to drain off the condensation, they all do it, even the one in your house. Most of the newer MH's I've seen just let it drain off the roof, so it will not damage the roof as much as it is an inconvenience to where it drips. If he does have drain hoses that carry the water to the underneath of the MH he can unclog them when he gets home and not worry about it as it is a minor issue. Just my opinion.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Hi thanks for the replies water did not start to drip till after we shut a/c unit Down. I did see condensation draining yesterday from the roof over the side of coach, I thought it was condensation. Have not seen any leaks as far as rain goes since we have owned it last August, had roof cked by ALT rv service last month and they sealed front and rear caps said rest looked Good. I will go up on the roof as soon as it drys out

Bill

Saab guy: I still have not seen a clarification of whether you are describing water dripping INSIDE the coach (bad thing) or OUTSIDE on roof (probably normal or at least not so bad) can you clarify??
Old 05-29-2016, 07:19 PM   #13

MN Traveler I was having a small drip inside the coach coming from right below the blower motor. I believe its condensation because it's been raining here in Maine most of the day and no drips at all. We had been running the A/C most of last night and no drips it only showed up when we shut it down after running a/c on low fan cooling. I rechecked the hold down bolts to make sure they are tight and will Check roof top when it stops raining and drys up, but have had no water drips since this am. Thanks for all the help and see what tomorrow holds, been an interesting trip so far. Great shake down cruise and learning as much as we can.
Bill
Old 05-29-2016, 11:24 PM   #14

Saab guy - thank you for the clarification (I am actually from ME - enjoy your time there!!). Drips inside are a BAD THING). I do not know enough about the engineering of these roof units to be specific, but my guess is that there must be a trap that typically allows moisture from the inside condenser to drain to the outside ... And that trap is clogged ( at least partially). Does anyone on the forum know specifics? If it were me, I would remove the shroud on the roof, look for the drain hose for condensate, then start probing it (pipe cleaner, clothes hanger, whatever ... And see if I could clear it. I might be off base... Anyone else know specifics??

Where in Maine are you? (Pretty big state...&#128512

Tags
holiday rambler, water