Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #1

Water dripping from main AC vent in travel

The dripping was not bad but little wet spot on carpet bothers DW because if I drag a shoe accross the wet spot chances are I make one more dirty spot on carpet. Anyway, since it was very hot outside and we are running front coach AC I am thinking mabe condensation catch pan may have just being felled up fast, and couple with travel speed, wind, etc, we were getting a little return into vent.......make sense? Again, not bad and seemed to stop once we stopped moving. Bill

buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
The dripping was not bad but little wet spot on carpet bothers DW because if I drag a shoe accross the wet spot chances are I make one more dirty spot on carpet. Anyway, since it was very hot outside and we are running front coach AC I am thinking mabe condensation catch pan may have just being felled up fast, and couple with travel speed, wind, etc, we were getting a little return into vent.......make sense? Again, not bad and seemed to stop once we stopped moving. Bill
Should never leak in. Might have a clogged drain tube.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Here is what happened to one of my Dometic Duo-Therm roof units. The front A/C was dripping (very slow) down on the living room floor carpet. Only noticed it while parked. And, of course, the more humid of a day, the worse it was. I went up on the roof, removed the A/C cover and looked for a drain tube,etc. There basically isn't one on this A/C, but there is a clear dividing point between where there should be water condensation (to drain out on the roof), and where there should not be any (area that is right above the 14"X14" opening that leads to your ducting). You can see this area by removing your inside cover. There should be no water in this area. My problem was an easy fix. The tin separators that had been gooped to prevent water from going past them---yep---the goop had cracked and was not sealing due to age, heat, etc. A little white roof repair goop fixed it. Good silicon caulk should work also. Hasn't leaked since. Like jesilvas says, it could be just a clogged drain tube if you have one.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Should never leak in. Might have a clogged drain tube.
That would be my thought too.

By the way' how do you get away with wearing shoes in the coach?
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
That would be my thought too.

By the way' how do you get away with wearing shoes in the coach?
Not an easy trick....not what she wants for sure. b
Old 09-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radarman View Post
Here is what happened to one of my Dometic Duo-Therm roof units. The front A/C was dripping (very slow) down on the living room floor carpet. Only noticed it while parked. And, of course, the more humid of a day, the worse it was. I went up on the roof, removed the A/C cover and looked for a drain tube,etc. There basically isn't one on this A/C, but there is a clear dividing point between where there should be water condensation (to drain out on the roof), and where there should not be any (area that is right above the 14"X14" opening that leads to your ducting). You can see this area by removing your inside cover. There should be no water in this area. My problem was an easy fix. The tin separators that had been gooped to prevent water from going past them---yep---the goop had cracked and was not sealing due to age, heat, etc. A little white roof repair goop fixed it. Good silicon caulk should work also. Hasn't leaked since. Like jesilvas says, it could be just a clogged drain tube if you have one.
R,
This could very well be the problem on my Dometic. I need to remove my inside cover anyway as I am hearing somewhat of a flopping at times coming from inside. Suspect ducking is loose. It has happened before and deal fixed it but you know how dealer fixing can be.....duck tape. Is top cover hard to remove, will I see anything there or best just to check from inside?
Old 09-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your topic leaves a word or two to be desired.

IF you mean the Dash A/C on a motor home, clogged drain tube

If you mean a ROOF AC on a travel trtailer.. Many possible explanations.. Will list a few

1: Nose down, causing the water to run over the front of the tray
2 DIRTY FILTERS causing the blower to suck water out of the tray and drop it on the filters and from there the floor

3: Loose bolts and/or bad gasket between A/C and roof letting water seep back inside

4 Broken drip tray/passages in A/C
Old 09-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Your topic leaves a word or two to be desired.

IF you mean the Dash A/C on a motor home, clogged drain tube

If you mean a ROOF AC on a travel trtailer.. Many possible explanations.. Will list a few

1: Nose down, causing the water to run over the front of the tray
2 DIRTY FILTERS causing the blower to suck water out of the tray and drop it on the filters and from there the floor

3: Loose bolts and/or bad gasket between A/C and roof letting water seep back inside

4 Broken drip tray/passages in A/C
Roof AC on motor home that blows and intakes just between and behind driver and passenger chairs
Old 09-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We came home from a day out earlier this summer to find a puddle on the floor under the A/C air intakes. After some disassembly to get to it, I found the weep holes in the drip pan were plugged. One side with a dead bug, the other with simple dirt and who knows. I cleaned those out and also created some slightly larger ones, one on each side. No more water inside.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Forgot to mention tightening up the 4 roof opening (A/C mounting) nuts.--- If you pull off the roof cover (on the Dometic Duo-Therm there are 4 phillips-head screws that hold the cover on) and you find out that the water separation area is gooped up OK and your condensation drain system seems to be draining out OK (see previous post) then maybe the seal between your A/C and roof has deteriorated or just needs alittle tightening. Water on your roof just may be getting thru the roof opening seal. Use a home hose to put water all over the roof area near the A/C unit. If it starts dripping inside, then the 4 mounting nuts may just need a tightening or a new roof seal may be needed. You get to these 4 nuts from below and inside the coach. Take off the inside cover and find the 4 long bolts coming along side the 14"X14" opening. Do not overtighten these 4 nuts. Just snug. The seal may have to be replaced if you still have a drip. If it only drips while the A/C is running, then it is most likely the things mentioned in the previous post.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For a roof air while travelilng.. If you have to make a hard stop (Stand on the brakes) water can slosh over the front lip on the pan onto the filters and drip down.. No way to stop it save shut the air off.

That said.. Never had that problem myself, even when running the air cuase it was ... Needed.

Tags
travel, vent, water