RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Water Fill & Levels & Whats That?

Several times when I have filled my fresh water tank (this is my first long trip after acquiring this coach) when the tank is full the water of course spills on the ground from what I presume is an overflow valve. The overflow seems to run off for quite a while.

Twice after filling the overflow has run longer than I thought it should (yes, the water is off to the tank) and we have started driving, I check the level and it shows 1/3 or 2/3 of the tank (1 each of those). Twice after filling, each time after the previous problem, the overflow runs shorter and then after driving a while, the fresh tank says full as was expected.

Thoughts?

Also, in my water closet, there is a valve on a vertical plastic tube to the left of the water fill point and behind the water panel face. What is it? It is not the fresh water drain as that is in another closet next to the water pump. It is not the hot water heater bypass as that valve is next to the water pump also. I am at a loss of what this is?

zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I know of no overflow. When you're filling your tank your hooked up to a city water connection, which is designed to be left on while on site, allowing your fresh tank to stay full while you use as much water if you like. If there were some kind of overflow, it seems that would leak all the time while connected. Sounds like a leak possibly.

Nominefili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:10 PM   #3

your overflow tube probably needs a siphon break
mine would empty 1/4 tank
find the top of the overflow tube an puncture a hole in it above the tank
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nominefili View Post
I know of no overflow. When you're filling your tank your hooked up to a city water connection, which is designed to be left on while on site, allowing your fresh tank to stay full while you use as much water if you like. If there were some kind of overflow, it seems that would leak all the time while connected. Sounds like a leak possibly.
Whaaaaat???
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Whaaaaat???
Exactly. Someone's not understanding the question or they don't understand how their system works.

OP, I had the same thing happen this weekend. I filled in the driveway which is on a slant. Then I pulled the MH down to the street to hookup the toad. My overflow started to drain but it went on for a long time. Thought it was kind of weird but we have only owned the MH for 3 months. Didn't check the level. We are camping still now and have run out of water. There is no way we have used 80 gallons of water. I too believe that there is a siphoning action going on. I am going to mess around with it more when we get home tomorrow.

If you figure anything out, please reply back on this thread with your findings and I will do the same.
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:39 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I will. The siphon idea makes sense because I have had the problem 50% of the time. Other times worked. I have been changing elevation pretty significantly over the days this has occurred which may have made it worse.
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:43 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After my overflow begins, and I turn off the fill valve, it continues for just a minute or two. Then stops. Thus is normal.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:19 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When filling, once my overflow starts I close the fill valve, close the city water, turn on my pump and draw from the tank for about five seconds. Everything stops and I go back to normal configuration.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:25 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by funmoneypit View Post
Exactly. Someone's not understanding the question or they don't understand how their system works.
Understood the question as I can read, lol. However, I stand corrected. Had no idea there was an overflow tube. Haven't ever had it do what's described either. Gtk
Old 10-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #10

I guess i've been doing it wrong all these many years. When filling ours, i simply watch the tank and turn off the water before it reaches the top. Never had an overflow or siphoning action take place.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:06 AM   #11

Some overflows actually stick down in the top of the tank a bit to help avoid sloshing out the overfill when moving around (Like up a hill). The way everything is vented can allow a siphon to start all the way to the bottom of the overflow pipe, but unless that pipe goes well down into the tank it should not be a real problem.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:05 AM   #12

Before I added a vacuum break, I could loose 5-6 gallons from siphoning.
rayellio77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I guess i've been doing it wrong all these many years. When filling ours, i simply watch the tank and turn off the water before it reaches the top. Never had an overflow or siphoning action take place.
I'm right there with ya bud lol.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Quote:
I'm right there with ya bud lol.
You both are lucky that you can actually see your tank. I can't.

funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water