Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2015, 10:01 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Water fill up sites

Hi so probably a dumb question but what do most people do about water fill ups when on the road. I know there are apps for dump stations and I assume (we all not what assume does) that you could fill up there, but I remember seeing something a few months back when I first started reading these forums about using local town water company sites. Thought I had booked marked it but apperantly not.

As always thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do not fill up at dump stations. Usually they are marked as non potable. Chance of contamination. Find a campground to fill up at a site or a municipal water connection.

2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:20 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I filled my fresh water tank at my storage lot. I can also dump my tanks there as well. I store mine at the shop I work at.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:32 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Why not just spend a night in a RV park or camp ground with hookups and fill the tank before you leave.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:34 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
If water is needed enroute, we top up at the RV park we happen to be at, seldom travel with a full fresh water tank. We buy water in gallon jugs at the store for coffee and drinking and use the on board water for cleanup, showers, dishwashing and flushing.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A lot of WA state rest areas have dump stations and potable water stations.
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:41 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I never travel with a full potable water tank. At just over 8 pounds per gallon it adds unnecessary weight to the coach. We carry bottled water for drinking and cooking and use the water tank for dishwashing, laundry, showers and flushing. On the road I carry enough to flush with. We empty our black and gray water tanks at the RV park before departing and load maybe a half tank of potable water. Most rest stops will indicate whether or not the fresh water is fit for human consumption. I don't chance it myself.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:36 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
I never travel with a full potable water tank. At just over 8 pounds per gallon it adds unnecessary weight to the coach. We carry bottled water for drinking and cooking and use the water tank for dishwashing, laundry, showers and flushing. On the road I carry enough to flush with. We empty our black and gray water tanks at the RV park before departing and load maybe a half tank of potable water. Most rest stops will indicate whether or not the fresh water is fit for human consumption. I don't chance it myself.

This is also the way "we roll in the Shire!"😌

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:55 AM   #9

I always fill up at home before I leave as I would rather use the water out of my own well. I don' see the point of half filling my water tank and then buying jugs and bottles to lug around. I just make certain I sanitize my tank on a regular basis.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #10

Carolina Campers
Water fill up sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by nij_tp View Post
... what do most people do about water fill ups when on the road. I know there are apps for dump stations and I assume ... that you could fill up there...

To answer your question, all you need is a regular water supply and a hose to connect from the water supply to the coach water input. There are apps for this. One would be Allstays Camp & RV. It will tell you what facilities are available at the next stop.

If I am not going for a long trip, I don't usually fill up the tanks.

If I am heading across the country I will fill my fresh water tank. That is why I have the fresh water tanks onboard. I have water for flushing, for washing the dishes, for cleaning, for doing the laundry, for whatever I need.

It all depends on the type of traveling I am doing and if I will be doing any dry camping along the way. Many places I stay the night don't have a water supply, so when one is available I will take the opportunity to fill the tank.

Having a full tank is only extra weight if you don't need it. It is not uncommon for me to travel several thousands of miles in one trip. I have dry camped several days before getting to another water supply.

Just keep in mind that what is a waste for one person may be a necessity for the next. It is nice to have options.

Ted
Old 07-12-2015, 09:06 AM   #11

I prefer (filling) the fresh water tank prior to leaving home. This keeps me from searching for fresh water during the trip.

This also assures I have known potable water in my tank that if needed, can be consumed. We use the campsite water once hooked up but, because of an incident where we picked up and stored water from a campsite, I never fill our tank from any other source but home unless I'm sure we'll be using that water up completely prior to putting the coach back in storeage.

The folks that keep the bare minimum during travel should never run into a bad water issue, or at least if they do it won't be a big problem to rinse and refresh their tanks.

If for some reason I really find the need to top off away from home, I'll add approximately 4 OZ of chlorine to the fresh water tank along with that load of water. It's cheap insurance that we won't contaminate our ice maker.

Lastly, I use a charcoal filter on our water hose and filter all water that is used on our coach. Thats also cheap insurance that we may not pick up water that taste and smells bad. If you've ever camped in a place like the state parks of West Virginia, you will understand the need for some type of filter.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
@Ted thanks for that info. I wasn't very clear on my situation and you talked directly to it. We are driving from NH to Niagara and then IL and then along rte66 to CA And then to CO then north to MT before heading back East. So filling on the move is what I was looking for. We will be staying at occasion CG but nothing in stone as we don't know exactly where we will be and when. Do people have a filter on their fill hose so water is filtered going into the tank, does it slow down the fill process
Old 07-12-2015, 10:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Do not fill up at dump stations. Usually they are marked as non potable. Chance of contamination. Find a campground to fill up at a site or a municipal water connection.
I've always wondered if they put those signs there to scare people from filling their tanks with their water. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure water regulations state that all water from any tap has to pass all EPA regulations and be clean enough to drink. Having said that we never drink water from our coach, just use it for bathing and washing dishes and always fill up before leaving home.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:52 AM   #14

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nij_tp View Post
... Do people have a filter on their fill hose so water is filtered going into the tank, does it slow down the fill process
I do have a full house water filter on my coach. I would not be without one, and even use one at my home. Removing impurities from your water source is far more important to me that if it may add a couple of minutes to the fill process. Frankly it does not seem to impair the fill process significantly, but possible a very small amount.

If your coach did not come with one, you can buy a portable one that you hook the hose to and then connect to the coach.

Ted

Tags
water