Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #1

Water Filters and Water Flow

In my MH I have an inline water filter in a storage bay that has two large screw on canisters that I put the filters in. I needed new filters so I went to Home Depot and all they stock is GE filters at a real high price and not a very good selection. There is not much information as to what are the applications for these GE filters and it was very confusing. After doing a little research I discovered that these all are considered individual faucet drinking water filters which means they are NOT whole house filters. What this means is that they are 0.5 micron filters or smaller. If you use these 0.5 micron filters in a MH as your main filters for all the water you are going to have greatly reduced water flow and you are going to think your water system has a problem. Also, as time goes by these filters are going to block up faster and reduce the flow even more. I then went to Lowes and they actually had a bigger selection of filters and specified if the filter was a whole house filter or a dedicated faucet drinking water filter and the microns was written on the labels of the filters. You can then get a real correlation to microns and usage. Again the dedicated single faucet drinking supply filter was listed as a 0.5 micron filter and the main water or whole house filter was a 5 micron filter. There was also a sediment filter for filtering sand and rust and these were 30 micron filters. Since Camping World sells the Culligan D-15 filters I called Culligan’s 800 number and talked to them. They confirmed what I had figured out. An ideal system for my MH would be an outside filter by the faucet to remove sand and large stuff with a 30 micron filter (usually is white and looks like it is made of string) and then use the two 5 micron charcoal filters in the screw on canisters for the whole MH filtering. If you have a dedicated drinking water faucet with a filter then that would use the 0.5 micron charcoal filter. Just remember if you use a 0.5 micron filter for all the water flow in the motorhome you are going to have greatly reduced flow. You may think your pump is bad or a line is kinked or some other problem.

Whole house or main filters that use 5 micron charcoal filters are NOT designed to remove lead, arsenic, asbestos or other things like microbes. A 5 micron filter is designed to remove rust particles, sediment and help improve the taste of the water by removing chlorine. If the filter says that it reduces or removes lead, asbestos, arsenic and microbes then it is a 0.5 micron filter for a dedicated drinking water faucet and should not be used as a main filter for all the water in the MH.

I hope this clears it up for people because I was really confused. So check your MICRONS
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #2

Mike,

After many years of fighting with filters and dealing with bad tasting water, I decided to install an RO system. I hookup to the water supply and run all my incoming water thru the RO system into my fresh water holding tank. All the water I use then comes from my holding tank. Shower enclosure stays spotless, dishes look better, drinking water is like drinking bottled water and lines and valves stay crud free.

A good RO system will cost you about $500. That includes a high pressure pump that results in less waste water. That old wive's tale about using 4 or 5 gallons for 1 gallon of good water is no longer valid.

Might be something for you to consider.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Great info Mike. I recently learned the same lesson the hard way but finally figured it out. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/bad-...ter-80326.html

Thanks

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #4

Jim, what is an RO filter?

Glad it worked out for you Rick
Old 12-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #5

RO stands for reverse osmosis. Readily available at Lowes, Home Depot, Sears and others. My advice is get a system with 5 filters. 3 before then the RO membrane followed by a final module. And very important is a high pressure pump which greatly reduces waste water.

Jim E
Old 12-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #6

I have one of those installed in my home for a special drinking water faucet and the fridge. I would think that is a litttle extreme for all the water to go through one. Yes, it would be nice.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Let me say first off that I have never purchased anything from this site and have no connection whatsoever with them, but they seem to have some interesting reading available there.

The RV Water Filter Store
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #8

sfischer,

Thats a good web site. I have not seen it before. If you go there, be sure and look at the Reverse Osmosis write up.

Mike Canter,

Believe me, it is not extreme. A whole house RO system, installed in an RV, may cost a little more but the benefits are well worth it. It is essential that you include a high pressure booster pump to increase the efficiency of the system.

Jim E
Old 12-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #9

Steve, thanks for that RV filter site. Just talked to Richard who is the owner. A very knowledgable guy on filters. His filters flow a lot more than what you buy at Camping World or at Lowes. The big thing is that you can read the data and know what you are buying instead of making a wild guess. I just bought filters for my RV and my RO at home from him.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #10

I purschased my RO system from the Filter Store and did the install myself very easy and took less than an hour. I use all RO water in the coach. The benefits are great tasting water, no cloudy ice, no dripping faucets, no deposits in the dish washer or washer drier and better showers.

I had a long talk with Rick, the owner, before I bought. He was extremely helpful and great to work with. For example I ordered an DC pump and they sent an AC pump. When I asked Rick where the transformer was, we determined I had gotten the wrong one. He immediately sent the right pump and I returened the wrong one and he credited the shipping cost to my credit card.

I only use one sediment filter with a small micron filter rather than 2 or 3. Have had it for 2 years and couldn't be happier.

Still using the original RO unit and will have the water tested this winter in Yuma where they have a winter store at the swap meet.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
Great info. My filter is for a drinking water faucet at the kitchen sink, that's it so far. I'm curious, how often do you folks change filters and how do you know when it should be done?
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Probably a silly question but is it safe to assume that RO water is "soft"?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #13

Steekheadbluesman that depends on the filter and how much you are using it. Most of the filters you buy last about 3-4 months and the longevity is written on the label of the filter. The sediment filter I just bought from RV Water Filter Store is washable and reusable and the charcoal filter ilasts six to 12 months.

Maybe some of these FAQs can help answer your question
RV Water Filter Store: Frequently Asked Questions
Old 12-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #14

Allynne,

You can buy an electronic device, about $30 if I remember correctly, that connects across the RO membrane and will indicate the TDS of input and output.

Jim E