Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #1

Water fuel separator

How often do you crack open the water fuel separator on your diesel engine? I have checked mine a couple times and it never seems to have any water in it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #2

Depends on the situation, usually before and after a long trip , 5/6 tanks of fuel, and at oil changes. But if there is any kind of performance issue , that's the first thing I do, catch every thing I drain out in a clean container , if anything but water is apparent , time for a filter change.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi greatlakes,
The short answer is never. Mine has a monitor feature that will alert me to drain separator. Also, it is changed once a year.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Rob,
Have to agree with above. You should make it a habit of changing all your fuel/oil filters every year. As long as your coach has a fuel/water monitor you should be good. If you don't have a monitor the safest thing would be to drain it once a month. You don't need to take much out if no water is present, maybe a quart or so. Don't forget that we (RV'ers) don't use our equipment for what it was designed for. Diesels like to run and most of our engines only get a fraction of the miles that the same plant in a truck would get. So don't go by miles, but by time when figuring when to replace fluids and filters.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #5

Yes I do have a water monitor light on the dash and change the filter every year. I cracked open the drain twice so far and got nothing but fuel. So just wasn't sure how often I should expect too see any water. Seems like some guys here do it religiously.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #6

Interesting as my certified cummins tech center says NOT to change the water sep filter unless I encountered a water problem which caused a need to be drained. If that does not occur then change it on a two year interval.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I must be sitting on a lucky charm. I went about 5 years on my fuel filters. I check the water separator from time to time and drain a small amount into a can. I have never had water in the can. It would show as bubbles or beads under the fuel. I have seen this with the generators I used to maintain.

Getting fuel at active and reputable stations helps to prevent contamination. I also use about 1 oz of cheap 2 cycle motor oil per gallon of fuel. This helps lub the fuel train internal parts. I have done this for several years and have seen cooler running in the mountains and a bit better fuel milage and power. I'm certain many will disagree with this practice for a variety of reasons.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have two W/S's. The secondary has a clear bowl to see the water. I've never had any. I see no value in extending filter life beyond a year. The cost of a single water eroded injector would keep you in filters for the rest of your life, not to mention a water eroded injector pump.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #9

I wont dissagree with that practice Rick, At a Cummins dealership I was told that many freight companies will run 5 or 10 gallons of hi octane GAS in a full tank of fuel at least every 6 mths.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I wont dissagree with that practice Rick, At a Cummins dealership I was told that many freight companies will run 5 or 10 gallons of hi octane GAS in a full tank of fuel at least every 6 mths.
Something's not right about that info you received from a cummins "dealership". Can't imagine putting any gasoline in a Diesel engine fuel tank. What "dealership" told you that?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #11

I am with the last guy...I drove truck 21 years, I personally never put gas in the fuel tanks for any reason, we did on occasion put tranny fluid in to clean injectors...now before I get jumped on here, we did that before the computer driven engines came out.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #12

I can understand the 2 cycle oil to lube moving parts within the fuel system. Not sure what the purpose of adding gas would be. Other than the construction company I drove truck for would occasional throw a few gallons of gas into the tank also. But I figured they did it to empty the holding tank quicker to prevent stale gas. They always said it was to give the trucks a little boost in power which it did but never ran more than about 5 or 10 gal mixed in a 55 gal tank.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I have heard of putting gas in diesel but the owners manual for my cummins says that is a no no. I just don't see the value of blowing a hole in a piston because the cetane rating. Besides, what does this all have to do with water separators??

On my first coach I had a 3 fuel filters: water separator, pre-filter and fuel filter. The coach had been in some cold climates and I changed them all. It was an older rig with many miles when I got it.

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote