Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Water going into fresh water tank

Has anyone had a problem with water going into fresh water tank when the filler valve in closed? I am hocked up to outside water and it seems to be leaking into my fresh water tank, had a repair man out here today to replace the filler valve and it's still filling up my tank. Please help
spank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 09:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by spank View Post
Has anyone had a problem with water going into fresh water tank when the filler valve in closed? I am hocked up to outside water and it seems to be leaking into my fresh water tank, had a repair man out here today to replace the filler valve and it's still filling up my tank. Please help
I'm having an intermittent fresh water valve leak that can fill my tank up. I will need to replace my valve in the near future. I would have thought a replacement valve would solve your problem unless it was faulty. I would think the repairman's work is warranted so I would go back to them to figure it out.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:57 AM   #3

Backflow through the pump?
Old 04-11-2015, 05:14 AM   #4

My City water hook-up was filling my fresh tank. I"m not sure why, I don't see anything in the water bay that I can shut that off with. I do need to figure it out this spring
Old 04-11-2015, 05:59 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The check valve in the water pump is failing. On mine I put a separate check valve in the line from the pump.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:00 AM   #6

All of the RV's I have experience with seems to use this basic water layout. The one shown below is one I drew for a 97 Fleetwood Discovery. As you can see, there are two ways water can enter the water tank. One is through the city/tank fill valve and the other way is through the water pump if the one way valve becomes defective.

So if you have changed the city/tank valve I would look to the water pump one way valve. Could be a small speck of dirt keeping the valve from working properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Diagram.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	91113  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:31 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
There are three ways to fix this: 1) rebuild the pump; 2) replace the pump; or 3) add a check valve or shut off valve between the pump and the water tank.

You can also help prevent this by never turning on the water pump when connected to city water. If you find this happening while on a trip, you can sometimes fix the problem by turn off the city water and pump and opening a faucet to depressurize the system. Making sure the pump is still off, slowly open the city water valve and repressurize.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spank View Post
I had the same issue. In my case it was the city water/tank fill valve. It was not closing completely and this was causing water to seep into the onboard fresh water tank when I was hooked up to city water.

Good luck!
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:07 AM   #9

Normally, you can usually check if it is the pump allowing back feeding.

Turn off city water, turn on pump (with water in the tank of course) and make sure pump is supplying water to the MH by turning on hot and cold faucets.
Turn off faucets. Pump should stop within a few seconds.

Pump should remain off.

If pump is cycling on for a second or so and then off for a lot longer, then it is possible there is back flow back through the pump.

Trouble is, if the tank fill valve is leaking (despite being a new one), this will give exactly the same symptoms, but if you are certain the new fill valve is good, then this test should confirm the condition of the pump.

If the pump problem is due to debris caught under a valve seat, then running the pump with town water disconnected and cycling the pump using the faucets turned on and off rapidly and fully, may flush the debris out

To check the pump fully is still fairly simple. With pump off and town water connected, disconnect the hose on the suction side of the pump and see if water continues to flow back out of the pump inlet port. If it does, then the pump is the problem
Old 04-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
To check the pump fully is still fairly simple. With pump off and town water connected, disconnect the hose on the suction side of the pump and see if water continues to flow back out of the pump inlet port. If it does, then the pump is the problem
Before doing this, make sure to close the valve from the fresh water tank that supplies the pump. And instead of removing the suction side hose, many pumps have a strainer screen with a clear cap -- removing this will accomplish the same thing.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Make sure the fill selector valve is ALL THE WAY to its stop, don't just use the decal stop position line...go past it till you feel it stopped.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
I had the same issue. In my case it was the city water/tank fill valve. It was not closing completely and this was causing water to seep into the onboard fresh water tank when I was hooked up to city water.

Good luck!
Same hear. Actually had two defective by pass valves. The tiniest leak will bleed into your FWT.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:01 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post

Good luck!
That was my problem, too. The selector valve apparently picked up a little piece of grit that prevented it from closing completely. I worked the valve full cycle 15-20 times and that seems to have cleared the obstruction, because the problem has not reoccurred in several months.

Cheers,

Tags
fresh water, tank, water