Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Water heater

They say there are no stupid questions, yet this one might be
As I sit here having morning coffee and thinking about how soon I will, sadly, be winterizing my MH I am browsing the posts about winterizing and it occurs to me, since my water heater on this rig is propane only, no electric, does it have an anode in the tank? Have never looked, but remember changing the one in all prior TT's as they were both propane and electric.

So....whats the verdict yes, no......or just dumb question?

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure what manuf you have for water heater. I have read some HW tanks do not require anodes. I know my Atwood has one. Not sure if it was installed by previous owner.

When I winterize I will remove it to drain the tank and inspect it.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Atwood will have plastic drain plug and no anode rod. Suburban has the metal drain plug with the anode rod attached to it.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
They say there are no stupid questions, yet this one might be
As I sit here having morning coffee and thinking about how soon I will, sadly, be winterizing my MH I am browsing the posts about winterizing and it occurs to me, since my water heater on this rig is propane only, no electric, does it have an anode in the tank? Have never looked, but remember changing the one in all prior TT's as they were both propane and electric.
So....whats the verdict yes, no......or just dumb question?
trode
Some makes of RV water heaters, whether "propane only" or "gas & electric", (notably those made by Atwood with aluminum tanks), have no anode rod.

Some, like my 10 gal "propane only" Suburban with a "steel glass lined tank", do..... (as do Suburban "gas & electric" water heaters).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmiller32 View Post
Atwood will have plastic drain plug and no anode rod. Suburban has the metal drain plug with the anode rod attached to it.
Well I know for sure that mine has, and always has had, one of those plastic drain plugs, so I guess that is the answer. As usual, thanks all
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpgb View Post
Not sure what manuf you have for water heater. I have read some HW tanks do not require anodes. I know my Atwood has one. Not sure if it was installed by previous owner.

When I winterize I will remove it to drain the tank and inspect it.
golfpgb
I'm not positive but I believe Atwood strongly recommends against adding an anode rod in their aluminum tank water heaters.
I suggest you verify if you actually need an anode in your particular make model of WH.....(it may do more harm than good).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #7

My Atwood doesn't have one. They say since it's an aluminum tank it doesn't need one since aluminum doesn't rust. Some tanks are galvanized steel and will rust without an anode rod.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #8

The anode rod has nothing to do with rust, it is there to be eaten up by stray electric currant. Also have been a boater for most of my adult life and anode replacement is yearly on them.

jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater