Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2017, 08:26 AM   #1

Water Heater Anode

good morning,

I wanted to remove the anode in my water heater for the winter. I got to the back of my Suburban brand water heater and found that the anode rod is not lined up with the hole to remove it. It is almost as if the inside of the water heater has turned some how. I could likely take a snips and make the hole a bit bigger to remove the anode.

Is this worth it, or should I just leave it?
4running is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The rod should be on the face of the WH below the pressure relief valve.
You would check it every time you winterized your coach. If you see just a wire rod you need a new one.

SUBURBAN WATER HEATER ---- TECH INFORMATION
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:39 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Interesting. I cannot see what make of RV. Possibly you can provide that info for others who may have the same unit.

That said, typically water heater anodes are accessed from outside, behind the cover where the anode, electric element, and gas line/burner is located. This is on most Suburban models. Possibly you have an different model.... It is a 1 1/16 inch socket on most of my previous units with a 6 or 10 "gallon" LP/electric water heater.

I always removed the anode to drain the water heater for the winter - after bypassing the unit.

Found this picture:

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8024457_rv_motorhome_water_heater.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	182038  
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Interesting. I cannot see what make of RV. Possibly you can provide that info for others who may have the same unit.

That said, typically water heater anodes are accessed from outside, behind the cover where the anode, electric element, and gas line/burner is located. This is on most Suburban models. Possibly you have an different model.... It is a 1 1/16 inch socket on most of my previous units with a 6 or 10 "gallon" LP/electric water heater.

I always removed the anode to drain the water heater for the winter - after bypassing the unit.

Found this picture:

Brian
Hi guys!

Thanks for the help. On my water heater what you have labeled as the anode is actually the drain petcock on mine. I have a 1991 Monaco Bus. In the owners manual for the water heater, it does verify that the anode is on the back of the unit, it is also labeled "anode" on the back side. If I snip some of the sheet metal I should be able to get to the anode and remove it.

How did the water heater get turned inside the housing like that? Maybe I shouldn't ask
Old 11-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Ok - did not know Suburban put anode rods in the back... Learn something new every day.

I do not see a problem cutting the tin shrouding around the anode hole. I would not think it is load bearing or anything like that.... .

As for the tank turning - it is simply a tank inside a insulated housing - I would think the other taps off the back would also have moved the same amount - water in and out?

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Ok - did not know Suburban put anode rods in the back... Learn something new every day.

I do not see a problem cutting the tin shrouding around the anode hole. I would not think it is load bearing or anything like that.... .

As for the tank turning - it is simply a tank inside a insulated housing - I would think the other taps off the back would also have moved the same amount - water in and out?

Brian
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, yeah it appears that the whole tank has turned inside the housing. Ill trim the housing and pull the anode. I will also try to post the model number so others will know to look in the back of their water heater for certain Suburban models.

Thanks Guys!
Old 11-05-2017, 10:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
From what I was told the newer ones do not have an anode rod anymore. The fifth wheel i just bought used has a new tank in it and when I drained it I realized there is no rod in there . I asked a parts guy and he said they do not have them anymore.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
From what I was told the newer ones do not have an anode rod anymore. The fifth wheel i just bought used has a new tank in it and when I drained it I realized there is no rod in there . I asked a parts guy and he said they do not have them anymore.
You most likely have an Atwood heater that does not use an Anode. Suburban has always and still does use an Anode.
Your parts guy is not well informed.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:13 PM   #9

BTW...do yourself and us a favor by putting your MH and Toad information into your signature
This will really help in all your future posts, so you won't have to type it in each time.
You do this by:
1) Going to the top of this page and click the top left tab named “User CP”
2) Look at the menu on the left and scroll down to “Settings & Options” and click “Edit Signature”
3) In that text box type all the information about your MH, Year, model, length, mileage, any aftermarket extras installed, your toad and so on. You’ll be limited to 3 lines unless you become a IRV2 supporter.
Consider signing up and becoming a IRV2 supporter. It’s a small way to give back to what we all reap here.

You may also want to watch these 2 video's. They may be helpful in your situation:

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Untill he says what coach he has we are just chasing our tails, he has beach listed for his MH.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater