Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #1

Question Water heater issue 2002 Itasca horizon 39QP

I have A 2002 Itasca Horizon 39QD Cat 5 diesel pusher.
I'm having a issue with my gas / elect water heater making hot water when driving down the road, with both gas and electric water heater switches turned "off" when pull into a campground/RV site we have hot water. if we are in the camp connected to 50 amp service with the electric or gas water heater switches turned off we do not get hot water. The Only thing I can think of causing this could be something to do with the inverter running when driving and powering the water heater on?????
Is this normal??? anyone heard of this?????
Thanks Bruce Dixon

bruce Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #2

Bruce,

I have a 2004 Meridian with a engine assist water heater. It is working correctly. There is a heater hose wrapped around your water heater fed by engine cooling system that heats the water.

I love it as we have instant hot water when we arrive at a destination.

LPD218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:52 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce Dixon View Post
I have A 2002 Itasca Horizon 39QD Cat 5 diesel pusher.
I'm having a issue with my gas / elect water heater making hot water when driving down the road, with both gas and electric water heater switches turned "off" when pull into a campground/RV site we have hot water. if we are in the camp connected to 50 amp service with the electric or gas water heater switches turned off we do not get hot water. The Only thing I can think of causing this could be something to do with the inverter running when driving and powering the water heater on?????
Is this normal??? anyone heard of this?????
Thanks Bruce Dixon
That's normal, and an option I no longer have since I sold my Winnie.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:00 PM   #4

I think they call it motoraid or something like that. Uses engine heat to warm your water heater. It's a nice feature and yours is working as designed. I think there usually is a way to turn it off but no real reason to do so as it does not use the actual heating elements on the water heater.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:48 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2005 Itasca Horizon 40ft, we also have the motoraid (also not sure that is the correct name of the unit Winnebago uses), sure is nice to have hot water when you arrive at your destination. Just make sure you turn on your water heater switch (gas or electric) when you set up or as you found out you will not have hot water after an hour or so
Old 04-17-2015, 11:45 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalkerpa1 View Post
I think there usually is a way to turn it off but no real reason to do so as it does not use the actual heating elements on the water heater.
Yes, no real reason -- it is just using waste heat from the engine, which if it didn't go into heating the water, it would just be blown out the engine radiator.

I would think that it's also not a problem even if the tank is empty: normally, you don't want to turn on the propane or electric heat if the tank is empty, because they will overheat and damage the tank. However, the hot water from the engine is not nearly as hot as the other sources, and I would think it won't cause any issues, even to an empty tank. (If someone with the system knows otherwise, please correct me.)
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:21 PM   #7

thank you to all of you. I thought I was going crazy, couldn't figure it out to save my XXXX . Also have a switch above my control panel next to the electric water heater labeled engine heater I assume that is for keeping the engine warm during real cold weather.
Again thank you for all your help and input it is greatly appreciated.
in Welfare texas today on my trip to 4 corners after Houston what a nasty storm today thunder lighting rain flooding yuk

bruce Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, itasca, water, water heater