RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Water heater keeps going off

I have a 1998 Winnebago Brave with a 6 gal, gas only water heater. When I turn on the switch inside the coach it fires up pretty good. But after about 5 or 10 minutes it goes out and the pl light comes on inside the coach indicating a lock out. I've checked the burner tube and chamber for blockage and found none. I've adjusted the flame to approx. 1/4 open and I can barely hear it from 6 to 7 feet away. I've replaced the thermal cutoff service kit (sensors) and the ECO thermostat service kit so far but it keeps going off. It stays on long enough to have hot water. When operating properly, should it turn off at set temperature? When it turns itself off should the pl light turn on at the switch? If so, maybe I don't have a problem. FYI my furnace, kitchen stove and refridge seem to work fine on propane.

dennwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You didn't identify make and model of water heater, so you'll have to search online yourself for a service and troubleshooting guide yourself to narrow down the problem. Yes, the water heater should turn off the burner when a preset high temperature is reached, then turn on again when it drops below the low temperature. A service manual will help you trace the problem down, I suspect a bad connection or sensor.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Water heater keeps going off

Sorry for forgetting that info. It is an Atwood, model no. GH6-8E. I bought the motor home last year, stayed in last winter in Florida and have never experienced normal operation of the water heater. This morning I turned it on and it lasted 10 min. before the lock out light came on and it went out. The only sensors that I am aware of are the ECO thermostat service kit and I just replaced them 2 days ago. I also have searched the web for help.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:57 PM   #4

I had the same type issue awhile back with my unit (10 gal gas or elect) chased it down for a week or so. I removed all the plugs/connectors cleaned them and then coated them with "electric" grease I got at walmart in the bulb section. I think it's called dielectric but not sure. Anyway that solved my issue. Hope this helps you out.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:57 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As mentioned clean the connectors on the board. This is such a common mode of failure that my water heater even has a sticker on the inside saying to do this as the first diagnostic.

Turn off the power, unplug and plug the connectors in four or five times. That should clean the contacts well enough.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennwhite View Post
I have a 1998 Winnebago Brave with a 6 gal, gas only water heater. When I turn on the switch inside the coach it fires up pretty good. But after about 5 or 10 minutes it goes out and the pl light comes on inside the coach indicating a lock out. I've checked the burner tube and chamber for blockage and found none. I've adjusted the flame to approx. 1/4 open and I can barely hear it from 6 to 7 feet away. I've replaced the thermal cutoff service kit (sensors) and the ECO thermostat service kit so far but it keeps going off. It stays on long enough to have hot water. When operating properly, should it turn off at set temperature? When it turns itself off should the pl light turn on at the switch? If so, maybe I don't have a problem. FYI my furnace, kitchen stove and refridge seem to work fine on propane.

Make sure your Bypass Valve is not in the Bypass mode. That would prevent fresh water from entering the Hot Water tank, and the Flame would shut itself off from overheating.
walkerkb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #7

I have the same problem on gas only. Haven't tracked it down yet. It flames and heats, thought maybe it was an overheat condition but last time I tried it it barely got warm and locked the water heater out.

Thanks for the info, will certainly start on the connectors and work up from there. Haven't been too concerned since we usually use electric to heat the water.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:50 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I've been down with lower back pain but I'm better now. I've been fighting with this water heater for over a year now. The first thing that I tried was checking and cleaning the burner tube and chamber, without using compressed air. I got my compressor back today and found a good sized wasp nest in the burner tube while blowing it out. Hopefully it is my problem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171001_131700[1].jpg
Views:	32
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	178425  
Old 10-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #9

Sounds like you might have a bad thermostat, or you got the two 'stats switched around when you replaced them. The ECO should have a higher temp rating than the regular 'stat. First thing I'd do is pull them and check their temp ratings. If they're correct, then replace the regular 'stat. This is, of course, assuming they are both already making good contact with the tank.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:12 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
O.K. The water heater has been on for over 48 hrs. and has not gone into lockout. I think it is working properly now. I blew compressed air alternating between the burner chamber and then back through the exhaust tube repeatedly. And then I could see the wasp nest back in the burner chamber where I could work it out with a long screwdriver. I want to thank everyone on here that commented and made suggestions. It was very encouraging and helpful.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater