Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2018, 01:43 PM   #1

Water heater mixing valve temperature too hot

I have an Atwood GE-16 which I believe is a 10 gallon water heater that acts as if it is 16 gallon. The theory (as i understand it) is that the water is hotter than normal and is mixed with the cold to provide more hot water.

My problem is that the shower controls seem to have a "hair trigger". The symptoms are that the shower will be too hot or too cold. When you try to adjust it the most minute movement of the hot or cold water valve will change the temperature too much. I spend more time adjusting the temperature than I do taking the actual shower.

Normal or not?
kmx888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #2

If your shower is a dual knob control , it might be worth your time to pull the control valve out and make sure the seal washer , that shuts down the flow is in good condition and not loose on it's mount screw.
If the mount screw is loose the washer floats around in the flow and will cause the condition you describe .
Old 06-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmx888 View Post
I have an Atwood GE-16 which I believe is a 10 gallon water heater that acts as if it is 16 gallon. The theory (as i understand it) is that the water is hotter than normal and is mixed with the cold to provide more hot water.

My problem is that the shower controls seem to have a "hair trigger". The symptoms are that the shower will be too hot or too cold. When you try to adjust it the most minute movement of the hot or cold water valve will change the temperature too much. I spend more time adjusting the temperature than I do taking the actual shower.

Normal or not?
That doesn't sound normal to me. Most coaches are single handle controlled. Do you know what brand you have?

If not, a picture of it might help someone here identify it for you. Or, take the cartridge out and go down to a plumbing store (even Lowes or HD) and try to match it up and replace the cartridge.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Both of our coaches and three boats have all been the same way.
I just learned to be careful and to make SMALL adjustments to the water temp. I just assumed it had something to do with low flow faucets/pumps and HOT water.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:11 PM   #5

If the hot water temp is too high, what you describe makes sense.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:36 PM   #6

Most of those have a Watts mixing valve. I had the opposite problem with my MH as the water was to cold. They soldered the head of the adjustment valve so in theory you could not adjust it. I popped the solder out and while my wife held a thermometer under the hot water flow, I was able to get it adjusted properly. That was about 6 years ago and it is still working properly.
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #7

I have the same Atwood heater and single handle shower valve. Ours is also similar to yours in that a very slight movement to hot makes it too hot. We have learned where the sweet spot is. Once set it stays at the selected temperature.

2006 Excursion 39s.
Rodzent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:30 PM   #8

Atwood 'EXT' models normal temp t-stat that controls the heating cycles is set for 160*F (hotter the temp the 'more' tempered hot water available---6 gal tank=9 gal of hot water/10 gal=16 gal)

The 'Mixing' valve is factory set for 130*F out for hot water system...still need to temper water at faucet/showers

Shower control can be finicky at best
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #9

I had the same issue so I installed a thermostatically controlled shower valve. I got the valve from Amazon $45. I set the temp then turn it on and in 10 seconds I have water the temperature I want. And it does not change when other loads are placed on the system. Second best mod I have done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170607_150352.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	206600  
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #10

X2. You can't imagine how great this thing is until you try it. Totally eliminates any quick hot or cold bursts. Looks like you mounted to a piece of cutting board like I did. I have pictures to share if anyone uses this method. May save you some head scratching.
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
I had the same issue so I installed a thermostatically controlled shower valve. I got the valve from Amazon $45. I set the temp then turn it on and in 10 seconds I have water the temperature I want. And it does not change when other loads are placed on the system. Second best mod I have done.
Any chance you can provide a link for the valve you bought on Amazon?
tscarps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KMA View Post
X2. You can't imagine how great this thing is until you try it. Totally eliminates any quick hot or cold bursts. Looks like you mounted to a piece of cutting board like I did. I have pictures to share if anyone uses this method. May save you some head scratching.

I’d like to see your pictures. I’m on the fence on this one.
Bloodyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodyhell View Post
I’d like to see your pictures. I’m on the fence on this one.
I had problems with pictures for some reason so I just put everything on a .PDF page. The quality of the pictures aren't the greatest but it'll get the message across. The link is
www.wouxun.us/Bounder/RV-Shower-Upgrade.pdf
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
redcolorado:

Don't you have a write up on this? I thought I seen it somewhere.
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, valve, water, water heater