Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #1

Water Heater not heating

Can anyone tell me why my water heater just gets luke warm. Running it on gas

mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2017, 12:19 PM   #2

Maybe outside faucet is on and mixing water.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
what color is the flame? should be bluish. if yellow then burner tube needs to be adjusted. or you're running continuous hot water and the water in the tank doesn't have enough time to heat up. or bad thermostat.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh2013 View Post
Can anyone tell me why my water heater just gets luke warm. Running it on gas
How about on electric?
Same just warm or hot?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:33 PM   #5

My electric side didn't work well on one trip this summer, turned out the thermostat was bad. If the thermostat is bad on the gas side it will turn off the burner before the water reaches the correct temp. If you have a Suburban, they have diagnostic procedures on their web site.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #6

I will check the flame color. We can't get it to work at all on electric side, it is a suburban 10 gal. I turned it to gas and let it run about 30 minutes before checking and it was barely above luke warm.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:43 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I will check the flame color. We can't get it to work at all on electric side, it is a suburban 10 gal. I turned it to gas and let it run about 30 minutes before checking and it was barely above luke warm.
On the electric side, at the water heater, you can take the plastic cover off the electric probe heater to see if your getting 110v, also there is an of/off switch on the water heater itself. If you are getting 110v then the electric heating element is bad, they are pretty cheap and easy to replace.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:45 PM   #8

Not much information on your coach. But I have to ask if it has a Watts mixing valve? If it does I experienced the same problem. Mine was supposed to be non-adjustable. I took it off and found they just soldered the adjusting screw so you could not adjust it, I picked the solder out and had my wife hold a thermometer under the running hot water while I adjusted it until I reached the correct temperature, that was about 5 years ago and it is still working. Not sure this is your case though.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:32 PM   #9

Best bet to work through the troubleshooting systematically.

The manual should help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Water Heater Troubleshooting - Suburban V1.3.pdf (1.67 MB, 5 views)
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #10

So, I just went thru this on a Suburban 10 gallon SW10 DEM.

Posted about it here: Suburban Hot Water Heater - How long to heat up initially and how to adjust flame?

Just got the solution today but I have not posted the update there, I will shortly with pics.

Quickly what I did, replaced the Anode and electric heating element, wanted to do anyways as I was not sure on history. Still now go.

Saw the video about the external shower head (actually got excited since I never new that could mix cold with hot) about turning off the head but keeping the faucet valves open. Was excited at first but no go. Checked bath shower head just in case, no go.

I knew cold water was being mixed with hot water, just had to find out where. Looked and finally found the bypass valve which really was in plain site , just had a couple hoses in front. For some reason, I thought the bypass valve would be next to / at the water heater. The bypass valve was next to the water manifold.

The handle was between 'bypass' and 'normal' operation (essentially at 45 degrees). Full Hot Water Now!!

That was it.

Wife can now take a Jacuzzi bath (this Coach has a jetted 'garden' tub). Happy Wife Happy Life?

I will update my original thread linked above with pictures soon.

1996 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
So, I just went thru this on a Suburban 10 gallon SW10 DEM.

Posted about it here: Suburban Hot Water Heater - How long to heat up initially and how to adjust flame?

Just got the solution today but I have not posted the update there, I will shortly with pics.

Quickly what I did, replaced the Anode and electric heating element, wanted to do anyways as I was not sure on history. Still now go.

Saw the video about the external shower head (actually got excited since I never new that could mix cold with hot) about turning off the head but keeping the faucet valves open. Was excited at first but no go. Checked bath shower head just in case, no go.

I knew cold water was being mixed with hot water, just had to find out where. Looked and finally found the bypass valve which really was in plain site , just had a couple hoses in front. For some reason, I thought the bypass valve would be next to / at the water heater. The bypass valve was next to the water manifold.

The handle was between 'bypass' and 'normal' operation (essentially at 45 degrees). Full Hot Water Now!!

That was it.

Wife can now take a Jacuzzi bath (this Coach has a jetted 'garden' tub). Happy Wife Happy Life?

I will update my original thread linked above with pictures soon.

Glad you solved the problem. Q
Old 12-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #12

Sorry so long getting back to this thread,I replaced heating element that was bad. I also took out the gas tube cleaned it, blowed out the gas chamber got good strong blue flame now, still luke warm water. Well here was the problem bypass valve was on bypass instead of normal. Thanks again for this forum, so much knowledge on here
Old 12-08-2017, 04:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Sorry so long getting back to this thread,I replaced heating element that was bad. I also took out the gas tube cleaned it, blowed out the gas chamber got good strong blue flame now, still luke warm water. Well here was the problem bypass valve was on bypass instead of normal. Thanks again for this forum, so much knowledge on here
Glad to hear you got your hot water back. No replacing Boots on the Ground.
Now you know how your hot water heater works.

Tags
heater, water heater, water, heating, heat