Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2016, 09:32 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Water Heater relief valve leaking

I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey, with an Atwood 10 gallon water heater. The pressure/temperature relief valve started leaking. First it would drip a little bit, just a drop a second or so. I opened and closed the valve, and it appeared to stop. It starter leaking a lot. I shut off water pressure, turned off the heater, and drained the tank. I sprayed a little (lot) of WD40 into the valve stem, thinking there might be some grit or rust on the stem. I turned the water on, and the heat. It looked good for a few minutes, and we went to dinner. When I returned, water was flowing out the relief port, pretty steadily. Not gushing, but flowing pretty good.

I put the water heater bypass valve in bypass, so water wouldn't flow to the water heater, and turned off the water heater switch.

I was told to change the overpressure valve, but suspect that it is just doing it's job. If there is a quick troubleshooting procedure I can do and a not too difficult maintenance fix, I'd like to fix it. Otherwise, we will take showers at the restroom and get it fixed when we return home in a few days. Any info is appreciated.

Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 09:41 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
s
Common issue with relief valve. Home Depot/Lowes has replacement - easy DIY fix!

Bronk

Old 06-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
s
Common issue with relief valve. Home Depot/Lowes has replacement - easy DIY fix!

Bronk
X2
Lynn
Old 06-13-2016, 09:57 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You could check the temp of the water coming out, but as others have said, it's probably just a defective valve!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:14 AM   #5

If you go to purchase a replacement valve from a big box store, confirm the thread size on your water heater before you leave. Some are 1/2" NPT and others are 3/4" NPT. It may save you a second trip if you do not chose wisely the first time.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:15 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Since you don't have a Suburban water heater this may not apply to yours, but its worth checking out.

Our Pressure Relief Valve was "dripping" when heater was on gas or electric didn't matter which. I was set to replace the Pressure and Temperature Valve as the dripping water was corroding everything steel in the compartment. Had been doing it for some time before I noticed small amount of water dripping from cover outside. Got the Suburban manual out to find PN of relief valve. While reading the manual, I found this bit of info.

WATER WEEPING OR DRIPPING FROM PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE
"You may experience water weeping or dripping from your water heater's P & T valve when your water heater is operating. Water weeping or dripping from the P & T valve does not always mean the P & T valve is defective. As water is heated, it expands. The water system in a RV is a closed system and does not allow for the expansion of heated water. When the pressure of the water system exceeds the relieving point of the P & T valve, the valve will relieve the excess pressure.
One way to reduce the frequency of this occurrence is to maintain an air pocket at the top of the water heater tank. This air pocket will form in the tank by design. However, it will be reduced over time by the everyday use of your water heater. "
Then it lists six steps to introduce air into the tank. Followed by this quote.

"Repeat this procedure as often as needed to reduce the frequency of the weeping of the P & T valve. If the weeping persists after following this procedure, you may elect to install an expansion or accumulator tank in the cold water line between the tank and check valve to relieve the pressure caused by thermal expansion."
It took years to happen to see water dripping from outside water heater panel. In that time of weeping/dripping water had corroded everything under the P & T valve. Our gas burner parts are so rusted they are unsafe to use. Sure wish I'd have known this a couple years ago. As for a water accumulator tank, our last SOB had one, (and never had this problem) but don't recall hearing of them in AB's. If you haven't removed your water heater outside cover lately, maybe you should.
This may not be the OP's leak problem, but felt it was a good place to introduce the Suburban allowed leak issue.

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter"
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:22 AM   #7

The valve has 2 functions. It'll relieve when the pressure is too high or when the temp is too hot. If the faucets aren't blowing the water glass out of your hand when you go to get a drink, you don't have a pressure problem. If the steam coming from the sink doesn't straighten your DW's new hair-do, you don't have a heat problem. Get a new valve.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I was able to find the exact same brand and model relief valve for my suburban heater at home depot. You may have good luck too.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
A brand new P&T relief valve may do the same thing. Many RV water heaters weep/drip water and since you don't look for it outside behind heater cover you don't know it till the rusted area is seen.
Since most newer RV water systems don't have accumulator tank or water hammer. The relief valve will pass water when the air pocket at top of water heater tank is lost. These systems are made to leak water out of P&T valve. Yes, a S&B house water plumping is different. Which is why most folks call for replacing the valve, they don't understand how these closed systems function.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey, with an Atwood 10 gallon water heater. The pressure/temperature relief valve started leaking. First it would drip a little bit, just a drop a second or so. I opened and closed the valve, and it appeared to stop. It starter leaking a lot. I shut off water pressure, turned off the heater, and drained the tank. I sprayed a little (lot) of WD40 into the valve stem, thinking there might be some grit or rust on the stem. I turned the water on, and the heat. It looked good for a few minutes, and we went to dinner. When I returned, water was flowing out the relief port, pretty steadily. Not gushing, but flowing pretty good.

I put the water heater bypass valve in bypass, so water wouldn't flow to the water heater, and turned off the water heater switch.

I was told to change the overpressure valve, but suspect that it is just doing it's job. If there is a quick troubleshooting procedure I can do and a not too difficult maintenance fix, I'd like to fix it. Otherwise, we will take showers at the restroom and get it fixed when we return home in a few days. Any info is appreciated.

You turned off water pressure, how much water pressure do you have which to much is a common cause for residential and rv to leak.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

This is hardly an unusual or difficult problem. Step #1 is to make sure the "Air head" in the tank is maintained at the proper level, and the heater op manual should have a procedure for that. Once you are sure the air head is OK, if it still drips the PTR valve should be replaced. It's a standard type, available at most any home or hardware store - nothing "RV" about it. Check the thread size, as somebody already advised. Best method is to remove the old one and take it with you to the store so they can match it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post

Boeing Guy
If/when the water heater looses it's head of air, (aka: air cushion), the T&P can leak.

See T&P Valve at this link: Water Heaters
Old 06-14-2016, 11:50 AM   #13

FWIW It would seem to me that the easiest way to troubleshoot the problem would be to turn off the heater and run out some hot water to cool things down. shut off the water, loosen the drain plug and let a gallon or two out then replace/tighten the drain plug. That puts air in the top. Then put the tank back in operation. If there is much of a leak it will not take long for the drip to come back.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:59 PM   #14

Triple E Owners Club
Turning the lever a couple of turns will rotate the valve on its seat and often cure the drip. I have done this several times when I thought I had a defective valve.

Tags
leak, heater, water heater, water, heat