Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #1

Water in filter

When we left Washington state we fill up our motorhome with diesel. About 30 miles later, I noticed a WIF (water in fuel) light on the dash. Not a good thing. I stopped at the next rest area, we called the fuel station, of course they said there was no water in their diesel. As we had not experianced any engine issues, I decided to keep on traveling. When the engine was started, the WIF went away. It came back within a couple miles however. I did not mention, but it was raining quite heavy while driving. I figured out that the WIF would go out when when the road was dry, and would come back on when it was raining. As the fuel system is a pressured system, I feel that it could not enter the system after the fuel pump. Also there would be evidence of a fuel leak as well. If water was getting into the tank, it seems like it would last longer than the rain time. Anyone know how the WIF detector works? Perhaps I am getting a water meassurement from water getting onto the connector? Any ideas?

Dwayne

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Are the seals good on your fuel tank cap(s)?

Old 12-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #3

WIF issue

The cap looks good, clicks like it should when I close it. I have not been able to get under and inspect the gasket around the fuel pump to see if I can see anything there yet. The curious thing is that it only lasted for one day. We had wet day the next day W/O any problems.

Dwayne
Old 12-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #4

your water/separator should be in the fuel line just before your first fuel filter. it will probably have a clear sediment bowl with a couple wires running to it.
if you see any water in the bottom of the bowl this is what is setting off your alarm and you will need to drain water from bowl (some are automatic,some have a button and some you need to do manually ) if there is water in it i would suggest you change the fuel filter also and keep an eye on f/s as you may have water in your fuel tank .
Old 12-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #5

I'm not sure who made the frame/engine combo on your Monaco, but Freightliner chassis have a known issue where the WIF light comes on while driving in wet weather or after washing the rig. Repeated checks find no or only a few drops of water when the filter is drained. Some sort of a wire problem that lets the water into the sensor from outside in spite of all efforts to seal the system. You may have the same bug. After draining the filter 3-4 times without finding a water contaminated system, and I'd be ignoring the light.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
your water/separator should be in the fuel line just before your first fuel filter. it will probably have a clear sediment bowl with a couple wires running to it.
Most Cummins the water sensor is in the final filter before the injectors not the W/S filter.

But the OP never said what engine he has. 1 filter or 2 filters?
Old 12-29-2012, 04:29 AM   #7

The question was how do these sensors work?

Clean diesel fuel and water have different resistance.

Somewhere in the fuel system there is a sensor. Many times is is in a plastic cup on the bottom of the fuel filter.

It is in simple form just two metal probes. The ECM watches the resistance between these probes. In response to the conditions at the probe the ECM turns on the dash light or not.

Generally water has a lower resistance than clean diesel fuel. If the cup is clean and there is no water present then the ECM keeps the dash light off.

Water will settle under the fuel so if water is picked up from the tank it settles in the cup. This lowers the resistance across the probes and the ECM turns on the light. Now some servicers do not clean out the cup when they replace the fiilter, this can cause the following; water will rust the inside the tank and the water will carry this to the inside of the cup and coat it with a rusty residue. Bingo the light comes on because of the residue when there is no free water present.

Another problem is the water tight plugs used in the wiring harness. They can leak water during a rain storm from road splash. The metal connectors inside of the plugs now act as probes and sense the water and turn on the dash light. As soon as the splash quits and the engine heat dries out the plug then the light goes out.

Easy fix for these problems.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:42 AM   #8

Oh, the fix.

You need to find the sensor location on your rig. I will work from one installed in the plastic cup on the bottom of a fuel filter.

Go buy a new filter and a filter wrench if you do not already own one. Go the the auto parts store and get a tube of diaelectric grease. If you have a air compressor with a blow gun get it out.

Not far from the cup you will find a wiring plug. Un-plug this and remove the cup and filter. Install the new filter, Clean out the inside of the cup with a brush and some clean diesel fuel. Reinstall the cup. Pay attention that the gaskets stay in place. take your blow gun and blow any water in the wiring plug away when the plug (both halves) are clean and dry pack them with some of the grease. Plug them together. Work your way back up the wiring harness looking for more plugs in the sensor circuit, if you find then pull them apart clean and dry them and pack them also. Check your manual and see if there any special procedures to follow after a fuel filter change. My Cat engine requires none except to start up the engine and run it long enough to warm it up, during this time it self purges any air back into the top of the fuel tank.

The grease will keep the rain water out of the plugs.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #9

What I did NOT read is where the OP drained the filter when the light WIF light came on. While getting a wet connection is possible, I would have checked my primary filter first and drained the fuel out. It is possible for water to build up over time if the filter is not drained on a regular schedule.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:36 AM   #10

Right on point, open the water drain each morning before start-up and drain any water. Do the same after each fuel fill up. If the water in fuel light is on do it again.

I think the question was how does this sensor work, not how do I drain the water.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
WIF light

Glenn Allen: what a great post on troubleshooting WIF light. A lot of folks should read this just to become familiar if it happens to them.

EXCELLENT
Old 12-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=R2Home;1413432] It is possible for water to build up over time if the filter is not drained on a regular schedule.
No it is not normal to ever have a water build up and if you ever find water in your filters it was pumped into the tank or from not keeping the tank full and condensating. I never have had to check or drain my filters and if you have had water in your filter the element is shot and needs replaced not drained everyday. The element is designed to pass petroleum fuel and not water, water will soak into the element and plug it off.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:27 AM   #13

palehorse89 is right on point. Nothing but fuel is supposed to be in the fuel. No water, no fungus, no bactieria. But sadly this is not the case. Those who do not do the walk around just before start-up will be the ones who complain about the fuel station not delivering clean fuel. Of course I do that but it is because they cost me un-neccessary fuel filter changes.

If water reaches the filter element the fibers swell and the filter tends to plug off. If you are finding water in the cup then schedule filter changes.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #14

This has been very helpful. I had that same problem a while back, couldn't figure out what to do , took it in to a shop and paid through the nose to get it corrected. Now I know what to look for!
Thanks everyone!!!!

Tags
water