Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-26-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
water injection on a gas engine

I am in the process of buying a older RV 1984 with 454 chevy

And i am looking for a cheap water injection kit (water only)

Yes i know many will claim they don't work
I have run home made water injection kits out here in the Calif desert and under certain conditions they do work.

Out here in the Calif desert during the summer when the temperatures reach 110 and the humidity in down below 50% they work. Most of the time in the desert during the summer the humidity is below 10% where water injection works the best.

Many that have tried them and found they don't work live in high humidity areas where of course they don't work.

My problem is finding a cheap kit that is RPM controlled and does not sell a tank with it. as i can use the RV water tank.

I also plan to convert from carburetor to TBI fuel injection but likely will have to wait till i move out of Calif to do that as i have not found a CARB approved conversion kit.

All i can find are kits for small cars with turbo chargers and water/methanol kits for diesels.

augoldminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm a engineer that has done many cost analysis. If the system to save gas/money is say over a $100 the payback is so far out that it usually is not cost effective unless you drive a lot more than the normal RV'er.
Even the $10 I spent my ram air has a 3000 mile breakeven. And a $360 "chip" will take 22K miles to breakeven before you start saving.
Drive slower, hold your foot steady, get rid of weight.
But then doing the project for fun maybe the point....

Full Timers.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E on a Freightliner XCS chassis with a Cummins ISL9 pulling 1 and/or 2 motorcycles, '07 Honda Accord OR a 17' Runabout Boat.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
Sounds like to me hes trying to save the heads on that 80s model 454, cool them down with that water.

Back when we had the 460, was looking for systems to help those heads & seems like I remember somebody had made one out of a high pressure RV water pump & motor, but dont remember how they controled the spray into the engine.
Theres several kits on the market, & I think JC Whitney had the cheapest one.
C-Leigh Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Back in the day, we used water injection to kill the pinging when we advanced the timing.

Course in the 70's, gas was barely gas....
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Back in the day, we used water injection to kill the pinging when we advanced the timing.

Course in the 70's, gas was barely gas....
But it was gas without ethanol!
1999 Dynasty 40'PBS
txtode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Inexpensive is a relative term for water injection.

Information, sources, etc that may be of some use to you.

Water Injection Overview
Water Injection How-To
Water Injection Installation

Do It Yourself Water Alcohol Methanol Injection

Install the injection nozzle in a plastic carb spacer under the carb.

Dave in Virginia
1978 Winnebago Chieftain
Dodge M400 - 440-3
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote

gas, water