Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2016, 09:45 PM   #1

Question Water Intrusion and Service Issues With Fleetwood

My wife and I are first time RVr’s. This was my idea. After six years of working on the other end of the planet and home 2-3 days per month, I thought getting an RV would be a great way for us to spend more time together now that I am back working close to home. So I sold my Roush Mustang, researched endlessly and purchased our first Fleetwood RV. Unfortunately what was intended to bring us closer together has done exactly the opposite.

We purchased out 2016 Fleetwood in mid-October. We took it out once. It has since spent nearly 8 weeks sitting in the dealer's service center. The delivery of our RV should have been an omen. As first time RVr's, we naturally wanted to learn as much as possible in the delivery orientation. Instead we were fast-tracked through the process and we left scratching our heads on numerous operational items. But what was most distressing was the filthy condition of the vehicle. Every storage door seal was caked with dirt. The dashboard, jack-knife couch, recliner, and bathroom counters/cabinets all needed cleaning. There is an oily stain on the jack knife couch that we have been unable to remove. White streaks ran down the sides coming from the roof. The entrance door handle has a white substance on it presumably left over from when the RV was waxed for the show it was in. A chunk of the rear bumper step non-slip tread is missing.

Then on November 14th, 37 days and one short overnight trip into our ownership, I discovered serious water intrusion in the bedroom presumably via the rear slide-out. Our new custom mattress was soaked through, the side table covered with water and the outside surface of the cabinet where the bed slides in was bubbling up from the moisture. I immediately called the RV service center and was told that they couldn’t look at it for 2-3 weeks because they had a long list of winterizations to complete. I asked if I could bring it down, leave it inside and they get to it when they can - the answer was no. I pulled the mattress out and spent the next three days keeping water mopped up as best I could. On 11/17 I sent a follow up request to the service department and this time was instructed to bring it in.

I will say that I wrote Fleetwood's customer service department and received a response. The woman I spoke to was as helpful as she could be. I was told the repair would be expedited. There was some light at the end of the tunnel.

It is now January 5th, our RV has been out of our hands longer than it was in our hands, we’ve made three loan payments, three insurance payments and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. Apparently the service department is waiting for a piece of wood from Fleetwood to replace what was damaged by the flooding. Of major concern is the water damage I can't see and future mold issues. There was a mold warning flier in the RV when we brought it home, so I have to assume that this is something I should be concerned about.

My wife wants me to return the RV back to the Fleetwood dealer and demand our money back, but of course it’s not that simple.

So, do we keep the coach, press Fleetwood to replace it, or get something in writing insuring they will address any mold issues after the coach is out of warranty?
lopaka.dye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 10:26 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have that many problems with a new unit especially the water issues that could cause delamination of your fiberglass sides down the road, even with all the repairs you need done, I would personally contact a rv lemon law attorney, see what they think and try to get the dealer or the manufacturer to take it back. we had to do that back in 2003 and the process takes about a year, maybe sooner. it shouldn't cost you any out of pocket expense as the attorneys cost will be paid by the dealer/manufacturer.
Diane98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:38 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lemon laws very rarely apply to RV's and then usually only for safety defects to the chassis. But your state may be different so check it out.
Our '02 Dutch Star was at the dealers for 113 days out of the first 305 days of ownership. It took a trip to Spartan and Newmar to get it taken care of. Then it was the best rig we've ever owned over the 13 years we kept it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:56 AM   #4

It would help a lot if you told us the coach model and your location. Fleetwood has 2 factory service centers one in Indiana the other in Oregon. I can vouch for the IN center they are exceptionally competent. If practical taking your coach to either would expedite your relief.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:49 AM   #5

Based on your description it appears the dealer is the primary impediment. There was a recent thread in the Newmar owners forum where new owners had a leak. Took time to resolve but you may want to reach out to the owner and see if he has any guidance as he just went through this and it was a huge learning experience for him as well. His coach did go back to the factory, however in the end it couldn't be saved.

Good luck, l hope you reach satisfactory resolution. I wouldn't let this experience sour your original logic, being together on the road can be a lot of fun.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:09 AM   #6

Sounds like you got a real lemon. Too bad. My one year old coach was going back to get minor things fixed several times. Only once did it take more than a week to get resolved. It sounds to me like you may have to try to get this back to the factory for resolution. I know that's not what you'd like to hear, but it may be the only recourse.

This isn't just a fleetwood issue, you'll see issues like this with all manufacturers.

What model coach do you have?
Old 01-06-2016, 07:24 AM   #7

Dealers are limited in warranty repair and may make more on regular work.

Lean on the manufacturer to get it fixed.

A lever to pull is to mention that the warranty clock stops the second an in warranty item is reported and if the unit is out of your possession the clock stops for the whole unit bumper to bumper and you will expect them (the manufacturer) to provide a new warranty document or letter clearly showing new warranty dates after the unit is repaired.

Those dates are extended from original dates by the number of days the unit is out of your hands.

You may need to call your state consumer affairs office as this is their area of enforcement.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:44 AM   #8

Here is the first thread I referenced in my prior post. It is very long and there are follow-up threads as well. I would reach out to Mike for his guidance on handling this situation.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/expe...er-243012.html

Good luck, hope you get this resolved.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #9

Thanks everyone. My model is the Fleetwood Flair 25E. What's ironic is we decided to go smaller for our first time out then trade up in a couple of years to a 30'+ if we were liking it. I can't trade in a motorhome with mold issues. I spoke to Fleetwood today ( Joy is very nice and doing what she can) and she told me she called Funtime RV and they had not even ordered the parts! When I asked her what recourse I had if I developed mold issues or delaminating due to this and I was a month out of warranty - she didn't think I had any recourse. Just very frustrating. The time sitting in the shop is a small issue really compared to the potential long term damage and ineptness of the dealer.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #10

26E - not 25E.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How close are you to the Feetwood service center in the west, it might be the time to drop it in their lap for needed repairs.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #12

If it's Funtime RV in Oregon, then in my opinion that's your main issue. I believe Fleetwood has a service center in Coburg Oregon. That might be an option

Steve

2006 Windsor PRT
Dalsn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:58 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I would definitely take it to the factory repair center if you are having problems that are this serious. Sorry to say I would never trust a dealer to fix it properly, especially after you find out that dealer is already lying to you about parts. I will say the Coburg repair center has always done a great job for us.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #14

I'm confused. How can a 2016 you bought last October be out of warrantee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopaka.dye View Post
Thanks everyone. My model is the Fleetwood Flair 25E. What's ironic is we decided to go smaller for our first time out then trade up in a couple of years to a 30'+ if we were liking it. I can't trade in a motorhome with mold issues. I spoke to Fleetwood today ( Joy is very nice and doing what she can) and she told me she called Funtime RV and they had not even ordered the parts! When I asked her what recourse I had if I developed mold issues or delaminating due to this and I was a month out of warranty - she didn't think I had any recourse. Just very frustrating. The time sitting in the shop is a small issue really compared to the potential long term damage and ineptness of the dealer.

Tags
fleetwood, service, water