Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #1

Water leak & damage

Have found a preexisting leak in the roof of a 1997 Southwind I was told had no leaks when we bought it last year.Having said that the leak is down from the skylite to the edge ,the wood paneling between the rubber foofing and insulation has gone(rotted).Would any one have any suggestion how to repair.
Thanks for any help
Jim R

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Without looking at it it will be had to give a recommendation. Would it be possible to post any pictures?

How does the caulking look on the roof where the skylight and roof material meet? Maybe the old caulking needs to be removed and new (dicor) need to be applied?

Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by odaat View Post
Have found a preexisting leak in the roof of a 1997 Southwind I was told had no leaks when we bought it last year.Having said that the leak is down from the skylite to the edge ,the wood paneling between the rubber foofing and insulation has gone(rotted).Would any one have any suggestion how to repair.
Thanks for any help
Jim R
This is the most problematic area on the roof. Skylights are large areas and prone to leak. The good news is, the skylight when removed, will give you a lot of room to access the repair. Remove the inner and outer skylights. pull and cut out the dryrotted wood, until you get back to good wood.Spray with bleach, to kill any mold. Let dry overnight. Now go back with new wood and reinstall the skylight.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #4

After taking care of the rotten wood, and re-installing the skylight, I'd run Eternabond all around the skylight to roof junction. Putting about 2" on the skylight, and 2" on the roof (4" wide strip). Cut to overlap on the corners. This has been working for me for 5 years now. I've even been successful sealing cracks in the skylight caused by tree branches with Eternabond.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I second the EternaBond recommendation.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #6

Water leak and Damage

Thanks for the reply's I will be starting repairs down the road
will post the out come.
Thanks again
Jim Ridley
Old 12-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Guess what? i found that my skylight is leaking today. Last spring I had a dealer repair several leaks, most of the seams still look good but the street side of the skylight seam was cracked. I caulked it, but just wondering if it could be moving to break that 9 month old "fix" that they did. Any ideas???
Old 12-21-2011, 07:29 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
Guess what? i found that my skylight is leaking today. Last spring I had a dealer repair several leaks, most of the seams still look good but the street side of the skylight seam was cracked. I caulked it, but just wondering if it could be moving to break that 9 month old "fix" that they did. Any ideas???
Too many times the dealer just shoots a little sealant on top of the old seal. We got the best results when we cleaned the old sealant off and then installed new sealant.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Eternabond, Eternabond, Eternabond. Last 10-15 years, easy to apply. Clean area to be applied per directions then cut to length & roll it down. No need to remove the dicor sealant, goeson & adheres right over top of it.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
Eternabond, Eternabond, Eternabond. Last 10-15 years, easy to apply. Clean area to be applied per directions then cut to length & roll it down. No need to remove the dicor sealant, goeson & adheres right over top of it.
Yes, Yes, Yes. dsbike speaks the truth. It's not the cheapest way to fix it, but it's the best way if you don't want to fix it again.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Guys, thanks for the quick response. just need to ask? the dealer put some gray caulk about four inches wide around the skylight, then i used some RV caulk yesterday to fill the 1/8 crack. If i follow directions on the eternabond, it just goes over all that??
Thanks
Old 12-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
Guys, thanks for the quick response. just need to ask? the dealer put some gray caulk about four inches wide around the skylight, then i used some RV caulk yesterday to fill the 1/8 crack. If i follow directions on the eternabond, it just goes over all that??
Thanks
It could, but if it were me, I'd try to remove as much of the old stuff as possible, just because it would make me feel better. Anything you put on your RV roof is only as good as whatever you are sticking it to. I'd try to get down to the base material to apply the Eternabond to.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #13

re water leak

Well finally got the job done and on our way home just remembered to let you all know how it went.I had to remove the coating that a service depot had done.It was easy as they had not cleaned the surface at all so the rubber came off easy all excpt one small spot this exposed the problem which was holes in the rubber and water under the membrane.Opened the roof at the skylight to the curved edge also found a problem at the front drivers side and back about 4ft this time I opened it at the front down the side to remove moisture and across the front to re place rotten 1/8in plywood.Here the manufacture messed up the strip that ties the nose clip and the roof togeather was not screwed down properly causing the caulking to crack and allow water to be driven in when driving in the rain again replaced the underlay 1/8 whiich was held in place by PL300 caulk
the membrane was relayed using contact cement the old style with a brush works the best.
I then applyed Rapid Roof lll to the joints & around all vent edges etc with a supplied spinflex tape over this there is three coats of Rapid Roof.this all followed two days off scrubbing which is the most demanding part of the repair.If you have a rubber roof that needs to be replaced this is a cheaper way out. Check out WWW RV Roofing.com
Do hope you can make sence out of this
Thank you Jim R
Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Opps, guess I should reply also.. Thank you for the Eternabond suggestion. I cleaned the area and put eternabond around the skylight and am verry happy with it. i also have about 30 ft of eternabond left over for future. Thanks for the help.

Tags
leak, water