Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #57

Carolina Campers
Did you try replacing the pump? Or at least doing some analysis to insure it is working correctly?
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #58

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Beeper I agree you are missing something. In your earlier post you said you could hook up to a garden hose and get water through your system. I am assuming that hook up is where you would hook city water. This makes me believe your plumbing system is ok. I would be surprised if your pump is bad since you said it worked before all of this. I am curious do you hear the pump running when you turn it on. I still feel like the big problem is that you do not have the pipe going to the pump hooked up. Until you find that pipe and run water to it you cannot hook anything else up. I will look forward to your posts when you get back. If you want to talk on the phone about it when you get back send me a message and I will give you a call

Have fun on your trip
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #59

Because we live in a township we have to take our “junk” to the town dumpster. I went there before I left last week and found (see pics) the valve system, but I do not know how it was connected on the fill side.
I was able to fill the tank before we left on vacation and get water by draining it into a bucket.

Any Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0199.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	439.6 KB
ID:	70214   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0201.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	70215  

Beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
In looking at your picture, I see the line going down from the tank has a slight bend in it. That will cut off flow. Try shortening it so it is more straight.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #61

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok I am sure I am not the only one thinking it but I will say it. I can not believe you just cut all of that out. That being said if you are going to engineer your own system my advice is still the same find the line going to the pump it all starts there for your problem. If you can go on line or call a manufacturer or something and find where the pump is. Go find it and you can start there. Turn on power and see if it comes on. if it does let us know and we can continue to try to help you.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #62

I cut the leaky valve system out because I didn’t think it would be a big deal …. It’s only a holding tank with a 12 volt pump. I finally had time to try to find the pump. I crawled under the RV and my wife hit the switch the pump ran 5-7 seconds and stopped. “Rrrrrrrrr” I do not see it under the RV on the frame work and I do not see it under the bed, the top of the diesel motor is under there.
I think I might post another thread asking “any 1998 Coachmen where is the water pump? I did have very good running water the day before I cut out the valve system and you could hear the pump run after I cut the valves out.
Maybe the pump was bad. Thoughts?
Old 08-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #63

Gulf Streamers Club
Usually the water pump is located in a heated space or compartment. Check for space in the bottom of a cabinet or closet. Some are in a space under the refrigerator. If you can hear it, you should be able track it down. Also, they are usually lower than the water tank so they prime themselves.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #64

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post
I cut the leaky valve system out because I didn’t think it would be a big deal …. It’s only a holding tank with a 12 volt pump. I finally had time to try to find the pump. I crawled under the RV and my wife hit the switch the pump ran 5-7 seconds and stopped. “Rrrrrrrrr” I do not see it under the RV on the frame work and I do not see it under the bed, the top of the diesel motor is under there.
I think I might post another thread asking “any 1998 Coachmen where is the water pump? I did have very good running water the day before I cut out the valve system and you could hear the pump run after I cut the valves out.
Maybe the pump was bad. Thoughts?
Ok this might be something to work with. If she hit it and it ran 5-7 seconds then stopped that sounds like it was getting water and pressured up then shut off. Kinda fast to do that but if it did not have water pressure then it should have run nonstop until you shut it off. I wonder if you installed any check valves back in with old piping or something. There might be a checkvalve installed backward somewhere. When the pump comes on and shuts off. Can you open a valve somewhere and get it back on. or can you shut it off and get it back on when you turn it back on a second time. or do you have to wait a while to get it to come back on. ?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #65

Hello guys
I found the pump and it is located under the refrigerator. It does not run and the system is not pressurized. I checked the fuse and the fuse is good so it must be the pump. What are the chances??? Gezzzz!
It looks like an easy in and out procedure and I’m thinking of maybe installing a little bigger pump. I won’t have a lot of time this week to work on it but I’m hoping Saturday for sure. Can you buy the pumps at Home Depot?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140811_092326.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	70513   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140811_092334.jpg
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	70514  

Name:	20140811_092714.jpg
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	70515  
Old 08-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #66

Carolina Campers
Water leak on control valve. See pic

Well, good you found it. Just hope that if you replace it that it fixes the issue. There must be a way to have it checked out before replacing it... Regardless, it may not cost too much anyway to replace it.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #67

Gulf Streamers Club
An RV water pump is 12 v DC, has a back flow valve and a pressure switch to shut off when the plumbing system is up to pressure. I don't think you'll find one at Home Depot. They are available at most RV supply houses, Amazon, Ebay, etc. Also, your pump might be very repairable, running it without water could mean the impeller heated up, melted, and stalled the motor. A rebuild kit is available for many models.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #68

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You have to have a pump that is made for potable water. I do not believe any of the 12 volt pumps at home depot are potable water pumps.

I would take off the input water line to my pump and see if there is any water coming out of it. Your water tank should gravity feed the pump. If there is not any water coming out take something and hook up the air hose to the line and see where air comes out. Before you replace the pump you need to make sure it is hooked up where your fresh water tank can get water to the pump.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:27 PM   #69

National RV Owners Club
Those pumps are not impeller pumps. They are multivalved and do self prime. That one looks like a Shurflo to me. A pump that won't shut off can have two problems. First a column of air ahead of it that is cleared by opening a faucet. Second, an air source on the pickup side that allows air into the suction side. My vote is number two based on reading your posts.
I do not believe your pump is faulty and I wouldn't run out and replace it.
These pumps are not cheap, and you need to and get the model that is configured for the design of your system, which does not have an accumulator tank. Pumps that are intended for a system with an accumulator will not tolerate the constant on/off the pump experiences in your system. Flojet is another manufacturer. I like them best myself, but to each his own. Flojet makes a package with an accumulator that would fit right under your fridge. Both brands are used in the marine industry, which is where I used them. These pumps can be run dry for a period of time with no damage, but I wouldn't do it intentionally. Mine ran for a couple of hours a few years back. We were on the road with not much water in the tank. The crown in the road shifted the water to the passenger side of the tank and the pump went dry. It is still going strong!
I agree with the other guys! You need an accurate schematic and all pipes need to be correctly identified before you start over!.
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
You have to have a pump that is made for potable water. I do not believe any of the 12 volt pumps at home depot are potable water pumps.

I would take off the input water line to my pump and see if there is any water coming out of it. Your water tank should gravity feed the pump. If there is not any water coming out take something and hook up the air hose to the line and see where air comes out. Before you replace the pump you need to make sure it is hooked up where your fresh water tank can get water to the pump.
I have a portable air tank and I will check this out on Saturday. I don’t think this system is gravity fed because I had the tank full after I cut out the valves and the pump at that time would not prime/pressurize the system.
I attached a picture of how I fed water to the system with a garden hose and I had perfect flow and it even filled the hot water heater. I wonder if it was possible that the valve system filled the water tank and when switched back it to the "use" valve pushed/pumped water into that line.
Note: That is a cold waterline that I have the hose hooked up to fed the utility showerhead in that bay.
Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20140730_102251.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	70594  

Tags
leak, water, water leak