RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #1

Water line leaking

My 2004 Gulfstream Sunvoyager has sprung a leak. I have fresh water dripping off the top of my black water tank, I am pretty sure it is coming from one of the supply lines. I fear I may have to remove at least one of the tanks to replace the line, as the grey and black water tanks set side by side with only a couple inches between them. To compound the problem water lines and the heat tube for the tanks run perpendicular to the motor home between the tanks? And there is no room on top or below the tanks?

So I need lots of help on this project. Where do I start? do I have to remove tanks?

And advise would be greatly appreciated.

hoggem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 06:52 PM   #2

Without actually seeing your coach, it will be very hard to see a perfect solution so bear in mind that most answers will be a spitball at a fan.
My first question is are you sure that it is a line leaking? If you haven't, d/c the city water connection and go to the pump and see if it regularly cycles on and off. If it doesn't, then it isn't a fresh water line, unless you think it may be the actual city water line that is leaking.
The next question is do you foresee a way to remove the tanks? Mine were put into place before the flooring, so in my case I would have to consider cutting the floor.
Also, do you see a possible access for a small camera to snake in there to see?

Old 06-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #3

It is just a small drip off the top of the black tank. when I hooked up to city water it started dripping? did not check the pump.

My tanks may have been installed before the flooring also. And I would be happy to send photos?

Mel

I know I will have to remove vent pipe, stool, and drain valve at the very least. What I was hoping for is to be able to access the water line that is leaking but have not ben able to do that very tight area with lots of lines wires etc.

Thanks for your input and if you think of anything else please let me know.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:44 PM   #4

My fleeting thought was possibly a condensation drip if it is only a drip. I know that the goal during manufacturing is to not put a union in any lines and keep connections to a minimum.
The thing about water is that it can travel a long distance in enclosed spaces and pop out somewhere totally different. My best guess right now is to try to use a micro snake camera to follow the leak back and see where it is hitting the tank. Also, check the base of your walls and flooring above the black tank for moisture and softness.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:10 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, I would check to see if you have a problem with the water pump on to narrow your search.

If your coach is like many your bathroom and shower is above the blank tank.

I would check all the lines going to any of the faucets and toilet to make sure you don't have a leak at one of those that is running down onto the black tank.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:37 AM   #6

Would anyone know if there is a way to remove the tank? were the tanks installed and the floor laid over the top? Is cutting the floor the only way to remove them?

There is so little room, very difficult to trace any on the water lines, can't even get my fingers around them. Black foam around some of them I assume to secure them.

Tanks set up against the floor, and right next to each other with water lines and heater duct between them?

more exploring today wish me luck.

BIG thanks all
Old 06-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #7

Can you get to the ends of the lines where you can cut them and then use the one you are pulling out to feed the new one thru? If so, that may be a better solution that having to tear stuff out to get to them.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:31 PM   #8

Taking out the tank to fix a water leak (that you haven't yet identified) would have to be a last ditch, and very complicated and expensive, effort.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:57 PM   #9

There should be access in the showers and/or a Panel to access behind the shower. Check there first. Pressure up and look in every possible place. I pullled the tanks once and still couldn’t do what I wanted because there is no room at all between them and floor I wanted to shore up. It was a pain to get back.
Robbiebrake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:17 PM   #10

First be very sure of what is leaking and do not THINK it is the problem. Next locate the line on both sides of the tank. DO not remove the tank. Cut the line on both sides and repipe around the tanks. Getting a diagram from the manufacturer would be most helpful.

Winterize your water lines with antifreeze and see if it leaks pink.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #11

Chance of freezing last winter?

The Rigid snake camera idea is a good one.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #12

Removing tank WILL be last resort.

bought a snake, but there is literally no room to maneuver it??

Rv was winterized with pink stuff.

Lines run horizontal between tank and vertical at ends of tank Problem is no room to trace them?

NO access in or around shower! or anywhere else I have found.

And I would really love to get a diagram, but Gulfstream no longer makes the class A rigs? If anyone could provide me a set I would send the a quart of good stuff!

I will keep looking, I will hook up a hose to the system today and try again to locate the source.

great big thanks to every you are all appreciated

any other ideas? ill be checking
Old 06-15-2019, 08:19 PM   #13

Get a air fitting to go into your shore water inlet (used to blow out the water lines to winterize) and pressurize the water lines to 40-50psi. Blow the water out through all of the faucets, toilet, washer, etc. Then close all the valves and faucets and see what happens. This will identify if the water lines have a leak (air pressure will drop) and might give a hissing noise from escaping pressurized air if there is a leak and maybe help locate it. If the water lines hold that air pressure over an hour or so, then your leak is in the drain system. This would be a cheap and easy diagnostic.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:46 PM   #14

Great idea thank you, and I think I might have the fitting in on of my tool boxes

Tags
leak, water