Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2015, 08:24 PM   #1

Water not getting to water pump on 2009 HR Ambassador

Hello! I have a 2009 Holiday Rambler Ambassador. I de-winterized and went out camping this last weekend only to find the water pump never producing a consistent stream of water to any faucet as a lot of air was coming through, and this was after allowing a long time for all the air to escape.

When I got home I plugged a water hose into the fresh water supply and water comes through to every faucet fine that way.

After doing some more troubleshooting I found very little water was making it from the fresh water tank to the water pump so I am guessing perhaps there is a leak somewhere in the water line between the tank and the water pump?

If that is the case, how do I find where the leak is? I've visually inspected all the PEX water tubing I can see when tracing the line from the water tank to the water pump inlet but no luck.

Ideas / thoughts are very welcome!

Rainman -
Rainman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #2

Their should be a filter/strainer in the suction line between the pump and FW tank. You can unscrew the housing and check/clean it.
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #3
YC1

I have had mine sucking air and used a garden hose to put water into one of the pipes/hoses that are used for draining or winterizing. Can't remember which one but the thing just needed to get the air out. You might accomplish the same thing by filling the tank and then opening the winterizing valves etc.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:07 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Is it possible that your winterization valve(s) are not in the proper configuration? Sounds like your water pump may be sucking air through a winterization valve.

Take care,
Syu
Old 03-24-2015, 07:04 AM   #5

Thanks for all your thoughts.

I unscrewed the screen / strainer that sits on the inbound side of the water pump and it is clean.

I also connected a hose to the fresh water supply connector and let water run to the faucets for a few minutes thinking that maybe the air just needed to get flushed from the lines. Once that was done the water pump ran great for a minute or two but then went back to the same behavior of air mixing with water out of the faucets and the pump running continuously.

The winterization / drain valves have been closed / opened several times as well while I have been working on this but no luck there.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #6
YC1

Try connecting your shoreline hose to the Winterization inlet and open the valve to let water in through the pump. If there is an air bubble the pump will cavitate and not draw water. You might try opening the bottom drain valve while the hose is running as well to completely purge the lines of air.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wet+Bay.compressed.pdf (90.4 KB, 41 views)

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:26 PM   #7

Gave that a try also and no luck.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:46 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do not know the answer to this but will suggest it anyway. If your water tank is fairly full and you take the strainer between the water tank and the pump off will the tank flow water through the strainer. I think the tank is probably gravity feed to the pump ( the pump does suck some i know but for the most part it is downhill from the tank. If it does not flow water have you tried an air hose and put in where the strainer goes and try blowing air into the fresh water tank. Also did you try putting a hose with a small amount of water flow ( no need to get a lot of water everywhere)at the strainger opening and see if the pump would pump that through the lines.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:06 PM   #9

Water not getting to water pump on 2009 HR Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman13 View Post
Hello! I have a 2009 Holiday Rambler Ambassador. I de-winterized and went out camping this last weekend only to find the water pump never producing a consistent stream of water to any faucet as a lot of air was coming through, and this was after allowing a long time for all the air to escape.

When I got home I plugged a water hose into the fresh water supply and water comes through to every faucet fine that way.

After doing some more troubleshooting I found very little water was making it from the fresh water tank to the water pump so I am guessing perhaps there is a leak somewhere in the water line between the tank and the water pump?

If that is the case, how do I find where the leak is? I've visually inspected all the PEX water tubing I can see when tracing the line from the water tank to the water pump inlet but no luck.

Ideas / thoughts are very welcome!

Rainman -

I've read the other posts suggesting fixes and they are all good.

One more thing to try.

Loosen the out put line right at the water pump. Turn on the pump and let it pump for just a few seconds and tighten the line back up. Sometimes the pump will develop an internal air lock and will not pressurize.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:51 PM   #10

Maybe try removing the cap from where you fill the water tank and then run the pump. If the vent line for the water tank is clogged/obstructed it will cause a vacuum and not let the water flow freely from the tank.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:27 AM   #11

Thanks all for the good ideas. I'm going to give these ideas a try this weekend as it is in storage for the next couple of days and see which one does the trick!
Old 04-21-2015, 07:19 AM   #12

Sorry for the delayed response!

Turns out the problem was the a defective connector on the pex tubing on the input side of the water pump. Once a new connector and section of pex tubing was replaced the water pump was able to draw water from the water tank just fine.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 04-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #13

Just thought I would add My 2 cents worth

Getting ready for our first trip of the year and get the trailer out of storage and brought it home. Connected the electric and water, tested all the systems and then partly filled the water tank to check out the pump and so on. Well, the pump worked, sort of, but lots of air and it would not shut off. That's what led me to this thread. So, I connected a water jug to the inlet and was relieved to see the pump gained pressure and shut off through several on off cycles. So I was left thinking I might have an air leak on the inlet side. Not so easy to check as most lines are inaccessible. So before I did anything drastic, I filled the tank to the top and the pump started acting normal again. Hopefully it will do so as I continue to draw down the tank.
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:37 PM   #14

Water tanks are gravity feed to the pump therefore there should be no air in the line to the pump since the weight of the water would force it out. The same weight should fill the pump without air IF you have left an escape for the wir by opening a faucet.

Therefore since it isn't pumping water i assume it is the impeller blades within the pump. Sometimes a small object, usually plastic from manufacturing, can get in there and either jam the impeller or brake it, So take the pump apart and look

Tags
water, water pump